Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-01-2018, 03:54 PM   #1

Hiway 80 Reno to Yellowstone

Anyone have any suggestion and where to stop between these two points. Planning a trip to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. About 15 hours of driving from home so I was considering stopping for two days somewhere along the way so we could break up the trip into 3 segments. Any ideas would be appreciated.

in addition, any suggestion re camping, routes etc. would also help out. We have 3 weeks for the entire trip. Don't want to farther east than the Teton's this trip. Starting in SF Bay Area.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:27 PM   #2

Stop in Elko and visit the Ruby Mountains and Lamoile Canyon. It's one of Nevada's hidden gems. There are some full hookup campgrounds in Elko. You won't be disappointed

2005 Forest River Rockwood 2601 (Sold)
2011 Ford Expedition XLT (Sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler (Just for fun!)
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:01 PM   #3

If you are planning to head north on US-93 at Wells into Idaho you might consider Craters of the Moon National Monument. The closest RV parks are in the Arco area on the north side of the monument - about 20 miles away. My youngest daughter and I did some tent-camping in the monument a number of years ago - it's a spectacular place. If you just need a place to make an early stop while passing through Idaho Massacre Rocks State Park is around the American Falls area on I-86. We spent a couple days there this last season on our way back from Montana. It's right next to the Snake river. Also, if you haven't traveled US-93 before be advised it is quite empty and desolate and in some places cell coverage can be spotty (we had T-Mobile at the time).

If you are planning on staying with I-80 east to Salt Lake and then head north on I-15 Willard Bay State Park north of Ogden is a good place for an early stop as well. You want the North Marina Campgrounds which are by a freshwater lake. The South Marina is basically just a large parking lot by the boat ramps.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hiway 80, reno, yellowstone