Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-21-2016, 08:22 PM   #1

Help from my Texan central/south

Im leaving for colorado in less than 2 weeks, been trying to plan my route. Never drove this far into north Texas so, im south of houston, i can take I45 up north go threw ft worth then over to Amarillo where we'll stay the night, or go i think 288 threw college station to Abilene then up to Amarillo, which i think would be better for scenic ride and staying off the big highways for the most part. Id just worried about gas stations and maybe rest stops going the scenic route. Has anyone been one of these ways? Thanks
Old 05-21-2016, 10:01 PM   #2

I've never been the scenic route, but as a general rule, scenic also means "less developed". You'll likely see less rest stops and gas stations along the way. If I've never been a particular route before, I usually do some pretty detailed planning to see where the rest stops are, gas stations I can get in/out of, etc. I typically travel up through Madisonville to Nacogdoches, then on to Bossier City a few times a year. It's a scenic drive and the first time through, I was looking for someplace to stop every time I had half a tank left. Now that I know the route, I typically stop at locations I know. If you do take the scenic route, you may want to carry an extra 5 gallon tank with you in case you find yourself running low on gas in the middle of nowhere.

Can't go wrong going through Fort Worth. 45 North isn't a bad drive, and if you stay on 20 going through Ft Worth, you should be fine. Just try not to hit Dallas/Fort Worth anytime after 3:00 PM. Traffic still moves, but there's a lot more of it.

What am I saying... You live in Houston---the home of every crazy driver in Texas! Well...except for those you guys push over our way.
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:58 AM   #3

Ya i always take 2 5 gallon of gas, that was the thing i didnt know what time i would get to ft worth gonna leave my house at 0500 in the morning, get out of houston before all the crazy drivers were on the road
Old 05-22-2016, 08:32 AM   #4

Map out the scenic route. Use Gas Buddy to find stations along your route before you leave. You already know how far you can travel between fill ups.

We have been hauling our TT around the Navajo Reservation in NM and AZ and am here for the scenery. We have not had any problems as we know our range is 275 miles. Sometimes there is 100 miles tween towns but this is no surprise.
Amarillo is a busy town. Not a cow town.

Part of the reason we got our TT is to enjoy scenic areas without being slave to motels yet sleeping off the ground.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:29 AM   #5

You'll be fine on the scenic route.
Fuel will be available about every 50 miles or so.
Just don't go west of San Angelo.
Lots of picnic areas on the highways out here.
No toilet facilities outside of town though.
Holler if you get in a bind.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:58 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies my range is about 200 miles but i carry 10 gallons so with that is about 290 miles , we plain stopping overnight at a rv park in Amarillo. Half the trip is how you get there, so wanted the kids to see Texas, not just go down a Interstate.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:09 AM   #7

You'll find NM to be the longer stretch between civilization, if you go that route.
It's also more mountainous.
Up through OK and into Springfield CO remains fairly flat to I-70.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquero View Post
You'll find NM to be the longer stretch between civilization, if you go that route.
It's also more mountainous.
Up through OK and into Springfield CO remains fairly flat to I-70.
I was looking at I-25 on google maps that looked like a nice drive going NM into Colorado
Old 05-22-2016, 10:20 AM   #9

Walk mart is your friend. Usually the cheapest gas and diesel around..
'17 Forrest River Cedar Creek Silverback RE
'17 F 350 CC, LB SRW King Ranch
'16 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS GONE!
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:12 PM   #10

A couple of years ago we traveled from Houston to Grants NM which is a bit South of your destination. Outbound we took I10 west and turned North on I25 and then West on I40. The trip home was East on I40 to Amarillo. We had business in Tulia (a bit South on I27). A short trip East on I40 and then South-East on 287 to Ft. Worth finally hooking up with I45 South. It was a good trip with the 287 piece the only non Interstate section. We had no fuel problems.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote