Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-11-2019, 09:13 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave_Jan
May trip

My Bride and I and another couple will be taking a 4 week trip from AL up the east coast thru PA on to Niagara Falls, and back. Niagara Falls is on my Bride's bucket list If anyone has any park recommendations feel free to share. Leaving late May.
97 Jeep Wrangler
Dave_Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:23 PM   #2

We're staying at Branches of Niagara in August.

It's easily the highest rated park on all sites. It'll be the first time there for us so no personal reviews.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:27 PM   #3

Sound like an awesome trip, it's to far from me so I'm no help.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:25 AM   #4

If you are coming across I-10 to I-95, I'd first head south and hit St. Augustine, FL if you've never been. Spend a few days there. We like North Beach Campground. It is on A1A, just across from the beach.

Heading north on I-95, check out Jekyll Island, GA. There's a campground on Jekyll Island and several at the exit (exit 29). We like Blythe Island Regional Park and Campground and Coastal GA RV Resort. Savannah, GA is good for a day or two, we like Skidaway Island State Park.

We really like Hilton Head, SC and Charleston, SC and could spend a few days at each location. Both are a little ways off I-95. We've never camped on Hilton Head. We really like Oak Plantation Campground. It's the closet campground to downtown Charleston. James Island County Park is very popular, but might be tough to get a reservation on short notice.

Not much of interest to us in NC along I-95. We've only done quick overnight stops in NC. VA is a beautiful state, although northern VA's brutal traffic sorta ruins the rest of the state for me. We've stayed at the KOA in Fredericksburg. We got stranded there when our tow vehicle broke down in late November. It seemed like a nice campground with lots of Civil War history close by (if you are in to that).

Western MD is beautiful, but might be too far off your route. We like Rocky Gap State Park (about 2 hours west of I-95 without traffic) and there are some okay state parks south of Baltimore. We stayed at Patapsco Valley State Park in a pop-up back in 2005. We had electric and water, don't know if they've upgraded sites since then. The eastern shore of MD is nice as well, but never camped there.

Nothing nice in DE along I-95 as far as I know. There are a few decent campgrounds in NJ. Most of the campgrounds in the southern half of NJ are at the Jersey Shore, about an hour from the NJ turnpike. There are a handful of campgrounds in NJ within a 30 minute drive to Philadelphia. Or you can stay in PA. Perhaps stay in Lancaster, Amish Country, and take the hour or so drive to Philadelphia. There are closer campgrounds in PA to Philly like the West Chester KOA.

Can't help with NY.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:21 AM   #5

I live near Niagara Falls. Four Mile Creek State Park in Youngstown, NY is nice too if you're into that kind of camping, right on Lake Ontario. It can get filled up so you may want reservations.

Keep in mind, if you want to visit Niagara Falls, Ontario you'll need passports. You can park on the US side at the state park and walk across the Rainbow bridge if you want. It's a beautiful walk and you won't have to worry about the hassles of parking on the Canadian side. Don't expect much from the actual city of Niagara Falls, NY--stay down by the Falls.

Take a ride to the Buffalo waterfront if you have time, you may want to avoid Thursday evenings due the weekly concert and its traffic. Take one of the boat tours.

Let me know if you need any info about the area, I've lived there all my life. Have fun!
Old 03-16-2019, 05:56 PM   #6

There is supposed to be a KOA on the Canada side that is phenomenal. I have not been there but we may go this year or next. I also have been told the Canada side of the falls is better than the US side.

TV = 2006 F-350 CC DRW 6.0
TT = 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
TT = 2007 Jayco Jay Flight 27bh - SOLD
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:35 PM   #7

Was there two years ago. Don't drive that far without going to Canadian side. Views are way better on that side.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:30 AM   #8

If you're looking for a beach campground recommendation in South Carolina, we just returned from Edisto Beach State Park. There are two campgrounds, the Beachfront campground and Live Oaks campground. We stayed at the Beach campground for a week and absolutely loved it. The pictures and videos I watched before arriving didn't do it justice. The sites are spaced far apart compared to most campgrounds, the sound of the waves can be heard all day and night, it's kept very clean and the people were extremely friendly.

The town of Edisto is very laid back with a small grocery store directly across from the park entrance. There are a handful of good places to eat and best of all there are no chain restaurants of any kind. If you like to visit beaches that are more in there natural state and not overly developed, I would highly recommend it.
Wonderment is offline   Reply With Quote