Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-17-2022, 03:30 PM   #1

Myrtle Beach State Park

Doing a little research into a potential east coast trip in the next couple of years and I've heard good things about Myrtle Beach State Park. I was on the site looking at the map, and one of the things that stood out was that alcoholic beverages are prohibited. I'm used to the beach being alcohol free from the provincial parks here in Ontario; however, I've not seen where your campsite is dry also.

It's not that we are big drinkers, I don't drink at all and my DW enjoys a glass of wine or a G&T around the campfire, and in doing some additional digging it sounds like it is not strictly enforced. I am wondering if anyone has had any experiences, good or bad, with this?

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 03:39 PM   #2

Can't speak directly for SC, but I have found that many State and local parks have that caveat. Normally if you use common sense and don't flaunt your beverages it is not a problem while at your camp site.
Old 01-17-2022, 03:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by colby View Post
Doing a little research into a potential east coast trip in the next couple of years and I've heard good things about Myrtle Beach State Park. I was on the site looking at the map, and one of the things that stood out was that alcoholic beverages are prohibited. I'm used to the beach being alcohol free from the provincial parks here in Ontario; however, I've not seen where your campsite is dry also.

It's not that we are big drinkers, I don't drink at all and my DW enjoys a glass of wine or a G&T around the campfire, and in doing some additional digging it sounds like it is not strictly enforced. I am wondering if anyone has had any experiences, good or bad, with this?
We were there in October for a reunion, but stayed at the KOA nearby, however, our friend and member here, https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...ore-76033.html, stayed at that park. Contact him and tell him Rene sent you. I believe he liked it very much.
Old 01-17-2022, 03:53 PM   #4

Smile

And like Grumpy mentioned, there is no such thing as a dry park, lol. Just use common sense
Old 01-17-2022, 03:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
We were there in October for a reunion, but stayed at the KOA nearby, however, our friend and member here, https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...ore-76033.html, stayed at that park. Contact him and tell him Rene sent you. I believe he liked it very much.
This is awesome, thank you.

And what you and Grumpy were saying is what was echoed elsewhere. I just trust the members of this forum rather than other sites.

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Old 01-17-2022, 04:09 PM   #6
Site Team

We have camped in many SC state parks including many times at MB SP and Huntington Beach SP. I am not a big drinker at all and as long as someone is in their site having a quiet toddy, no one cares.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 05:09 PM   #7

We've done that trip a few times, from Ontario.

We enjoyed Myrtle Beach SP. We also visit Huntington Beach SP and it is also very nice. If you're working your way down the coast, Scusset Beach SP is nice, so is First Landing SP (our favourite campground).

As for the no alcohol, they just don't want you walking around with a can of beer. Put it in a travel mug and you're good to go. On your own site, drink out of a glass instead of the bottle/can.

I think they have the rule so that if there's an issue, they can point to it and kick you out.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:38 PM   #8

Related note, how close are the full hookup sites to the water? I know its not water front, but are they walkable? How long of a walk?
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 06:02 PM   #9

We stay next door at Pirateland (here right now) and have visited friends at the MB SP. Enjoyed a few beers at their camp, I recall a bottle of wine sitting on the picnic table during dinner. As others state, just keep it lowkey as you probably already do, you'll be fine.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
We've done that trip a few times, from Ontario.

We enjoyed Myrtle Beach SP. We also visit Huntington Beach SP and it is also very nice. If you're working your way down the coast, Scusset Beach SP is nice, so is First Landing SP (our favourite campground).

As for the no alcohol, they just don't want you walking around with a can of beer. Put it in a travel mug and you're good to go. On your own site, drink out of a glass instead of the bottle/can.

I think they have the rule so that if there's an issue, they can point to it and kick you out.
I was once told by a Park Warden that exact explanation. If they have the no alcohol rule and a camper gets out of hand, it gives them greater recourse.
tnka trk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:26 PM   #11

Hey, guys, I'm going to need some hush mouth money, lol, I'm telling, lol, lol.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 05:20 AM   #12
Site Team

Depending on where you are in the park. You can hear the ocean but there are parking spots nearer also. . In the winter they allow horses also on the beach, but it never has been a problem.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 06:17 AM   #13

If you're responsible, a bev in a nice Tervis wouldn't cause a problem. I've been to "dry" CG's but hauled in my own. Didn't get wasted and start dancing on the picnic table so all was well and nobody looked they cared really. I've never seen the "alcohol police" come to the site to check your drink. Not sure that would go over well with abiding campers.

So just be cooooool!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 09:52 AM   #14

It’s not a problem As long as your not a problem
Old 01-19-2022, 08:26 AM   #15

This is great, thanks so much everyone.

We've only every camped here in Canada (my DW is a teacher, so our window has been small, plus we've only had the trailer a few years now and our plans were disrupted the last couple of years with COVID, my hip surgery in 2020 and tearing my Achilles in 2021...), and she retires this year. I can work from anywhere, so we are starting to plan a bit broader!

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Old 01-22-2022, 01:04 PM   #16

We stay at Myrtle Beach State Park twice a yr. If you need a large site with 50amp order early. If your 30amp size most likely not a problem except summer months. Beach is about 1/2 to 3/4 mile walk from most sites. However you can drive and they have plenty of parking close to the beach. As for
Alcohol my wife and I don't drink at all so I would not know. I have never seen it there, but most likely people were just being respectfull of the rule and putting it in cups. However right down the Street is Ocean Lakes Camping Resort and they do allow alcohol. LAKEWOOD AND Pirateland do not. Hope this helps.
pawags45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 01:42 PM   #17

We are currently staying at Carolina Pines RV Resort in Conway SC, just 15 mins or so outside MB. While not close to the ocean, the park is incredible-- only 3 years old, I'm told. It's a Sun Resort property, and they have a very economical winter rate (at least this year, can't speak to future.) $1,999 USD total for 90 nights, Dec 1 to Mar 1. Add another night and you pay no tax! Amenities are plentiful: indoor pool and hot tub, outdoor hot tub (usable in winter), free mini golf, concrete patios (the premium sites have concrete pads as well), etc. There's also a water park in warmer months, and courts for basketball, pickleball and other sports. It's high class and extremely economical, if winter escape is in your future. (That said, we had an ice storm overnight -- chilly! And it's supposed to drop to 20° F tonight. But these are unusually low temps, and it has been in the 60s and 70s on some days. It's pretty pricy in the warm months, but a fantastic deal for winter.
Finally Able is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 01:49 PM   #18

I've stayed at Myrtle Beach State Park several times. The only complaint I have is that the trees get in the way of the satellite signal.....
2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 03:18 PM   #19

No problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by colby View Post

Was there many times, never had a problem with alcohol, most sites are close to the beach, I prefer Huntington beach state park, Quieter.
signalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 04:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawags45 View Post
However right down the Street is Ocean Lakes Camping Resort and they do allow alcohol. LAKEWOOD AND Pirateland do not. Hope this helps.
Pirateland does allow alcohol.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote