Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2017, 04:24 PM   #1

Guadalupe Mountains NP.

Weather hindered planned work activities today. Since Guadalupe Mountains NP is only 50 miles or so down the road, I took a quick trip to check out the RV campsites. I did not tow the TT.

The drive from Carlsbad isn't bad at all. Not a lot of steep grades to climb. Should be doable for any reasonably capable rig. Running unladen, I didn't really notice the ascent. Coming back, it was more obviously downhill. Highways in both TX and NM were pretty decent.
I didn't travel SW of the visitor center entrance, so I can't comment on Hwy 180 past there towards I-10.

The RV campground is a paved lot with sites designated by painted areas and numbered.
No facilities. Potable water is available adjacent to the restrooms (no showers). You will need a tote for water. No hose bib. Nearest dump station is in Carlsbad. The larger "campsites" will accommodate a 35' unit if you work at it and unhook to park your TV elsewhere. They seem more suited for MH use. Turn radiuses are tight. A seasoned driver with an average length rig will probably jump a curb. There are signs cautioning against anything over 45' prior to being totally committed to circling through the camping area. I'd avoid it with any trailer over 24'. The perimeter RV sites are 20' from painted stripe out front, to edge of asphalt. No curbs on the east edge, but trees and boulders prevent backing much past the pavement.

The park is a hikers haven. Not much to drive and look at.
A seasoned hiking team of father and son perished last month out here. Heed all warnings issued by signage and verbal warnings from Rangers.

The mountains were totally obscured by clouds, so I can't comment on the scenic value of the park. I imagine it is quite a sight to behold after days and hours of the same desert terrain leading up to it, but my focus on this quick trip was to scout the campground.

In a nutshell. It's a small parking lot with no cell service.
Set up camp north of Carlsbad at KOA or skp ranch and day trip from there.
Sitting Bull falls is worth seeing for sure. As is Dog Canyon campground on the northern edge of Guadalupe Mountains NP. (More on that later this week after another scouting trip there.)
The campgrounds in Carlsbad are at capacity due to oil field workers and I doubt that will change in the next few years.
Attached Thumbnails
20170801_120632.jpg  
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:36 PM   #2

My wife and I spent a week in the parking lot/campground three winters ago. We loved the hiking. I fully intend on going back before I get too crippled up to hike the trails. A great place in the winter!!
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote