Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-14-2016, 02:50 PM   #1

Florida Keys advise

Hey guys the wife and I are trying to plan a trip to the Keys around October of this year. This is our first year with a travel trailer and Florida will be our first big trip. I'm looking for any advise on what campgrounds are in the keys and what they are like. We have never stayed at a state park (I know there are a few on the keys), do they usually have water hook ups and a dump site or is it just a parking spot?
xcav8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 03:04 PM   #2
Site Team

We go south for a few weeks in winter (December) when it is cold up here in central Florida (50's - 60's). We stayed at Curry Hammock state park and it was great! The problem with Florida Keys state parks is that getting a reservation is next to impossible. You need to reserve 11 months in advance. If you are lucky you may be able to find a week that someone cancled. Other wise the state parks are booked between Sept and April.

Good luck,

Don

Get on ReserveAmerica and start looking everyday
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:49 AM   #3

XCav8er,

We just took delivery of our XR1201 popup which has a toy hauler rack on the front. We are considering a trip to the Keys in '17 from NC. The plan is to setup a base camp and ride the Keys on a motorcycle for a few days. I have found the same thing about long lead time for campground reservations. We should be fine. Looking to go in the spring or fall. Please update this thread as you find out more information. jon
Drones75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:44 PM   #4

Pennekamp State Park is reasonably good. Sites were water/electric only with a dump station when we stayed stayed several years ago. We have not been able to stay at Bahia Honda.
Boyd's Key West Campground on Stock Island is pretty nice, but pricey. Assuming that you are reasonably fit, you can ride bikes into town from Boyd's and there is good bus service into town as well. Parking in Old Key West is hard to find and expensive so you want to leave the car at the campground. You can also rent bikes and scooters at reasonable rates.

John & Nancy
Jay Feather 25Z 2007
Ford F-150 XLT 5.4 Triton 2008
TeamFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 02:06 PM   #5
Site Team

I would recommend (if you can find a state park there) finding a CG in the middle of the keys, like mile marker 50 or so. This way you can take your daily trips in either direction and they would be a lot shorter of a trip than if your base of operations was at either end of the keys.

Just my thoughts,

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 04:34 PM   #6

Long Key SP was one of the best FL SP's I remember staying at...although this was about 20 years ago when I was in college. Each site had their own beach and each site was separated by VERY large pine trees. Back then the DW and I had an entry level Palomino Pop-Up. I remember it fondly!