Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-23-2012, 08:45 PM   #1

Houston Tollways

My policy is to avoid Houston and it's traffic if at all possible. Soon, though, we'll have to go through Houston. We'll be on Hwy 59 on the north side of Houston, take Beltway 8 and the toll roads around the west side of Houston until it links up again with Hwy 59.

Which side of the toll plazas are the cash lanes located? Will any cash lane be wide enough for my trailer to fit through?

Thanks to all.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:18 PM   #2

You shouldn't have a problem gettting through the toll plaza's at all, they are all on the RIGHT side of the plaza. I will say though if you are passing through on a weekend day there is a very good possibility that the there will be a long line and your wait time could be 5-10 min.

Good luck with your travels...

Mark
2008 Artic Cat 650 TRV

Leroy2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:22 AM   #3

Is there a reason why you're not just taking 59 all the way?

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #4

Thanks, Leroy2u.

Quahog, 59 through the middle of Houston has usually been a crowded bumper-to-bumper mess when I've gone through that way, but it's been a while since I went that way; I thought that the tollways would be less traveled and less crowded. What is the best way to go through Houston from north 59 at about noon on a weekday (wish I had a helicopter to use)?
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
Thanks, Leroy2u.

Quahog, 59 through the middle of Houston has usually been a crowded bumper-to-bumper mess when I've gone through that way, but it's been a while since I went that way; I thought that the tollways would be less traveled and less crowded. What is the best way to go through Houston from north 59 at about noon on a weekday (wish I had a helicopter to use)?
Coming from the north side of town, it's not too bad. There are a couple of slow-downs but I go through there periodically around that time of day and I've not had much trouble. Just take your time and leave yourself plenty of room because you will have lots of idiots who will put their life at risk (and yours) just to get to their destination 30 seconds sooner.

It's true that the BW8 will be less congested but it's a pretty expensive toll wise plus you'll waste a lot of time at the toll booths.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:37 PM   #6

I think it would be pretty expensive pulling that trailer on a toll road for little if any savings in time. But then, I have a thing against toll roads anyway, and I have not driven on one since they rammed them down our throats in the Austin area. I'll sit on a feeder and wait for a light before I give the state (or the Spaniards) any money to drive on these roads other than what I pay when I buy gas. I know my boycott won't put them out of business, it's just a matter of principle with me.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:35 AM   #7

I think you'll hit 3 toll stops. It's $1.50 for a car. Extra ror the trailer but I don't know how much. I have the EZ Tag sticker and just pay the $1.50 so for me so it's a no-brainer. Depending on day of the week and time of day I'd take the beltway even if I had to stop for tolls. IMO, the worst part of 59 is the 59, 288 interchange. Weekday at noon will prolly be not too bad tho.
If you get traffic on your cell, check it on the way into town and pick what looks best.
Travel safe!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:14 PM   #8

Heading north it seems worse than going south, which I think he said he's doing. That spot right at 288/59 is pretty quick during that time of day. At least it is for me.