Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-23-2018, 05:37 PM   #1

In A Bad Spot.

We arrived at a Florida central east coast KOA last Tuesday for the winter and was placed in a nice quiet site we found acceptable. Today we were told due an employee error we could only stay in the site until the end of December. They've promised to try and find a solution for us but there's no guarantee we won't be homeless come the first of the new year. Our reservation was made early in the year.

Frankly, we don't know what to do. I really doubt that calling around to other campgrounds is going to bear fruit at this time of the year, so we may be headed home to Vermont 3 1/2 months early.

Has this happened to anyone? Do you have any ideas or advice for us?

Thanks ~ Joe

P.S. We planned on getting married here in January and have honeymoon reservations at Disney..
soperman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 06:20 PM   #2

That's awful. I feel for you. Do you have a paper trail on the reservation? I just can't imagine how they could give you the boot if you had a res. Not a helpful post I know. Good luck.
2022 Chevy 3000HD Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 06:20 PM   #3

Call Elite Resorts and ask about Citrus Valley
(800) 356-2460

Or check Encore and ask about Lake Magic or Thousand Trails on US 27.

All are about 25/30 min from Disney
Old 11-23-2018, 06:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Call Elite Resorts and ask about Citrus Valley
(800) 356-2460

Or check Encore and ask about Lake Magic or Thousand Trails on US 27.

All are about 25/30 min from Disney
Thank you Grumpy! I'll check in with all four in the AM.

We don't necessarily need to be that close to Disney. We're a 5th wheel unit and planned to just lock up the RV and drive over. So if you think of anymore CGs, please let us know.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
That's awful. I feel for you. Do you have a paper trail on the reservation? I just can't imagine how they could give you the boot if you had a res. Not a helpful post I know. Good luck.
Thanks.. there's no dispute we have a reservation.. it's trying to fix the mess they made.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:46 PM   #6

Luckily you really won't be homeless you still have a great motor home and a home to go to if all else fails. You have a month + for KOA to sort things out for you and Grumpy's suggestions for you should be a great help.
Many of us have had to make a change of plans and things usually work out and many times for the better.
It's unfortunate this happened and if you have to leave they should compensate you in some way.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
Luckily you really won't be homeless you still have a great motor home and a home to go to if all else fails. You have a month + for KOA to sort things out for you and Grumpy's suggestions for you should be a great help.
Many of us have had to make a change of plans and things usually work out and many times for the better.
It's unfortunate this happened and if you have to leave they should compensate you in some way.
Thank you, I sure hope you're right.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:53 PM   #8
Site Team

If they can't work it out there are many places that are available once you get east of Orlando. I would not want to even be considering going back to Vermont that time of the year.

Keep us posted as there are many on here who could give you some ideas as you already know.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 07:21 PM   #9

While making making a contingency plan for your trip is is certainly a good idea, I don't understand something.

You have a reservation, you have it in writing, and now the campground is saying you don't have a reservation. First, you are there now and your needs should take priority over those of someone arriving later. Second, the campground messed the reservation up, and it is their responsibility to find a solution that meets your needs. It sounds as if they told you of the problem they created and expect you to solve their problem. Not acceptable.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 07:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by soperman3 View Post
So if you think of anymore CGs, please let us know.
A few more:

Theme World, Sherwood Forest, Deer Creek, Kissimee/Orlando KOA, Mouse Mountain, Lakeland RV Resort

And I agree the KOA your in needs to come up with the solution if you have a paid in full reservation.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:12 PM   #11

We arrived in Palacios, TX last year (Serendipity RV Resort). Made reservation 6mo ahead of arrival and confirmed one month before arrival. After leveling the next week they said the "new owners" are going to upgrade the RV park the 1st of JAN. Although they did have alternative space (way, way in the back). And yes we were originaly on the waters edge. After much discussions we moved to the Rio Grand Valley area. Sad these thing happen, happy we have wheels under it to move it on down the road.

Additionally, is there a definition to the term "New Owners"? Were currently at a nice park (not for long) this winter and they also say their under new owners? The permanent's here say new owners took over 18mo ago. Sign at the front of the park says (Internet page also) "Retirement Resort 55+" After walking the dogs and finding FEMA trailers leveled and skirted with kids riding bike in the streets I'm thinking it's ain't no more Maw.

Somethings are always changing.. Just glad the RV has wheels under it. I really can't complain to much lots of space right now.....
Attached Thumbnails
4.jpg  

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:14 PM   #12

Just wondering. What if, when the time comes, you simply refuse to leave. From a legal standpoint, if your motorhome is considered your "home", if they simply kick you out I wonder if there could be some interesting legal ramifications. I'm thinking of how it goes for a landlord trying to evict someone who is trashing the place and not paying.

In your case, you continue to pay and be a good citizen, but simply refuse to leave. It would take a conversation with the right attorney.

As a previous poster suggested, you're already there with what was supposed to be a legitimate reservation, so why does someone who's not there yet somehow have a more legitimate reservation? It's a good point. You wouldn't necessarily have to feel bad about turning the tables on the place.

Unless, of course, you want to stay there again in the future. Personally, I wouldn't do business with them again.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:49 PM   #13

[QUOTE=Siamese;708023]Just wondering. What if, when the time comes, you simply refuse to leave. From a legal standpoint, if your motorhome is considered your "home", if they simply kick you out I wonder if there could be some interesting legal ramifications. I'm thinking of how it goes for a landlord trying to evict someone who is trashing the place and not paying.

In your case, you continue to pay and be a good citizen, but simply refuse to leave. It would take a conversation with the right attorney. [Quote]

i think your on to something here. I seem to remember a few years ago wanting to stay someplace more than a month but their max stay was 29 days because if it went past 30 they couldn't make you leave short of your guaranteed lease.
It was in California
Old 11-23-2018, 11:23 PM   #14

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I'm in agreement with a few of the others here and feel like you don't have a problem but they do. For me personally I'd let them know that you made the reservation with them in good faith and they need to honor it.

Having said this I'd look into some of the great options for other parks that have been suggested and get a contingency plan going. I wouldn't make this easy for them but I wouldn't let it stress me out during such a significant time in your lives.

I hope that it works out in your favor and congratulations!

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 12:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
Just wondering. What if, when the time comes, you simply refuse to leave. .
It may very well be the case that an RV resort operates under the same rules as a hotel.

When a hotel guest refuses to leave, the hotel has to follow strict rules on what happens next. They can 'evict' if the original reservation dates were exceeded.

What's probably occurred is that new dates were contracted when you took the space.

Thus they could legally evict.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:27 AM   #16

I think I would consult an attorney, let them review your situation and draft a letter informing the owners you intend to stay the length of your original agreement. I have a hard time believing they "double booked" your site, either they have a friend who needs a spot or someone offered to pay an excessive amount for your spot.

Good luck.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:44 AM   #17
Site Team

For those new or old to the forum, the community rules do not allow threads to drift into legal advice.

Site Team
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:00 AM   #18

If you have no luck on the East Coast and don’t mind traveling to the West Coast just above Tampa, I highly recommend Travelers Rest in Dade City.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:33 AM   #19

What I don't understand is if you had a reservation and you are already there why the onus isn't put on the campground to work out something with the individual that isn't there. Why uproot you rather than working out something for the other individual that isn't already settled at the site. Why is that individual being given the priority?

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:17 AM   #20

OP, there are lots of places you could go to stay warm over the winter that aren't as popular as the snowbird areas. They might not be as warm, but still beats New England in the winter! You could look at St Augustine, Brunswick or Savannah GA, Charleston SC, etc. We stay in all those locations in February when we travel to and from our Gulf Coast trip. None of them have ever been full, they always have at least a couple sites available and all are pretty nice places to spend some time. Now... we are talking highs in the 60's rather than 70's... but its way better than highs in the 20's and snow!!!

Good luck! Congrats on the upcoming wedding!!!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote