Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-01-2014, 07:39 PM   #1

JellyStones the best choice for young kids?

Are Jelly Stones the best CG for kids activities and keeping them busy while camping? We are new to this and just bough a pop up. We are planning our summer out now and found the freemont IN jellystone to look pretty appealing to us but want to check what else is out there. We have a 1.5 year old and a 4.5 hear old.

We on doing about 10 nights at state parks but wanted to put a really kid focused one in there too..

Whatcha think?
cyprant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:24 PM   #2

We have stayed at the Jelly Stone in PA and our kids love it. It has a pool, waterpark, jump pillow, pedal karts, play ground, putt putt, and other group organized activities at the main pavilion. Oh and they usually have an outdoor movie night on the weekend.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
Site Team

For children under five I don't think you'll get your money's worth as the majority of activities for children are geared to those that are older. At the Jellystone Park nearest me, the weekend rate in 2013 for a FHU campsite in season was $80.00 a night.

For small children, a private campground with a kiddie pool, a good playground and "family type" activities (like a hayride) would be a better value and much less expensive.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:58 PM   #4

Check into Thousand Trails Zone Pass memberships. Depending on where you travel, there may be many parks in your zone to use. Each park may vary in activities for the kids but they are secure, habe pools, clubhouses, etc. Our favorite one was in Verde Valley AZ and we have very fond memories of our kids laughing and going on many organized activities & events.
Z71 Extended Cab w/Longbed, 5.3 ltr

Coleman Tent, Flagstaff Pop-Up, Jayco Eagle, Flagstaff Pop-Up, RPM Toy Hauler, Jayco White Hawk - Our camping evolution
stjohneyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:34 AM   #5

Whats wrong with the State Parks?? Hiking, playgrounds, in season there will be tons of other kids. Wife and I just were never in need of a theme park style CG to keep the kids occupied and enjoying camping. My fear if you start out with a Jelly Stone style CG, that's all they'll want.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:35 AM   #6

Of all the places we've been including Disney, my kids still talk about going back to Jellystone!
campingn.c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Whats wrong with the State Parks?? Hiking, playgrounds, in season there will be tons of other kids. Wife and I just were never in need of a theme park style CG to keep the kids occupied and enjoying camping. My fear if you start out with a Jelly Stone style CG, that's all they'll want.

Nothing wrong with state parks, like I said we have about 10 nights planned at state parks but figured it would be nice to take them some where special where its more focused on them. My 1 year old doesn't quite get the concept of fishing and requires we carry him on any thing short of flat terrain. Theres nothing wrong with this, but his personality really come comes out he is able to do things on his own and makes his own fun....
Old 04-02-2014, 05:39 AM   #8

Our children are grown now, but still talk about the trips to the different Jellystones that we have been too. We actually have Easter Weekend booked at a Jellystone this year.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:16 AM   #9

We have been to one. There are no more activities provided there than at many other private campgrounds. Since your kids are so small keep in mind if that Jellystone has golf carts as they can be ripping around the CG and your kids could be at risk. The pool was okay IMHO and way too crowded for my taste. They also had a DJ blasting music for 4 hours at the pool until 10 PM which I could have done without.

As mentioned above if you had older pre-teen or teens this would suit your party better. Perhaps a KOA with a jumping pillow, pool and playground would suit you better at this stage. Activities are common throughout CG's privately run and some gems are out there. Try doing a google search on an area you are interested in and you might find one. Post a thread here and you will be surprised how much great information can come your way on an area.

My kids like pools, biking and some of the activities, but mostly making smores by the campfire.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyprant View Post
Nothing wrong with state parks, like I said we have about 10 nights planned at state parks but figured it would be nice to take them some where special where its more focused on them. My 1 year old doesn't quite get the concept of fishing and requires we carry him on any thing short of flat terrain. Theres nothing wrong with this, but his personality really come comes out he is able to do things on his own and makes his own fun....
Guess my thought is that SPECIAL is how you define special. If its going to the Pancake house for that special Mothers day breakfast I am on the same page. But Camping, especially family camping, in a pop up is SPECIAL by itself. The most special place was site 1734 or 237 or 92 or what ever site you have been assigned. Its the stream that runs behind the site or the dirt trail to the bathroom where the kids look for monsters behind big trees. Our kids never required or wanted to do go-carts, water slides, other than that special pony ride or pioneer village activity where they make crafts or plant corn.

When we go to places like Yellowstone or the Bad lands, we never sought out Jellystone style CG's. Our kids will always remember the Bison and the big bear that wandered thru our campsite in Yellowstone.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:46 AM   #11

You cant go wrong. The kids will love it. I have a 3 yr and 6 yr old and have been to 3 different Jellystone parks in the past 5 years and have absolutely enjoyed them. Activities all day long for all age groups. I would say that once the kids reach teen years the activities might not appeal to them as much as the pool.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Guess my thought is that SPECIAL is how you define special. If its going to the Pancake house for that special Mothers day breakfast I am on the same page. But Camping, especially family camping, in a pop up is SPECIAL by itself. The most special place was site 1734 or 237 or 92 or what ever site you have been assigned. Its the stream that runs behind the site or the dirt trail to the bathroom where the kids look for monsters behind big trees. Our kids never required or wanted to do go-carts, water slides, other than that special pony ride or pioneer village activity where they make crafts or plant corn.

When we go to places like Yellowstone or the Bad lands, we never sought out Jellystone style CG's. Our kids will always remember the Bison and the big bear that wandered thru our campsite in Yellowstone.
Well said Bassdog, and I agree with you 100%!!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:52 PM   #13

Our youngest just turned 38 and is currently camping somewhere near Chattanoga tn in a pop up. Oldest is 41 and currently camping somewhere in Fla in their popup. Several of our kids friends who went with us on weekend Fall trips to Park County and other state parks in Indiana.

Really no malice to the $$'er Jellystone type CG's but if that is how you define Special to your kids, that's how they'll define it to there kids. Make their memories that can only be made when families RV with their kids. that morning when the little ones peeled open the corner of the window over their pull out bed and looked straight at the shoulder of a Bison [stood over 7'tall] just 6" away, the squeals were unforgetable to all and that story will be told for generations.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:06 PM   #14

I was just sharing these comments with my wife and we don't want to end up always camping at jellystones. My wife and I are most interested in the wildlife and hiking and adventures. I suppose our kids will find fun at the places we like.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:46 PM   #15

I agree with Bassdogs that you have to define your own experience. We don't all enjoy/want the same things. I have an uncle who lives in Alaska and I have been out there tent camping among bears. I have no desire to camp that way. It was an special/unique experience yes, but not my idea of fun. You have some state park trips planned, so nothing wrong with trying out a JellyStone. You may enjoy it just as much as your kids...

Edit: I also live in the country and have lots of wildlife around all the time. Sometimes too much wildlife, so I don't feel the need to camp with them necessarily. I just want to have fun with my family. And we do have lots of fun.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:57 PM   #16

Hi been to the Jellystone park in Fremont Indiana every year for the last 5 years and we love it. We are going again this year for a entire week once again. It is a very clean and inviting place for the kids. We do not hesitate to let our 8 year old run and play as much as he likes. With 5 pools to choose from and a water slide that will keep the kids quite busy. Don't forget about Halloween weekend also.Yes this is glamping at its best. So if having 900 eight year olds and there bike roaming around and making all kind of noise isn't your thing then this is not the place for you. Also would like o say that the state parks are a great place also. Love the quiet of the Upper Peninsula.
outofhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:05 PM   #17

We plan on taking our first trip to Jellystone park in Burleson TX this summer and we can't wait. From what I see it will be awesome for our 8 and 16yr old boys. Swimming, paintball, and all the other activities will keep our boys busy and I think we (parents) will be able to relax at the adult pool while the boys are having fun. Camping trips to grounds that do not have such amenities are also fun, but after a few days hiking, biking and horseshoes lose their appeal.
tanracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:33 PM   #18

The first trip we took with our TT was to Jellystone in Erueka, MO. Our kids had a great time, the park was very clean, and the staff was super nice. Our kids are older now, and we planned our summer vacation to Branson, MO. We are staying at Jellystone in Forsyth and my kids area thrilled.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:22 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanracing View Post
We plan on taking our first trip to Jellystone park in Burleson TX this summer and we can't wait. From what I see it will be awesome for our 8 and 16yr old boys. Swimming, paintball, and all the other activities will keep our boys busy and I think we (parents) will be able to relax at the adult pool while the boys are having fun. Camping trips to grounds that do not have such amenities are also fun, but after a few days hiking, biking and horseshoes lose their appeal.
Tan,

We are in Dallas and have twin 16yr boys. I was on the JS Burleson website last night and we are also seriously thinking about a summer trip as well.

If your interested in meeting up let me what dates you guys were thinking about...

Also if your into Tack and Saddle, let me know.. I have a friend in Lubbock who owns a leather store...

----------------

Bassdog, +1

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyprant View Post
...We are planning our summer out now and found the freemont IN jellystone to look pretty appealing to us....
Our Family LOVES, LOVES, LOVES the Yogi Bear CG @ Fremont, IN -- we have been going there every season for the past 3-4 years and it is a wonderful place for kids. We usually spend at least 2 week long visits there each summer as well as 2-3 long weekends (we especially like the Halloween wknds). Our kids are a bit older than yours, but our littlest has been going there since he was 2 and has been asking us all winter long "when are we going back to Yogi"

YES, the Yogi CG is a very busy place (over 600 sites I believe) and you'll need to watch out for your little ones (golf carts, bike riders, etc.), but it is VERY VERY clean and so very well taken care of. The staff is extremely friendly and there is SOOOOO much there for kids to do (5 pools, water slides, wagon rides, train rides, jumping pillows, 5-6 playgrounds, fishing, etc.). The park is owned by Mr. Roger Barry who started the place with another family, and since then Roger's kids have taken over and continue the same great traditions started by the parents. The owners continue to improve the park every year adding something new and that is why they have consistently won so many awards. From the time you check in until the time you leave you'll have fun -- Great Great place overall.

It seems like you are getting some pretty heated feedback from many folks who prefer the more "traditional" vs. "glamping" CG's - but I guess that's why they say "to each his own". I highly suggest you try out the Jellystone as well as the state parks you have planned --- they are both different styles of camping, but both equally fun (we also stay a week at the SP on Lake Michigan each summer and have just as much fun). Hey, as long as you're out camping and spending QT with the family -- it doesn't really matter "where" you are at.

Best of luck to you.
Honda EU3000is
DW, DD x 2 (10 y/o twins), DS x 2 (8 & 6 y/o), and "Oscar" the Weiner Dog
rtbreeves is offline   Reply With Quote