Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-13-2017, 01:19 PM   #1

Flordia Keys after Christmas

We were hoping to get reservations in one of the state parks in the keys for a few days in the 2 weeks after Christmas this year. My wife and I were on the computer every day a site was coming available at 8am when the sites opened up and were never lucky enough to connect and actually get one.

I've read that sites will open up as peoples plans change throughout the year.

What I am wondering is, should I wait on the hopes that something opens up, or bite the bullet and reserve at a commercial sardine farm, eh, I mean campground and lock in a site?

If it is the latter, I always hear recommendations for Boyds, but would I be ok with a 14 and 12 year old there?

We'd probably only be there a few days. One day in Key West and a day at Dry Tortuga.

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2017, 04:39 PM   #2

I would probably book Boyds before they fill up too and then if you happened to find a spot in one of the state parks you could always cancel. That time of year is very busy in the keys. We prefer the state campgrounds but have stayed at Boyds when we were going into Key West because it's so close. It's clean and safe. If you're only going to be in the area for a couple of days you're not going to be spending a lot of time in the campground anyway. Spend your time in Ket West and use the campground to sleep.
Mart38655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:26 PM   #3

Knights Key at the base of the 7 mile bridge in Marathone is nice. We stayed there with our 3 kids and had a lot of fun, very clean and well maintained. It's about 50 min north of Key West, buts it's an enjoyable drive. Theres also Sunset Grill next to the campground that has a pool and can enjoy the sunsets, it's open to the public, we never had a chance to go but it was always busy and heard a lot of positive reviews. Also on Marathon is Sombrero Beach which is free and clean with a park if you have kids also animal friendly and a fishing pier.
Cummins-a-pullin is offline   Reply With Quote