Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-05-2016, 07:27 AM   #1

Maine Mid-Coast Campground Recommendations?

We're planning a trip to Maine in June, and have been trying to choose a campground in the mid-coast region (Rockland, Camden, etc.). We need full hookup with 30 amp service for our new Jay Feather 23RLSW. Problem is, the reviews for most of the campgrounds are hard to evaluate. We've considered Megunticook, Camden Hills RV Resort (not the state park), Lake Pemaquid Campground, and a few others. The reviews for each of them range from "it's a dump" to "we love it". How to decide???

Our goal is to spend about a week in the region, and do several day trips from the campground, in addition to several days of just plain relaxing and enjoying Maine.

Can you offer any campground recommendations? Thanks!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:13 PM   #2

My family and I travel every year to Maine to visit family that lives in the Boothbay region. While not as far up the coast as Camden, we love the area and stay at Shore Hills on Wiscasset Rd. (Route 27). In the past when we had a regular Class C rig we would stay "on the hill" in one of the full hookup sites. Wooded and very nice. Now that we have a Super C we stay in the section known locally as "the Desert" because that is where they have full hookups with 50 amps. They also have waterfront (saltwater river) sites that have water and electric only. I've known the owners (through my local family) since I was a teenager. Nice people. But be advised they only accept cash and personal checks, no credit cards. No pool here, but for me that is not a deterrent.

I've always found the facilities to be clean and in good repair. Tons of activities in the Boothbay area and close enough to Acadia you can make it a (long) day trip.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
My family and I travel every year to Maine to visit family that lives in the Boothbay region. While not as far up the coast as Camden, we love the area and stay at Shore Hills on Wiscasset Rd.
Thanks! I was getting close to choosing Shore Hills anyway, you've pretty much confirmed it. And we love the Boothbay region. Been there twice, Acadia once.

Safe travels!

Roger

Old 01-05-2016, 11:48 PM   #4

Here is a shot from 2014 of one of the "Hill" spots as I call them with my former Class C unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Shore Hills on-the-hill spot.jpg  
Old 01-06-2016, 04:14 AM   #5

It may be a little too far south for you, but we stumbled across Chewonki Campground in Wiscasset last year and love it. It's super quiet, and a number of the sites have a water view. It's about a 45 minute ride to Boothbay from the campground.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelly View Post
It may be a little too far south for you, but we stumbled across Chewonki Campground in Wiscasset last year and love it. It's super quiet, and a number of the sites have a water view. It's about a 45 minute ride to Boothbay from the campground.
You're right, it's a little too far south for the trip we're planning, but it sure does look like a good choice.

Thanks again!

Roger

Old 01-06-2016, 10:23 AM   #7

I find it interesting what some people consider too far.

Living in Houston, it can take two hours just to get from one side of town to the other.

We stayed in Boston and did day trips to Kennebunkport, Newport, House of the Seven Gables, Marthas Vineyard, Woods Hole, etc. You can be in a different state just about every day. I like that.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post
There are sometimes issues that do not need to be discussed.

Suffice it to say that in this case we are planning to do day trips in different directions, and hope to be somewhat centered in the area we plan to explore. Also, the one that's a little farther south would require frequent trips through Wiscasset; unfortunately, during tourist season, traffic through Wiscasset can back up for miles in both directions. It's worth avoiding. But if you ever get there, be sure to stop by Red's Eats. Here's a picture (not mine):

andrew.tumblr.com — Red’s Eats.. Best lobster rolls ever!

Note the traffic on the right of the photo. That's US 1.

Roger

Old 01-06-2016, 12:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post

Living in Houston, it can take two hours just to get from one side of town to the other.

We stayed in Boston and did day trips to Kennebunkport, Newport, House of the Seven Gables, Marthas Vineyard, Woods Hole, etc. You can be in a different state just about every day. I like that.

We generally stay in a central location and make extended day trips from there too.

My comment was based on how difficult/time consuming Wiscasset can be to get through, especially based on the locations that were mentioned by the OP

We've been to the mid-west a couple of times and it always amazed us that it takes so long to get across a state

The beauty of camping is that you can take your "house" with you and move if you think a location you'd like to visit is "too far" for a day trip. That's part of why we love it so much
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:27 AM   #10

We go to Maine every June. We started in Old Orchard Beach and have migrated a bit more to the south. I love the Sea Vu campground in Wells. It's close enough to the area sites. Ogunquit, kennebunkport, Portland are all close by.

Definitely not the central area of Maine, but we love it.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhfire152 View Post
We go to Maine every June. We started in Old Orchard Beach and have migrated a bit more to the south. I love the Sea Vu campground in Wells. It's close enough to the area sites. Ogunquit, kennebunkport, Portland are all close by.

Definitely not the central area of Maine, but we love it.
Much appreciated. If we do hit that area, we'll probably stay at Moody Beach and use our Thousand Trails membership. But speaking of Wells, no matter what we will absolutely stop at the Maine Diner!

Thanks,

Roger

Old 01-14-2016, 07:59 PM   #12

Thanks to all for your excellent suggestions and guidance. We have booked Shore Hills Campground for our June vacation in Maine. Can't wait!

Roger

Old 01-14-2016, 08:19 PM   #13

I'm sure you will enjoy it!

If you eat out, try Andrew's Harborside in Boothbay Harbor (BBH) at the end of the footbridge. Famous for their cinnamon rolls (breakfast) and their Scallops Lester for dinner. My family and I also love China by the Sea also in BBH, best crab rangoon we get anywhere.

If you like whale watching, I have always seen at least a couple of whales on Cap'n Fish's whale watching trips. Not cheap, but worth the money IMHO. Last fall this is a shot of one of the several humpback whales we saw on our latest trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Humpback sounding dive.jpg  
Old 01-14-2016, 08:40 PM   #14

I am kind of local. First forget Red's. I support the local economy but I can make a lobster roll for five bucks. That is a main bottleneck. Reds. Now that its closed for the season.. no people standing in the road.

Because I am nearby I don't camp mid coast. But I can tell you without prejudice about the area that the three OP alternatives offer . I can't comment on facilities. Camden Hills is on Rt 90. There is not an ocean or lake view at all from Rt 90. Its a connecting road from Rt 1 to bypass Rockland. Great for hikers; the local land trust is active and has preserved many mountains for trails. Maybe not so much for those wanting a view or water other than a pool.

Lake Pemaquid is fresh water and a favorite for the local paddling club. If you want to swim this might be for you.

Megunticook is not on the ocean.Its on a hill. Yes there is a view. Its next to the main artery Route 1.

Old Quarry Campground has two RV sites. Its right on the ocean. It is in Stonington though which is about a 1.5 hour ride from what you are looking at.

I live right across the lake from Kokatosi Campground in Raymond. Its very RV friendly on a nice lake , nice beach. But its about 45 minutes NW of the coast at Portland. More oriented toward inland and the White Mountains. Hour and 40 minutes to Camden. So not quite the area you are looking for.
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
Thanks to all for your excellent suggestions and guidance. We have booked Shore Hills Campground for our June vacation in Maine. Can't wait!

Roger
Aah . Near the Boothbay Railway. We were down there last month. I have driven by there about 100 times. Being a former tent camper never been in. It seems OK if rather open.

Things to do in the area that are not hyped about are the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens. Oven Mouth Preserve. We sometimes run from inland to take a whale watch just to get cool, when the temps reach 90, but those are the other two things we relative locals enjoy all year round.

PS. take the shuttle bus. Its worth it. June is not quite the high season but Boothbay Harbor parking is limited. The grocery store is in Boothbay so that is closer and its just a strip mall with no parking issues.

I recommend if you can go back through Wiscasset and down Rt 127 to Five Islands Lobster Pound. Bring your own booze.(they are not licensed but byob is fine). Do not take the trailer there, otherwise it will be permanently installed. There is no turnaround.
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:29 PM   #16

Kim, I love all your suggestions. This will be our third visit to the Boothbay/mid-coast region. Both previous visits - like this one - were one week pre-season. Yeah, I know about the parking in Boothbay Harbor, but we never had a problem. I do believe the shuttle runs to the campground, too. One thing I suggest is the Maine State Aquarium; it's not expensive, and kids will just love the shark touch tank.

We never quite got around to eating at Red's in Wiscasset, but just loved our meal at Sarah's across the street. And I agree, Five Islands Lobster is out of the way but worth the trip.

And we just gotta do a Captain Fish's cruise. I especially like the one where he takes you all the way out to Pemaquid Point Lighthouse.

Again, thanks!

Roger