Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-13-2015, 03:39 PM   #1

Question Kentucky Campgrounds

Looking to do some camping in Kentucky this summer anyone know of some good camping spots.My wife and I are not real active since we are in our seventies but we do love to fish and take short walks to view the scenery. Planing on any thing from four days up to a week at a time. Any help would be appreciated.
calwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:49 PM   #2

I would also like to know. We are planning a trip to Mammoth Cave in June and would like to know if anyone has any insight on the area for a TT.
Equil-I-Zer WDH

Bsikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 04:26 PM   #3

How about waiting until fall so you can appreciate the glorious colors? Don't know about campgrounds, but Murray (Land Between the Lakes Nat. Rec. area) and Lexington are both beautiful locations and if you are looking for uniqueness, my favorite place is Berea ~ I'm so impressed that the students 'self-fund' their education by contributing back to the community their skills and services "Berea College charges no tuition, and the sale of the student-made crafts featured here provides scholarships for Berea students. But long before a product is sold, the student craftsman delves into Appalachian artistic heritage, learns about materials and design, experiences the joy of creativity, and identifies the dignity of work well done.". If you like instruments - check Berea out for a Mountain Dulcimer! [just one example of an instrument 'invented' in the US Appalachian dulcimer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: Berea, KY Woodworker: Warren A. May Mountain Dulcimers & Furniture]

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:53 PM   #4

baileys point is on barren lake .... its a nice campground
Old 03-13-2015, 06:39 PM   #5

Kentucky Horse Park Campground in Lexington is very nice. If you like horses, it's just up the road from the park. There is a lot to do in the area. If you like bourbon, there are plenty of distilleries to tour. If you like bluegrass music, the Rosine area has the home and gravesite of Bill Monroe.

As far as the Mammoth cave area, I'd stay away from camping at Beech Bend unless you are going to the park or races there. We stayed there in Oct and we were not impressed. They have a few shaded spots but most are like camping in a parking lot. I've never been to the KOA in Bowling Green but I've heard it's nice.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:45 PM   #6

Dale Hollow Lake SP has a great campground, marina, lots of hiking trails, and if you like fishing / boating you can bring your own or rent a pontoon at the marina. KY has a great system of state parks.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:45 PM   #7

We went to MC last year and stayed at the Yogi Bear campground which is just outside the National Park, I would stay there again. Plenty to do for sure!
Old 03-17-2015, 03:10 PM   #8

Not sure if there is a campground there, but Natural Bridge state park has views like I have never seen before. A short walk through the woods or a quick ride up a ski type lift, and you are standing on the natural bridge. Its just south and east of Lexington. Have stopped there a couple times during our annual mission trip at KMBC

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 03:33 PM   #9

I can highly recommend Elizabeth Town Crossroads Campground, I stay there when I go down to KY for work. They have a great location well suited for any number of day trips and have a nice little catch and release pond.
Home - Elizabethtown Crossroads Campground KY

'12 F250 Ford Super Crew
'15 Jayco Eagle 338RETS
thodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 03:48 PM   #10

Kentucky Campgrounds

Land between the Lakes (Land Between the lakes national recreation area) is a great place to camp. Lots to see and do there. Lots of paved bike/walking trails. Be sure to eat at Patti's (Pattis1880s.com) while you're there.
As mentioned above, the KY horse park is another good one.
KYCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 03:56 PM   #11

Hillman Ferry campground at Land Between the Lakes is our favorite.
KYCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:16 PM   #12

Thanks for all the replies,we have checked some of them out and I think we have decided on either Fort Boonesborough or Natural Bridge.We can camp at one and visit the other on a day trip. Thanks Again Everyone.
calwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:39 PM   #13
GMC

We have stayed at Cave Country RV campground in Cave City KY. Its about 10 minutes or so from Mammoth Cave. We would go back for sure. The down side is that there is very little on the campground to do. No playground, pool, little shade, etc. On the plus side all the sites are pretty level, gravel, and pull through. And there is a new public park/playground within walking distance. The crowd was a little older with some kids around, so it was pretty quiet. The hook ups were strong, and the workers were extremely polite and helpful. We stayed on the opposite end, but FYI there are train tracks that run right next one end.

We drove through the Jelly Stone park and there was plenty to do for sure but man was it crowded and loud. I have heard you can get a day pass to play even if you don't stay there so that be worth looking into.
GMC is offline   Reply With Quote