Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-05-2015, 10:23 PM   #21

Seven days to go on 8/29! Are your leaving Sunday? Can't wait to hear the outcome of your week with Mr. & Mrs. Gladys Kravitts! (Or was that Mr. & Mrs Adolph Hitler?)

Murff

Andersen Hitch
Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 12:47 AM   #22

I Know of no campground that allows anything to be attached to trees. It is amazing how easy it is to harm a tree to the point it dies. Besides being a potential hazard to others.

From the sound of some of the comments, wanting to cause damage because they had to follow rules, I think there should be a campground guest black list. Having worked in a number of campgrounds it's amazing how little people respect nature or facilities. Besides no respect to their neighbors. And yes I have left campgrounds I was working at because I didn't agree with how they ran the place. But I have seen the nasty side of campers and there are far more of them than mean campground owners.

I too will await the naming of the campground.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:40 PM   #23

Murff
Andersen Hitch
Old 09-06-2015, 05:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
I Know of no campground that allows anything to be attached to trees.
Disney's FT. Wilderness does. Hammocks are between trees all the time as well as clothes lines.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:57 PM   #25

***UPDATED***

So, I will start out by saying the members here who guessed the campground being Custer’s Gulch RV Park in Custer South Dakota are 100% correct. We spent 13 days there with my mother and her significant other John. 7 of those days were with my nieces ages 12 & 20 who flew in from Vancouver, Canada.

I will say that the park is very nice and neatly maintained. The grass is kept cut however, they could care less where they blow the clippings. All over your rig, the outdoor carpet and chairs etc.

The couple of issues I stated in my original and subsequent posts before that really angered me was the Hammock and TIKI Torch thing and the way they went about telling me about it. I told the owner when he approached me about the Hammock I would take it down without an argument. But he continued to lecture me about people like me ruining trees. I walked away. He has my money. I am not an idiot. I purchased this hammock recently and purchased the suspension system for it that was safe for trees and would not scar the bark. I used it but up in the woods off campground property.

The TIKI Torch issue was absurd. The owner wife racing up into our site during dinner time with her golf cart saying we couldn’t have Tiki Torches in such a rude demeanor because they had to be “state inspected”? We couldn’t even use table top Tiki’s. But we were allowed to have fires in the designated pit 10 feet away. Again, the way she went about it treating me like a child. Again, without argument I put them out and stored them. They have my money. Tiki Torches I believe would be safer than a campfire.

The continual 3 times a day drive by inspection was becoming a PITA. After talking to a few of our neighbors, the general consensus is the owners will do anything to find a reason to evict you or make it so uncomfortable to stay, hopefully you will leave and there are absolutely no refunds for early departures. There is a BIG sign in the office reflecting that along with the sign that reads “We have the right to refuse service to ANYONE”. In fact, the elderly couple staying next to us said they made reservations in January and requested a few sites to choose from. When they arrived a few days before us and asked what site they were on, the same lady owner who approached me with the TIKI’s, rudely told them they would not be told what site they were on until they paid in full first. Does that sound like a scam or what? They were staying for a month. So if they weren’t happy with the choice of site, they would be refused service without refund.

Bottom line, Check reviews before you make reservations at any campground. I didn’t at first, and when I made reservations for this trip in October 2014, I made the reservations for 2 sites (Mom & Me). Their web page states reservations are charged a “non-refundable” deposit equal to 1 nights stay for each site. I understand that, but when it is $34.00 per night and my credit card is charged $100.00 for the 2 sites in February, I figured I wouldn’t contest it, we are going anyway. At this point I started to become uneasy and began reading reviews about Custer’s Gulch. Mostly positive, some regarding unfriendly owners and their son. I figured there are 2 sides to those stories. Unfortunately, the negative comments about them were somewhat accurate. I did interact with the son for a brief moment but he was just unfriendly. We were NEVER asked how everything was during our visit nor were we thanked when we paid our bill upon check in.

I would never return to this campground solely on my experience with the owners. You cannot relax because it seemed they were making up the rules as we went along. The one page of rules need to be updated. It’s too bad because the campground is beautiful.

I will have a thread started shortly highlighting our trip.....Stay tuned.

2015 Jayco 24FBS Elite Jay Flight
2013 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4X4 6.0L 3.73 Axle
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller
Equal-i-zer Hitch 10k/1000
Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:14 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
I Know of no campground that allows anything to be attached to trees. It is amazing how easy it is to harm a tree to the point it dies. Besides being a potential hazard to others.

From the sound of some of the comments, wanting to cause damage because they had to follow rules, I think there should be a campground guest black list. Having worked in a number of campgrounds it's amazing how little people respect nature or facilities. Besides no respect to their neighbors. And yes I have left campgrounds I was working at because I didn't agree with how they ran the place. But I have seen the nasty side of campers and there are far more of them than mean campground owners.

I too will await the naming of the campground.
Hi wags,

I understand where your coming from. The trees I was hanging the hammock from were 12-14 in diameter. Again, I purchased a suspension system for that hammock with the intention of not harming the trees. It was designed for that purpose. I was not putting any nails, screws etc. into the trees.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:14 AM   #27

Thanks for the update. Sounds like a great place to avoid!

Murff
Andersen Hitch
Old 09-09-2015, 02:39 PM   #28

If you don't have to interact with the owners other than checking in, it's ok. Just follow the rules. ;-)

Old 09-09-2015, 02:56 PM   #29

While you were there did you observe this kind of behavior of the owners towards any other campers or did you feel you were singled out?
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:53 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrck46 View Post
While you were there did you observe this kind of behavior of the owners towards any other campers or did you feel you were singled out?
As for the rules, it was the way they approached me about them, In a rude and unfriendly manner. If I were approached and spoken to with respect, things would have been different. I'm not sure about rules with the other campers. As for the general rudeness and unfriendly demeanor, everyone we spoke to had the same experience.

This is a business of hospitality, if customers are treated like this, why would they?