Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-21-2014, 04:32 PM   #1

Gatlinburg CG Recommendations?

Two trailers headed to Gatlinburg, TN in August. Any recommendations on where to stay for two families with a total of six children (3-12)? We would appreciate a scenic spot with family activities, yet not too far from the tourist traps.

2014 White Hawk 30DSQB Summit Edition
2007 Ford Expedition EL 4X4 5.4L gas with 3.73 rear
Moosiedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:33 PM   #2
Site Team

We stayed at claboughs last year and enjoyed it so much we are headed back there in about 4 weeks[emoji3] we cant wait. Nice full hook up campground with a game room,pool and lazy river. Only about 15 minutes from dolly wood and all the tourist trap spots.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:40 AM   #3

I agree! Claboughs is the best. We have go every summer for the last several years. People are great http://claboughcampground.com/.

Sharon
1spatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:58 AM   #4

We spent several days at Smoky Bear Campground last year and really enjoyed it (with kids 3-6). Playground, pool, and hot tub. Depends on how close to "town" you want to be. It's roughly 13 miles outside of Gatlinburg so there will be a little drive to the "tourist traps".
Old 06-22-2014, 02:29 PM   #5

gatlinburg

There is a brand new park, Anchor Down about 20 miles from the traps. We are going to stay there the week after the 4th of July. Every review I have read says its a great place, right on the water has a pool. Check it out online.

Happy Camping
BuckeyeJim
Columbus OH
buckeyejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:18 PM   #6

Great tips, everyone - thanks! I'll get online and start checking out these places.

2014 White Hawk 30DSQB Summit Edition
2007 Ford Expedition EL 4X4 5.4L gas with 3.73 rear
Moosiedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:03 AM   #7

Adventure bound campground is 12 miles north of gatlinburg! We stayed along side a mountain stream couple of years ago for spring break and really enjoyed it!
"we do it in black pots"
Ryetye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:10 AM   #8

Thumbs up

The best campground in Gatlinburg is Twin Creek hands down! It is rated 10-10-10. It is all paved with concrete patios and it is the cleanest best maintained campground in the Smokies. We have been camping there since 1990 and they just keep getting better. The owners, Mary and Duff live on site and there are never any problems. We were there two weeks ago on our maiden voyage in our new Jayco Eagle TT and loved it. They have a trolley stop and you can ride all day for $2.00. Food City across the street.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #9

I'm going down to Gatlinburg from Hershey, PA to Luray, VA then on to Twin Creeks campground in Gatlinburg, TN. Anybody have any advice for the trip down rte 81. Anything to look out for?
Old 06-29-2014, 04:46 AM   #10

Stop the press! You have to check out the KOA in Townsend! We have been camping here for over 10 years. Tie Die t-shirt classes, movie night, playground and pool for the kiddos. Campsite is on a beautiful creek. General store on site. Oh yea, wagon rides too! We love this place. It is about 20 minutes from Gatlinburg and best of all it is just a few minutes from Cade's Cove. Check it out. http://koa.com/campgrounds/townsend-great-smokies/
Wsmith01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by licamp View Post
I'm going down to Gatlinburg from Hershey, PA to Luray, VA then on to Twin Creeks campground in Gatlinburg, TN. Anybody have any advice for the trip down rte 81. Anything to look out for?
You're traveling right through my neck of the woods. (Luray, VA) You looking for recommendations for campgrounds close to 81? I assume you're visiting some places in Luray because it is about 20-30 miles off 81.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Just went through 78-81S last week and cut off to I-77S. It's all nice fairly easy going with one 7% climb after you get through the valley. Stay in the truck lane and don't push it as the climb is about 5 miles long and your temps will climb fast . Saw several big rigs on the side at the top cooling down with a few in trouble.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #13

Look out for the VA boys in blue and gray!

Quote:

LET'S GO......HOKIES!!!
cmcelroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcelroy View Post
Look out for the VA boys in blue and gray!
Thats right! When you get down here in VA and TN don't tell anyone your from NY, although we will probably be able to tell anyhow. The trip down 81 is great after you get in VA, much better roads than in PA. The roads are also very good in TN. Be sure to stop at exit 77 in Wytheville VA, we have the cheapest gas that you will see. $3.23 right now! Also have a nice KOA at same exit. When you get to Twin Creek be sure and tell Mary that "John Wayne" sent you. Are you planning on going in to Gatlinburg thru Pigeon Forge or across 321 thru the country, thats the way I always go to Twin Creek, you will miss all the Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg traffic that way. Have a safe and enjoyable trip.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:30 PM   #15

Just got back from TN loved it. I screwed up I booked twin Mountain not twin creek. Ended up staying longer and we switch to Bear Cove campground and recommend it, very clean. I also like the VA gas prices at $3.23 really helps when you get 10 miles to the gallon. Hit the crazy storms last night in PA on the way home thank goodness the truck has sway control wind picked up out of no where and camper was blowing. Got home safe.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:51 AM   #16

We just returned from spending a week @ Anchor Down Rv Resort. What a beautiful place. The sites are large and all have a million dollar view of the lake. They have new pool and small water slide for the kids. Very quite, about 1/2 hour from Gatlinburg and all the traps. Already planning a trip back next year. If you go be sure and check out the Bush Bean Plant and grill. Excellent food & Beans !

BuckeyeJim
Columbus Oh
2010 Eagle
buckeyejim is offline   Reply With Quote