Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-29-2014, 08:59 PM   #1

Michigan to Florida, need campground ideas

So we made reservations for Fort Wilderness at Disney for February 1-13. Looking for suggestions on campgrounds on the way or other places to stop in Florida.

First day we will be stopping somewhere south of Indianapolis but north of Louisville.

Second night we are going to try for somewhere south of atlanta, but would like to get as close as possible to the Florida line

Traveling with a jayco 165rb towed by dodge grand caravan....three kids under 4 ( they have made the drive down many times, but never towing a trailer).

Any tips or tricks would be great as well. I just installed a prodigy rf brake controller and will have a wdh before this trip.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:04 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

I would think you would have to be WELL south of Indianapolis to find a campground open in January

I would just pick a hotel for the first couple of nights. 4 hour drive with a normal car so you can add an hour towing. 5 hours just to get to Indy. Long drive with 4 kids dragging a camper

nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:07 PM   #3

We are seriously considering a hotel stay the first night.

We usually drive to Florida, stopping for a night in Chattanooga, tn...but figure with the camper I better give it an extra day.

I have to work until 3:00pm so I can get a good 5-6 hours in, spend th night somewhere around Indy and make day two a lot shorter.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:15 PM   #4

Not too far South of Atlanta there is Atlanta South CG, further South of Atlanta we use Fair Harbor in Perry exit 135 and also Cordele KOA, exit 97. If you get to the FL/GA line there is a Camping World/Good Sam CG at exit 5 as well as Eagle's Roost.

See you at the FORT we should be in the 400 loop..
Old 08-29-2014, 09:18 PM   #5

Leaving in two weeks for a disney trip, no camper though. We are planning to spend a day at the fort and pick out a loop and type of site. Any suggestions would be great
Old 08-29-2014, 09:26 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by r8ingbull View Post
We are seriously considering a hotel stay the first night.

We usually drive to Florida, stopping for a night in Chattanooga, tn...but figure with the camper I better give it an extra day.

I have to work until 3:00pm so I can get a good 5-6 hours in, spend th night somewhere around Indy and make day two a lot shorter.

5-6hours is a long time towing ,plus adding the 2-3 times you will stop for fuel. There may be some campgrounds open but with temps that could get below freezing you are going to have to keep your trailer winterized so it wouldn't be usable anyway. I would definitely stay in a hotel.

plus don't forget to take all of your winterizing gear(antifreeze esp) with you as you will need to do it before you come back.

Good luck...you have better kids than me...lol
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:31 PM   #7

Depends on whether you want to be close to the pool or the Settlement and the marina. With your size unit you can definitely get by with full hook-up 1600-1900 which would put you close to the pool. And you would also fit with no problem in 100-200 (preferred) close to the Marina and Trails End resturant and the Settlement trading post. Getting 100 or 200 this late may be a long shot though. Full hook-up and Preffered are nice size concrete pad as well as a coquina pad (sand) Now the premium sites would give you an all concrete pad, but those are more expensive. In Premium the closest to the pool would be 1400 followed by 900 and 1000 and closest to the Marina would be 400 & 700.

Also check out www.fortfiends.net lots of good info and you will get questions answered by those who have been going to the FORT even longer than we have.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:32 PM   #8

Good point on the winterizing kit. It's our first camper so I am not sure yet what that entails. I will get it figured out when I winterized this fall. Make sure I take a full set of whatever.

The kids are good, they have been making long car trips since they were newborns so they can handle it. Last June we took an eight week old new born, 12 month old daughter, 11 month old son and 2 year old daughter all down to disney. They did great in the car. First day we made it to Forsyth, ga.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Depends on whether you want to be close to the pool or the Settlement and the marina. With your size unit you can definitely get by with full hook-up 1600-1900 which would put you close to the pool. And you would also fit with no problem in 100-200 (preferred) close to the Marina and Trails End resturant and the Settlement trading post. Getting 100 or 200 this late may be a long shot though. Full hook-up and Preffered are nice size concrete pad as well as a coquina pad (sand) Now the premium sites would give you an all concrete pad, but those are more expensive. In Premium the closest to the pool would be 1400 followed by 900 and 1000 and closest to the Marina would be 400 & 700.

Also check out www.fortfiends.net lots of good info and you will get questions answered by those who have been going to the FORT even longer than we have.
Have been studying the map of the fort, right now we are even considering a tent site. We don't use the camper toilet, but grey water will be an issue without full hookups. Definitely pool over parks people, probably won't even go to a park on this trip. I think we will pay close attention to the sites in 1600-1900 when we are there in a few weeks
Old 08-29-2014, 09:44 PM   #10

Not sure if they will let you in tent sites, depends on who is at the gate. If you do go tent definitely don't ask for 2000 too far from the pool and party city on weekends.