Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-25-2015, 09:23 PM   #1

Make up the rules as you go?

So here we are at a campground in South Dakota, (I won't mention the name until our trip is complete). We checked in on Saturday, Sunday morning I had set up a nice ENO hammock in back of our TT. Within an hour, the owner..I am assuming, barged into our site with a golf cart and said we "obviously" didn't read the rule book. He said hammocks are not allowed. The one "page" of rules we did get said "no clotheslines". The hammock I have has a flat 3" cotton suspension strap. Says right on the instructions it will not harm trees. He treated me like a little child but, seeing how the already have my money, I don't want to give a reason to evict us, I took down the hammock.

Tonight, after 2 days of being here, and our TIKI Torches set up since Sunday morning, I was approached by a woman who stated we could not use our TIKI Torches that we have been using since Sunday. Again, she barged into our site with a golf cart and rudely said while we were eating dinner "we have to put those out" they have to be inspected by the state. Now WTF? I bought these at Walmart!!

I will follow up on this thread when our trip is complete. I feel as if we are being singled out and they are trying to "push us" to leave or find a reason to evict us without a refund. We had planned this trip for over year and so far it seems we are walking on eggshells here. NO WHERE in their rules does it say no hammocks or TIKI Torches.

2015 Jayco 24FBS Elite Jay Flight
2013 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4X4 6.0L 3.73 Axle
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller
Equal-i-zer Hitch 10k/1000
Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:33 PM   #2

As you say, wait before bad mouthing the name of their park. When you leave, feel free to write reviews at RVParky.com, Good Sam, Yelp and Trip Advisor. I, for one, read these reviews.

If you want to feel real good, as you leave, tell the campground owners you inspect campgrounds all over the country and write reviews. Be sure to mention how "memorable" your stay has been and you can't wait to share it!

Sounds like a great place to avoid.

Murff

Andersen Hitch
Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
As you say, wait before bad mouthing the name of their park. When you leave, feel free to write reviews at RVParky.com, Good Sam, Yelp and Trip Advisor. I, for one, read these reviews.

If you want to feel real good, as you leave, tell the campground owners you inspect campgrounds all over the country and write reviews. Be sure to mention how "memorable" your stay has been and you can't wait to share it!

Sounds like a great place to avoid.

Murff
GREAT Idea.... I love the idea of telling them you write reviews for campgrounds, In fact, Say you "Write for several prominent camping publishings" because, after all, when you rate them in all the on line camping blogs and clubs you are doing just that so, you're not lying.
Leo801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:20 AM   #4

Wow, that's rude, I would also take photos of any other sites where their "rules" are being broken and throw that in when you leave.
"Gonna buy a home on wheels see
how it feels going mobile"
mothernaturesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:29 PM   #5

That is insane I bet there are some seasonals there with things up that shouldn't be. And for them to bother you about a hammock and some torches is just crazy. Ask how they keep bugs away . I love the review idea, I will have to borrow that one. Well good luck hope it works out. You gonna have five us the name so we can avoid it. Try to make the best of it.

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:41 PM   #6

Must be Custer Gulch
2013 F150 Super Crew 3.5, 3:31
2004 f150 Super Crew 5.4, 3:73 traded
silverark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:50 AM   #7

I like rules at a campground to an extent. We are at a campground now in Ocean view NJ. They don't enforce any of there rules. I don't know what's worse. You have speeders and everything else. Making the best of it. And our premium site is just rock over sand with weeds everywhere. Oh well we know now not to come back

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:39 AM   #8

I have to say, some CG's I've been to can go a little overboard. We stayed at a CG that had a huge community firepit. We went with friends and had 11 sites. That Saturday night about 7:30, we all got together for a fire in the pit and some acoustic guitar playing. Not loud at all and far away from the other campers. We were having a great time laughing and the kids singing...just having fun. Just then, the CG "Mayor" comes flying into the pit site in his personal cart. About 21 years old and walks over raising his voice, telling us we need to go back to our sites and that we were being too loud. First of all, it's 7:30 on a Saturday night in the Summer and second of all..slow down! Kids screaming and laughing at the playground, people listening to music and cooking having fun playing horseshoes and WE'RE being too loud?

C'mon Maaaaaaaaaaaannnnn!!!
Equal-I-Zerô WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:52 AM   #9

Custer's Gulch came to mind also.

"Its easier to ask forgivness than permission"
SBL9A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:55 AM   #10

What a shame. And yet people still camp there. Some folks actually like this kind of policing.

Many years ago my dad stayed at a CG a couple of times where the owners made you put your fire out at 10:00 PM, and knocked on your door at midnight if they saw you watching TV. Heaven forbid! Imagine what they'd do if you were outside talking that late!

Anyway, my go to is RV Park Reviews. Please share your experiences there. Might want to look online at the web sites cited and see what others have been saying about the place you are at.

I will say this, hammocks attached to trees is banned at many private RV parks. But the rules are usually very clear. This doesn't sound like they were clear.