Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-21-2019, 05:51 AM   #1

Michigan charging to empty tanks

I stopped at our local state park to empty our tanks and was told that they recently decided to charge $10 each time. Wow $10? I understand charging boondockers but $10 seems exhorbitant to me.
Don Lumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:17 AM   #2

I had noticed that fee amount recently as well. I haven't needed the service since I haven't boondocked. I just presumed there was always a charge if you weren't a guest at the state park. That said, it's the first time I actually noticed a sign stating a fee. Maybe because, as you said, they never charged for that until this year for non-campers.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:26 AM   #3
Site Team

I don't think that is an unfair amount to pay.

That is what they charge here also if you are not camping in a sewer site or just drop in to leave your "crap".
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:26 AM   #4

Looks like it may only be at some "pilot" parks to start, most likely the more popular ones. Here is a doc showing all the increases that took effect last year.

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/d...s_577977_7.pdf
Old 06-21-2019, 06:38 AM   #5

Every state and county park system is hurting for revenue so this doesn't surprise me. Many county parks in WI have been doing this for years, and I know Delta County in the UP also has been doing this for a while.

Right now WI state parks are fully self funding (no state dollars contributed) and fees have been going up. It would not surprise me if they started doing the same thing.

When all is said and done I don't think this is unreasonable if you haven't paid to use the facilities.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:45 AM   #6

I would gladly pay $10 to dump my tanks, especially if I just stopped in to do that. Be even better if they updated some of these facilities to make the experience better (broken flush hoses, too narrow pull ins, dump hole higher than the camper etc.). Unfortunately there will now be more people unwilling to pay and using less desirable ways to empty their tanks.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:45 AM   #7

what will happen, as with all things is they will charge then raise the rate then all of a sudden there will be a rash of people opening their valves and driving down the road... then putting the cap back on .. and continuing home saving the new charge because they want to "beat the man" then there will be an uproar.. then they will go back to making it free because the cost to clean up all the poo will be more than the cost to use the appropriate facilities...

and $10 bucks for 100 gal is ridiculous.. we get our holding tank cleaned out and they come to the cabin 1200 gal for $80 bucks..
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:20 AM   #8

I do understand that since I wasn't a registered camper that emptying tanks might require a fee but I still think $10 is a little high. But I seem to be the minority so I won't take it personal. [emoji16]
Don Lumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Every state and county park system is hurting for revenue so this doesn't surprise me. Many county parks in WI have been doing this for years, and I know Delta County in the UP also has been doing this for a while.

Right now WI state parks are fully self funding (no state dollars contributed) and fees have been going up. It would not surprise me if they started doing the same thing.

When all is said and done I don't think this is unreasonable if you haven't paid to use the facilities.
We were at a Kettle Moraine Northern Unit state park in WI last week. When we were dumping our tanks we noticed a sign stating dumping is free for registered campers but there is a $10 charge for non registered campers. Plus they have to purchase a day pass. I agree that it's not unreasonable to change to use the facilities if you didn't camp there.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:34 AM   #10

Darn. I live in Michigan, and sometimes when we return home from a long trip, we like to stop at the nearby state park for a dump and a flush.

$10.00 seems high. After all, I do pay taxes, and I bought a state park sticker. Are they charging people to use the bathrooms, too?

Okay, so I understand it's a user fee. But, someone else is getting welfare or some other state service, and I'm going to pay ten bucks to dump my tank?

Gripe, gripe, gripe, right?
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:43 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

One of Michigan's DNR "Recreation Passport" benefits was "free" dumping at Michigan State Parks when not a registered camper......., this is no longer a benefit with the new $10 dumping fee program. A State Park ranger advised me of this 'benefit loss' while camping at a State Park Memorial Day weekend when I question the $10 dumping fee sign.

Michigan has an annual DNR "Recreation Passport" that is a license-plate-based system ('Passport' at additional cost) that took the place of the old annual/day use DNR windshield 'stickers' purchased at the State Parks. It should be noted that the "Recreation Passport" cost increases by almost 50% if purchased at a State Park. The intent of the "Recreation Passport" program was that 100% of the revenue was for maintaining and improving our State Parks, and that the new 'Recreation Passport' purchase system would draw in additional revenue.

Typical Michigan....., resident benefit erosion continues.

End of rant

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:03 AM   #12

Maybe they can spend the 10$ collected on the roads. Then I wouldn't feel abused driving through MI.

Paying 10$ to dump tanks is pretty fair and about what I've paid most anywhere else when travelling in the SW. If I couldn't afford the 10$ I certainly wouldn't be able to afford the beer and tequila.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
Darn. I live in Michigan, and sometimes when we return home from a long trip, we like to stop at the nearby state park for a dump and a flush.

$10.00 seems high. After all, I do pay taxes, and I bought a state park sticker. Are they charging people to use the bathrooms, too?

Okay, so I understand it's a user fee. But, someone else is getting welfare or some other state service, and I'm going to pay ten bucks to dump my tank?

Gripe, gripe, gripe, right?
True, you could pick and poke at every fee and tax arguing it’s need. Dumping tanks is one I can get behind. RV camping is not a cheap thing to do, we can all agree with the rare exception that you don’t move from a tent camping to an RV or TT camper if you are pinching pennies and living on a hand to mouth budget. If you are then maybe RV camping shouldn’t be in your budget in the first place.
I want my State Parks well funded and well staffed. I want them well taken care of and respected. When concrete keeps creeping closer and closer and big corporations have their fingers in everything, I want State Parks to have the funds to stay relevant. Who’s saying the funds go where they need to? Who knows, but if $10 helps then so be it.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:05 AM   #14

If your only using the dump station. A cost ($10.00) is standard at most parks, either State or Mom/Pops.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:07 AM   #15

You could take your full tanks and Dump them for free in L.A. or San Francisco they have apps that help you spot and report the Fecal matter on the streets I'm sure there is more then one Randy Quaid unloading his tanks at night. $10.00 doesn't seam too bad depending on tank size
Debdon Journeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 11:17 AM   #16

Dump fee at Washington State Parks has been $10 for a very long time.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
True, you could pick and poke at every fee and tax arguing it’s need. Dumping tanks is one I can get behind. RV camping is not a cheap thing to do, we can all agree with the rare exception that you don’t move from a tent camping to an RV or TT camper if you are pinching pennies and living on a hand to mouth budget. If you are then maybe RV camping shouldn’t be in your budget in the first place.
I want my State Parks well funded and well staffed. I want them well taken care of and respected. When concrete keeps creeping closer and closer and big corporations have their fingers in everything, I want State Parks to have the funds to stay relevant. Who’s saying the funds go where they need to? Who knows, but if $10 helps then so be it.
+1

I'm actually surprised more places DON'T charge to dump tanks. We have a "mom & pop" CG here in town that lets us dump for free if they have a site available. It blew my mind that they would let me do that. If suddenly they wanted to charge me $10, I would probably fork it over happily. They fill propane tanks too, but I haven't had the chance to purchase any as a "thank you" for letting me dump.

But I don't really need to do that any more since I have a macerator and 100' hose and can dump my tanks at my home...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:57 PM   #18

Whenever I’ve had to dump my tanks outside of the campground I’ve always been charged either five or $10 to dump.
lrousseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 02:05 PM   #19

For state and local parks dump stations are something of the double-edged sword. Some folks refuse to pay anything and will dump illegally. Those same clowns are also the ones who make a mess of the dump station and worse, dump stuff that destroys the site. Never seen it, but have heard of jerks dumping oil at an RV dump station. Most RV parks and truck stops charge for dumping, and many cities and towns now charge sewer fees. Someone's gotta pay to maintain the dump station.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:10 PM   #20

Here in New York, Andy Cuomo just said "Hmmm?"
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote