Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-08-2017, 02:29 PM   #1

Grand Canyon

We are heading out on the road in a few weeks to the Grand Canyon and Arizona. We have reservations at RV village checking in on Wednesday and leaving on Sunday before heading up to the Lake Mead area.

My question is this, do we really need that many days there? We will hike some (we have a two year old that goes in the backpack carrier), but no donkey rides, etc.

Also, any recommendations for Lake Mead? We are only heading up that way for a few days to burn before heading south again to Scottsdale. We figured we could hit Sin City and the Hoover Dam over a couple of days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ozgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgood View Post
We are heading out on the road in a few weeks to the Grand Canyon and Arizona. We have reservations at RV village checking in on Wednesday and leaving on Sunday before heading up to the Lake Mead area.

My question is this, do we really need that many days there? We will hike some (we have a two year old that goes in the backpack carrier), but no donkey rides, etc.

Also, any recommendations for Lake Mead? We are only heading up that way for a few days to burn before heading south again to Scottsdale. We figured we could hit Sin City and the Hoover Dam over a couple of days.

Weather will probably be in 50's and 30's at the GC. Vegas is about 300 miles from the Grand Canyon. In Page the slot canyons are a don't miss. Make reservations so you can take the tour around nooish for best light..

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:59 PM   #3

We we'll be there in August we are planning a Route 66 trip

hughes1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:10 AM   #4

Have you found anything about the places to stay in Lake Mead? I am thinking of booking at the concessionaire at the national park. It's going to be chilly, so we definitely don't plan on doing any water activities. Just looking for a pretty place to call home base for a couple of days while we drive into Vegas and do the Hoover Dam visit.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgood View Post
Have you found anything about the places to stay in Lake Mead? I am thinking of booking at the concessionaire at the national park. It's going to be chilly, so we definitely don't plan on doing any water activities. Just looking for a pretty place to call home base for a couple of days while we drive into Vegas and do the Hoover Dam visit.

This past summer we made our first visit to the Southwest and Hoover Dam/Lake Mead was on our itinerary. We absolutely loved it there despite the nearly unbearable heat when we visited. We stayed at Lake Mead RV Village in a beautiful full-hookups spot directly overlooking Lake Mead. I will go back and stay there again. Very convenient to both Hoover Dam and the Vegas area.

You do access the Village by entering the federal Lake Mead Recreation Area. We had an annual pass so access did not cost us anything additional, they do have short-term pass rates if you don't already have a pass.

The area is beautiful, but we were shocked to learn how low the water level has dropped. Too much water taken out by man, not enough put back in by Mother Nature!
Attached Thumbnails
20160608_193719.jpg   20160609_115117.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:32 AM   #6

Absolutely beautiful!! Thank you! I was going to book there but wanted to make sure it was worth the $50 to take a lakeside spot. Definitely plan on booking it now.
Nice set up, btw!

Old 02-09-2017, 11:43 AM   #7

Thanks! It was 112 degrees when we arrived and set up, but the parks 50-amp service was great we stayed nice and cool inside. Good water pressure too. The park is a mix of RV spots and privately-owned manufactured houses, but everything was well maintained. We will return there again soon.

Lake Mead RV Village
268 Lakeshore Road
Boulder City, NV 89005 USA
Web: LakeMeadRVVillage.com
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Thanks! It was 112 degrees when we arrived and set up, but the parks 50-amp service was great we stayed nice and cool inside. Good water pressure too. The park is a mix of RV spots and privately-owned manufactured houses, but everything was well maintained. We will return there again soon.

Lake Mead RV Village

268 Lakeshore Road

Boulder City, NV 89005 USA

Web: LakeMeadRVVillage.com

Thanks for the info! I called and got one of their last two spots. I'm really looking forward to it!

Old 02-09-2017, 11:38 PM   #9

If you can work it into the schedule Nevada's Valley of Fire State Park is well worth the visit. It's about an hour or so from the Lake Mead RV Village - Boulder Beach location on the northeast end of the lake. We spent a week at the Lake Mead RV Village - Echo Bay location last April - weather was perfect. With the water as low as it is you can also check out the St. Thomas Ghost Town ruins. They are right by the entrance to Valley of Fire State Park. It's about 3 miles down a unpaved road and there are trails through the ruins.

Here's a shot of "Elephant Rock" at Valley of Fire and one of the St. Thomas ruins:
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00268.jpg   SDC11539.jpg  
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:07 AM   #10

I live about 1.5 hours from the Grand Canyon. I am pretty sure I could fill a month there with things to do and see. We have spent a few hours just waiting for light to change on an outcropping.
If cemeteries interest you, find the one in the village. It is quite fascinating and has a great memorial to the lost souls on the the 2 planes that collided over the park (you can some of the impact area from the tower at the east entrance)
Chrisbn is offline   Reply With Quote