Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-03-2014, 12:22 PM   #1

Florida Turnpike - Sun Pass?

We plan on towing to the Florida Keys in mid-October, and taking the Florida Turnpike from its northern end at I-75 near Orlando all the way to Homestead at the southern end. From looking at the Sun Pass website, it seems that in the northern end of the FTP a person would have the option to pay the toll in cash, but in the southern section it seems you must have a Sun Pass transponder, and cash is not an option. The website points out that the transponders can be purchased in a number of places in Florida. Does anyone have experience driving on the FTP and trying to pay cash as you go? It has been 30 years since I was thru that area.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:31 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

You can pay cash as you go on the Northern end. On the Southern end they have automatic license plate readers and you get a bill in the mail for both the TT and TV. I live in GA and went to Key West two years in a row. Without fail I got a bill in the mail a couple of weeks later. http://www.floridasturnpike.com/all-...L-BY-PLATE.cfm
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:15 AM   #3

Follow-up -- We ended up purchasing a SunPass (the windshield sticker version) for $5. The actual road toll $$ are electronically added to the sticker with a credit card. Taking the FTP for the full length south and back north, we saved $24 from what the license plate reader method would have been. No stopping to pay cash either. Quite happy with how it turned out. Note: we were of course in the 4 axle $ fee category.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:57 AM   #4

We have the movable ones for both FL and IL. FL is good in FL, GA & NC and the IL one is good in IL, IN, OHIO, WV, NY and several other states that use EZ PASS. Sure makes traveling much easier.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:52 PM   #5

Tolls with fiver and Arkansas plates. Arkansas does not issue a front plate..for vehicles....with fiver toll cameras can't read rear plate. Trailer plates are non expiring and Arkansas does not keep up with what plate goes with what trailer...
My friend from Arkansas has not paid for tolls in years. From almost every state in the union. Except for Indian toll pikes in Oklahoma are stop and pay for everyone.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:37 PM   #6

Does EZ PASS work in Florida now? A few years ago it didn't.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:53 AM   #7

I will be going to Tamps with my 5'er next week and on to Orlando the week of Christmas. I will not be on the Florida TP going down, but will take it from Orlando north to I75 on the way back. Can I pay cash on the way back north? I see that the pass will save me a little bit, but for a one time thing it isn't worth the trouble. I live in Alabama and we don't have toll roads around here so the pass wouldn't be used again anytime soon.

Thanks.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:01 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
......snip....Can I pay cash on the way back north?

Thanks.

I have traveled that direction to I-75 and paid cash. Not a problem, just expensive.
I am not accustomed to toll roads either.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboat95 View Post
Does EZ PASS work in Florida now? A few years ago it didn't.
Not yet.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:14 AM   #10

we recently went to Key West and paid cash at a few toll booths and when
there wasn't a toll booth option the cameras took pixs. we received the bill in the mail
a few weeks later. no problems and I think there was a $2 admin fee. didn't get the sunpass because we didn't travel exclusively on toll roads and probably would have been
money wasted... either way is good I am sure.
Two Kayaks. Dagger for me, Old Town for Wife
Gary Fisher Mnt Bk for me, Trek for Wife
Retired U.S. Army in 1991
Life is Good!
LBL 1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:06 AM   #11

Yup, money wasted. Bought a sunpass last year on our winter trip to the gulf. Wasn't clear on exactly where we would end up going and with 4 weeks in Fla paid for a pass during a pitstop at a Fla rest area. Process for purchase is thru a vending machine so that part it painless except for the charge to a credit card. Think I only loaded it with $10 so not a lot invested. In the end we didn't travel on any toll roads or bridges so it should be good for another year. Don't know if they expire.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote