Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-27-2019, 09:50 AM   #1

Mesa Verde Colorado

Looking for advice taking our Jayco 35s for first time and heading west? Talking about leaving Ohio in May and heading to Mesa Verde National Park. Any advice on Routes and possible campgrounds in this area. See there is a campground in the park, but not sure about taking our MH through the mountains. Any advice appreciated. We are towing all wheels down. Ford Focus.
Rconhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:12 AM   #2

Is Mesa Verde the only destination? How long do you have? How long do you want to stay there? Anything else you want to see and do?

There are some great routes through Colorado where you could do a Colorado loop. Likewise you could hit New Mexico, Arizona, Utah...

On the way out (coming from central Indiana) we've had good luck with the Walmart in Wentzville, MO (just past St. Louis) for a night.

From there it's a nice easy day to Wilson State Park or Kanopolis State Park in MO. Or a little further to Cedar Bluff.

Just depends on your route.

With the family I like to limit driving out and back to 6-7 hour days. By myself I'd go 2x that easy.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:35 AM   #3

West

We are a little older so travel about 5 to 6 hours a day. How where mountains for traveling in Colorado? Are roads other than interstates OK for pulling (in respect to mountains). Just have not ever been west and looking forward to it. But want to be prepared. And yes we are looking at the maps for other places. We went to Grand Canyon from Vegas years ago so want to see other things. Thanks for any recommendations
Rconhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:56 AM   #4

The short answer to your question is... Yes.

We were out there three years ago in a 32ft class C. No issues what so ever. I've done the drive with trailer for other reasons in the past as well. I even ventured down a fire road in Crested Butte for some off the grid camping with the class C. Stay to the major roads/trucking routes and you won't have any issues. 550 was a little hairy at night in the rain having never been on it, but not a big deal.

We are heading that way in two weeks with a 38 ft trailer this time. Again if you stick to the main routes and take your time there is nothing to be worried about.

As you narrow down where you want to go, folks here can help identify the best routes as well.

I think you have the opportunity for a great loop around Colorado with Mesa Verde. Up 550 through Silverton and Ouray to Grand Junction. Over through Rocky Mountain national park.

On the way to Mesa Verde you could come through Colorado Springs (Great state park just south of town I'd have to look it up.) From there work your way over to Gunnison/Crested Butte. Then maybe down to Durango.

Out there your limiting factor is how much time you have and what sort of things you want to see. My issue with west trips is usually finding the balance between seeing as much as we can while still taking time to relax and stay in one place for long enough to enjoy it.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:27 PM   #5

I've been all over Colorado many times, never had any issues pulling our TT or on my Haley pulling a pop up. Very few roads more than a 6% grade uphill, maybe 7% downhill. I rarely take the interstates. Stay off dirt roads and you should have no issues. 550 does have some switchbacks which can scare some folks. From Silverton to Ouray is a two lane road mountain on one side, drop off on the other, that also scares some folks. I've ridden them pulling with truck and Harley, never any issue.

Good Luck. Enjoy. Utah has some fantastic parks also, Moab is not far from Mesa Verde..

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:28 PM   #6

Hello! I too have plans to head up to Mesa Verde. I was told the 550 was not friendly or adequate for Travel Trailers.. so going to Silverton or Ouray was not possible. Have you done this before?
2016 Toyota Tundra SR5
RGawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 02:34 PM   #7

Made this trip last fall - I picked up U.S. Highway 50 in Cincinnati, took it all the way west to Salida CO. Picked up U.S. 285 south to U.S.160, continuing west. I went south at Durango on U.S. 550. The roads were good all the way. You shouldn't have any problem in your coach / towing. Lots of history along U.S.50. Didn't have any problem finding camping along the way and didn't have any reservations in advance of our departure (made camping arrangements on the road after deciding how far we were going to travel that day) Enjoy the journey!