Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #1

Google Map vs RVND 7700 GPS

Going to Camp Hatteras for the first time late April.
Planning the route with Rand McNally RVND 7710 and Google Map.
I like to follow the GPS but do not trust it 100% so I double check the route prior the trip. Google Map: 1-81S to 476S to 95S to 495S to exit 1 to merge onto US-13 S/N Dupont Pkwy toward Dover.
then follow 64, 168, 158 and 12
the GPS is all the same except it brings me from 495S exit 4A, then Christtiana Junction, SR-7S Christiana to exit 97 US-13
Then 17 Elizabeth city, NC-37, NC-94 to US-64E to S Virginia Dare TRL

That takes us around the Albemarie sound. I don't know why the GPS wants me to take that route

Which is best?
https://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #2

13 and 1 run parallel to one another and are within a 2 miles of one another when coming off 495S. The GPS will re-route you possibly if you choose the re-route button but it's picking 13S since it comes up sooner on the route. 13S is loaded with lights and gas stations right off 95, so if you need fuel, a good stop as there are a minimum of 10 within a mile. If not then follow signs to DE1 south. Once you pass the Monster Mile and Dover AFB keep up on the signs and follow to Ocean City via 113S and take all the bypasses offered.

Take 113 to make it easier on yourself and brakes. DE 1 runs right into 113 and has most of the stopping front loaded in the north end. Once you get through the first 10 miles or so it really picks up and lets you sit back and cruise. It's a whopping 3 miles longer, but I think 30 mins faster if you take into account the lights on 13. You will eventually run into 13 south of Salisbury which will take you to the CBBT then into Norfolk and V Beach.

Again many lights and stop and go for the first few miles until you pick up 64E. Watch the drawbridge signs above as they can put you at a stop for over an hour if you hit it wrong.

Heading this route on Sat AM myself.

Here is how I would go. http://goo.gl/maps/rRynA

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #3

Thanks a lot for that info! it helps
I saved it and will follow that route
Any good RV park to stop for the night along the southern part of DE1 route?
Old 03-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #4

Boubou, I'm not 100% sure the road conditions on HWY 12 between Nags Head and Rodanthe but I do know they've experienced some major damage north of Rodanthe. It could be that the GPS is detouring that area for you. I suggest you call Camp Hatteras and inquire about HWY 12. According to NC DOT website http://www.ncdot.gov/travel/nc12recovery/ HWY 12 N is now open. That's a green light to take HWY 12 if you ask me. However, if you decide to take the detour around the albemarle sound it will be necessary to travel via the ferry. I would suggest you go to the north carolina ferry website and make a reservation.

Enjoy this beautiful part of my home state. Don't forget Howard's Pub on Ocracoke.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boubou View Post
Thanks a lot for that info! it helps
I saved it and will follow that route
Any good RV park to stop for the night along the southern part of DE1 route?
There are a few by Ocean City MD close to 113 and one about 6-8 miles before you hit the CBBT on the right heading south. In between those points is not much that I can recall.

Crabman might shed more specific light on them since it's in his backyard. I know he's mentioned several great spots on here before, I just haven't looked where they were on the map yet. Chincoteaque Island is a nice spot too. 20 mins off 13 towards the ocean.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:12 PM   #6

Boubou....X2 on the route ...regarding a campground along the way. There is Ft Whaley Campground in Whaleyville MD right of Rte 113........ a little further off route in Berlin MD is Castaways.....it's a very nice campground. Further down in Sanford Va is Tall Pines Harbor campground another good campground. We ate at Howards Pub four of the seven nights we stayed on Ocracoke Island best food pm the Island by far.
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #7

Most GPS's will default to better roads.. it does not matter what you set them to ... and usually this is a good thing.. but not always. NEVER trust just the gps..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #8

Google Map vs RVND 7700 GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kave&Lucky View Post
Boubou, I'm not 100% sure the road conditions on HWY 12 between Nags Head and Rodanthe but I do know they've experienced some major damage north of Rodanthe. It could be that the GPS is detouring that area for you. I suggest you call Camp Hatteras and inquire about HWY 12. According to NC DOT website http://www.ncdot.gov/travel/nc12recovery/ HWY 12 N is now open. That's a green light to take HWY 12 if you ask me. However, if you decide to take the detour around the albemarle sound it will be necessary to travel via the ferry. I would suggest you go to the north carolina ferry website and make a reservation.

Enjoy this beautiful part of my home state. Don't forget Howard's Pub on Ocracoke.
Hey! got an email back from Camp Hatteras...Looks like it's good to go.
Thought I'd share here for anyone wanting to go

"Our highway has been open since December 19th. We had a couple of bad wind storms a couple of weeks ago and sand and water was on the road. But NCDOT works really fast to make our road accessible. It has not been closed for over ten days now and they continue to work on a permanent solution. It is accessible to all vehicles with no trouble. There hasn’t been any reports on water on the road at all. Check out the facebook page of Oregon inlet idiots https://www.facebook.com/pages/Orego...12988558787606 They are doing a great job of keeping us informed.
You can always call us for updates."
Old 03-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #9

Boubou: I was just looking at 3'senough route map....he's right about not taking Rte 13 off of Rte495...it's a mess. One word of caution.....point 11 on his route...take exit 4.... there is a large construction project right at the exit. They do a great job routing traffic through the construction zone...but there are accidents in that zone daily. Try and avoid it during rush hour. Still the route 3 layed out is by far the best. Good luck
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:41 AM   #10

Since "you's guys and gals" are all so nice and helpful, I am not having much luck finding a place to stop for the night south or near Scranton and along the 476 Pennysylvania parkway. trying to scan for all the available CG for this stretch of the route. How about rest areas? any safe place to stop for the night?
We plan on driving about 300 miles a day.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:06 AM   #11

Boubou, have you checked on Allstays? Here's the website http://www.allstays.com/ They also have an app that I purchased for my Iphone. When I entered scranton in the app it lists a couple of Walmarts close to 476 that are "ask to park" facilities. The app even gives you the phone # to call about overnight parking. If you're just looking for a place to stop and lay your head down for a few winks this might be an option. We haven't Wally-docked yet but we would if the situation called for it. I don't know how you feel about Wally-docking but it might be an option for you. I know the forums are full of Wally-dockers that can give you advice and the "etiqutte of Wally-docking". Hope this helps!

FWIW, the allstays app has proved quite helpful to us. We were recently looking for a site near Greensboro, NC and couldn't find anything close to where we needed to stay through reserveamerica, goodsam or woodalls. I checked on allstays and low and behold there is a County-owned campground cost $17/day with electric hookup 10 minutes from where I'll need to be for the day. The DW plans to fish in the lake there while I attend a workshop!

Good luck & safe travels to you!