Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-24-2015, 09:50 AM   #1

Late October Shenandoah Valley VA area

Any campground recommendations for the area around Staunton VA. Wife and I are planning a late October trip into Virginia....

Wife and I love that area but have never camped there....

Shenandoah Valley Campground sounds nice,,,,called no less than 5 times, left repeated messages....never a return call. We have two labs that travel with us, they all well behaved. I'm not sure about the "tame" bunnies.

Staunton/Walnut Hills looks nice. Several less than stellar reviews.

As always, thanks for help and advice
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:22 PM   #2

Stayed at Shenadoah Valley campground LLC. Just off 81 S and you could hear and see the road. Not a week stay CG, but great for an overnight. Next on the return did Luray Jellystone in VA and have to say that was a nice CG with exceptional views of the mountains. Great access to the Skyline Drive PKWY 5 mins up the road which has to be done and will be great in the fall with the change of seasons. Pay 20 bucks and you have access to the road all week. Great hikes, overlooks and ranger stations with comforts throughout the road southbound.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebug View Post
Any campground recommendations for the area around Staunton VA. Wife and I are planning a late October trip into Virginia....

Wife and I love that area but have never camped there....

Shenandoah Valley Campground sounds nice,,,,called no less than 5 times, left repeated messages....never a return call. We have two labs that travel with us, they all well behaved. I'm not sure about the "tame" bunnies.

Staunton/Walnut Hills looks nice. Several less than stellar reviews.

As always, thanks for help and advice
Shenandoah's web site says that pets must be on a leash at all times. They are not to be tied outside unattended. No aggressive behavior. Need to clean up after them. Just the stuff you see in any campground. We have never had occasion to stay there!! There is an after hours/emergency ph. no. 703-615-1210.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:11 PM   #4

The only close by one that I've heard anything about has already been mentioned (Shenandoah Valley LLC). Haven't been there, but I've heard pretty good things.

I haven't been there myself, but several of my friends have been raving about Natural Bridge/Lexington KOA, which is about 40 miles south of Staunton. It gets good reviews on both the Good Sam (8.667 / 10) and KOA (4.5 / 5) websites.

If you want something a little bit north (New Market), Endless Caverns is a pretty nice place - good-sized, terraced sites on the side of the mountain. The cavern tour is decent and it's close enough to I-81, it provides good access to nearby battlefields and other attractions. Good Sam gives it a 8.5/10. If you decide to go there, check out Southern Kitchen in New Market or 24 Crows in Flint Hill, VA. Those are a couple of food joints I've heard good things about and are on our list to check out.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:47 AM   #5

We stay at Walnut Hills all the time. We are going there this weekend and have reserved the first Halloween weekend. The ownership changed a few years ago and they have done great things with it. We love going there. The bath houses are clean and the staff is extremely nice. They do have nice a fishing lake and the trees are beautiful in the fall. I highly recommend it.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:37 AM   #6

Last fall we stayed at the Luray KOA and were very pleased with it. The campground was very quiet, well maintained, and the mountain view from our site was gorgeous. The town of Luray is just a short drive and has lots of neat local shops. Not to far from New Market Battlefield, hiking trails and places to rent kayaks.

Luray KOA | Camping in Virginia | KOA Campgrounds
Old 09-05-2015, 06:02 AM   #7

We stayed at Shenandoah Campground LLC for two nights. Yes, you could see and hear the road from the campground but not much. It was quiet, well maintained and everything worked. I wouldn't plan a week-long stay there but if you're needing just a stopover, this place works great. BTW, once I hit the sack, I never heard any noise from the road or otherwise.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote