Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2019, 11:53 AM   #41

Illinois gas tax and plate fees going up to fix the roads. That is a joke we have the worst roads of all 50 states and they do not fix them. Porky Pritsker will line his pockets along with all the other crooks in Chicago.This worthless state is ran by Crook county.I have 6 more years until I can get out of this state.By that time Porky Pritsker will more then likely be in jail.
jdlx277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:11 AM   #42

Typically the Chicago political mob will get rich, Chicago roads will get the leftover tax benefit. The rest of downstate will still be on 80 year old roads that are neglected...........just like Southern IL in general.
One of our State Reps. had started a petition to turn Chicago into a separate State. That would be sweet!
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:19 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
I don't get the whining re gas tax rises. We need to maintain roads and bridges.. The other option is open road tolling..
You think its bad now.. there are no doubt roads near you that soon will not be "free"

I wonder... people want free and yet complain about rough roads.

it isn't free ever... I guarantee that if it was privately run you would have great roads for a whole lot less.. and those that use them would pay for them... show me one government program where there was not abundant waste.... just one...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:56 AM   #44

Pritzker announced some Road Fund grants on the 4th.

One includes $300,000 to East St. Louis to build kiddie wading/fountain pools.

That will really help fill pot holes!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:59 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
I don't get the whining re gas tax rises. We need to maintain roads and bridges.. The other option is open road tolling..
You think its bad now.. there are no doubt roads near you that soon will not be "free"

I wonder... people want free and yet complain about rough roads.
Rough roads are all we are and have always been used to in West Central Illinois.
The fact is any money leftover after mismanagement will go to the Chicago area........not down State.
The other "bitter pill" is he signed these taxes into effect without being voted on by residents or legislature. Along with his other hair brained moves that either he just signed into law or they were approved by legislature and not by ballot.
Reeks of Totalitarianism
Old 07-09-2019, 02:13 PM   #46

It's like so many other "surtaxes". They're raised for a purpose. And on the surface, that purpose is noble and worthwhile.

Cigarette tax is an example. Those taxes were designed to combat underage smoking and go toward research in the field. Did it ever work out that way? I dunno, but it would be interesting to see how much of that tax goes into the general fund.

Same with fuel taxes. They're designed to pay for road improvements. Good idea, right? Yeah! But wait, where did those dollars actually go? The general fund? Bye bye.

We have taxes called "severance" taxes in TX that are levied on oil and gas production throughout the state. That money goes into our "rainy day" fund. It would seem a simple thing to take some of that money and repair roads that were destroyed because of oil production. But it doesn't work that way. We have roads throughout the state that have seen WAY more weighted traffic than they were ever designed for (hundreds, even thousands of 80,000 lb rigs each day in many cases) just literally crumbling into dust. Wouldn't it make sense for the tax on the revenue that traffic generated to be used to repair the damage caused by that traffic?

But I guess I'm inserting logic where logic has no business...

ETA: I don't mind paying a tax so long as the money is used for what it's supposed to be used for.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:28 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
ETA: I don't mind paying a tax so long as the money is used for what it's supposed to be used for.
Lol does that ever happen? Remember you're dealing with the government.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:41 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredLEO View Post
Typically the Chicago political mob will get rich, Chicago roads will get the leftover tax benefit. The rest of downstate will still be on 80 year old roads that are neglected...........just like Southern IL in general.
One of our State Reps. had started a petition to turn Chicago into a separate State. That would be sweet!
I would vote to make Chicago the 51 state and even a little south can join them.I avoid everything north of the 55 Coal City exit.
jdlx277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:57 AM   #49

Ok all of us from Illinois we just need to pump the brakes here... that new marijuana bill passed will solve all of our problems... just like the legalization of gambling did back in the early 90’s, that’s some Sheldon Cooper sarcasm!

You think the state is losing people now what until that new governor tries to tax people’s pensions, look out all bordering states here we come!
Old 07-21-2019, 09:06 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by roving legrands View Post

You think the state is losing people now what until that new governor tries to tax people’s pensions, look out all bordering states here we come!
You may have to move a long distance for that. As of now only 14 states dont tax pensions, our new governor said she would rid the state of this tax that has been around for 10 years. Now she is in office and that was swept under the rug and she wants to add new taxes to so many things.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:29 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
You may have to move a long distance for that. As of now only 14 states dont tax pensions, our new governor said she would rid the state of this tax that has been around for 10 years. Now she is in office and that was swept under the rug and she wants to add new taxes to so many things.
Yep!, now that Calif is giving free medical and college to illegal migrants, jacking up the gas tax to the highest in the nation, taxing everything they can think of we have middle class and businesses leaving the state in droves. Gov Nuescum says there is a net increase in population, but what he fails to mention they are all on the lower end of the pay scale, or freeloaders coming here for all of the handouts. I am looking into moving to Texas!!, used to live there, wish I hadn't left.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:50 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by roving legrands View Post
Ok all of us from Illinois we just need to pump the brakes here... that new marijuana bill passed will solve all of our problems... just like the legalization of gambling did back in the early 90’s, that’s some Sheldon Cooper sarcasm!

Your thoughts are right along my thoughts. What a mess we live in. I live on the MO/IL border. The gas/convenience stores here in town that once were booming with customers look like ghost towns. The stations across the river are absolutely swamped and enjoying the stupidity of our Gov.
We're the only State that the Gov signed the Marij. law in to being............the others it was put to a vote. Not a State yet that has legalized Marij. has had the financial boon that they had hoped for.
We had a longtime family owned agri. equipment manufacturer who employs 100's of people move to a brand new facility in Missouri. Business is so good for them they can't find enough qualified welders.
My 5X Grandad was a Revolutionary War Soldier. His "bounty land" was here in Illinois. I think he would be sickened by the sorry state this State is in.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:14 PM   #53

Next month my wife and me will be heading west away from the peoples republic of NY to scope out some new digs. We thought first of Colorado however it appears that state is being californicated for reasons beyond me? Texas, Utah, Wyoming, and Idaho are on the agenda. Any pros/cons for those states? I am retired military.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote