Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-19-2020, 10:24 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GollyGwiz View Post
If Austin is an option, then McKinney Falls SP is a great place to stay. 80-90 miles to SA depending on what part of town you are going to. It is within the Austin city limits and close to the freeway to get into the city or down to San Antonio. Once you are in the park, you have no idea you are actually within the city. Have stayed there several times and always had full cell signal but on AT&T.
https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/mckinney-falls
So much for my McKinney Falls SP recommendation or any other Texas SP for that mater. Closing some of the services available on March 19th. I'd check the link on this site
https://content.govdelivery.com/acco...letins/2820e84
GollyGwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:13 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GollyGwiz View Post
So much for my McKinney Falls SP recommendation or any other Texas SP for that mater. Closing some of the services available on March 19th. I'd check the link on this site
https://content.govdelivery.com/acco...letins/2820e84
Ya, got an email about it right about the time I posted about McKinney earlier...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:33 PM   #23

Fredericksburg RV Park

I like this RV park and I love Fredericksburg. It is approx. 70 miles from San Antonio and when my wife and I stayed there the internet was pretty good. The town has my favorite museum anywhere, The Pacific War Museum which is Smithsonian quality, takes 2 days to see it properly. Enchanted Rock which is great to climb. The Old German Bakery & Restaurant has the best breakfast around. The Fredericksburg Pie Company has excellent pies. Great Texas music, German sausage, and beer. Clearly I am a fan. There are also wineries, breweries, and Luchenbach is just outside of town. Perhaps it will be my first stop of the season, I may see you there. If you want more info send me a private message.

dart
dartwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:30 PM   #24

Not exactly a where, but as mentioned you may need your own hotspot to get reliable service. Checking the service maps will help. I carry a Netgear Nighthawk M1 device with service from a company called OTRMobile (OTRMobile.com). My service has been on AT&T and been great. All accounts are getting switched to T-Mobile now. I'm in the process of getting my new sim, so haven't been switched yet.

But, the advantage of OTRMobile (there are other similar services as well, I just haven't used them and can only comment on OTRMobile.) is it's $70/month unlimited data, no contract, no reprioritization, no throttling. As long as you have good cell coverage, you'll have good speeds. But again, most will depend on your cell coverage, just like your phone.

For me it's nice because I travel for work and don't like to rely on hotel wifi. In most situations I'm able to stream TV/Movies, and do email and web browsing at the same time. I've used over 100Gb in a lot of months and never been throttled. Every once in a while it will act like I don't have internet, but if I reboot my Netgear, it works fine. Again, most of the speed comes from whether I have good cell service or not.

Right now everything is LTE, but they're supposed to be getting new devices later this year (well, that was before all this coronavirus, so timing might change) that will do the new 5G speeds.

Anyway, YMMV, but this has worked well for me. Just thought I'd throw that out there if you're going to be working on the road.

Tim
Flyingaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:56 PM   #25

I listen to an RV podcast (RV Entrepreneur) and the WiFi question is always part of the interview. One good tip I heard was that if you park on the contractor side of any of the Lowe’s stores, their WiFi is supposed to be awesome!
Kiwimg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:57 PM   #26

Private sites

I have seen many show up on Austin Craigslist under RVs+Camp.
djglover7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:47 PM   #27

Good luck in this virus environment. All natl parks camping I understand is closed with no facilities open. In Michigan all state park and overnight lodging facilities are closed with no amenities incl dump stations are closed. Pit toilets are not open but locked. Time period is thru may 1 but may be indefinite
txauditr-ret. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:01 PM   #28

Agreed, that's exactly what we do!
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:13 PM   #29

Thank you
Old 03-25-2020, 07:43 PM   #30

Kerrville-Schreiner Park is a city park originally built by COE. Since all the COE parks are closing until May 15th ,as of now, it may be a good option One side is river side, full hookups under shade trees. the other side of the highway is hilly and rocky and not used as much. Wonderful park 60 miles from san antonio
sragan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:03 PM   #31

Good state park system

Texas has an excellent state park system, and we’ve been to a pretty good percentage of the state parks. I have noticed one thing, and that is the sprint coverage map is the inverse of the Texas state park map. Stay away from Sprint. AT&T is usually excellent, as is Verizon. We carry phones on both carriers and one will usually work well at a Texas state park. There are a couple of exceptions. I would call the state park you’re interested in and ask them about the coverage. I saw somebody recommend Bastrop, and I would agree. Proximity to the highway is closer than I would like, but it’s a beautiful park with excellent cell coverage in near good services. McKinney Falls in Austin has excellent coverage as well and sits in Southeast Austin. It’s kind of an oasis. There are several good parks along I 10 but Internet coverage varies, so call the park. Also check out Corps of Engineers parks, there are quite a few reservoirs with campgrounds build by the core.I hope this helps.
wducat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:59 PM   #32

Area park advise

I've been to most of that areas State Parks and they are all beautiful. You can sort for amenities online. Once the corona virus shut downs are over, check on LCRA parks (they are closed now). They'll have sewer and are a little upgrade from the State parks, but still beautiful. LCRA have discounts for Passport America members. Good luck!
Love vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:20 PM   #33

As RetiredOne said, WeBoost! I am retired DW still works. Needs at least 3 bars of cell service for her VPN to work. I installed a WeBoost in both the truck and the 5th wheel. Works great. I keep an atlas an mark the areas that have great, okay and no service! Doesn't matter what you try if there is no service nothing will work.
LeonDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:03 PM   #34
crl

Central Texas CG

My DW and I camp in Central Texas quite often and usually stay in state parks. With the current virus issue, you really we need to check ahead to make sure the parks are open. We have stayed at the parks listed below and can highly recommend them:

McKinney State Park - Austin Texas

Inks Lake State Park - Burnett Texas (just north of Marble Falls)

Sam Hogg Recreation Area - Georgetown Texas

No WiFi at any of these unless you are at the park office, but Verizon HotSpot works well.

Good luck and be sure and confirm park status.
crl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:29 PM   #35

Which model of Weboost do you guys recommend? Thx
Old 03-26-2020, 07:51 PM   #36
crl

WeBoost Model

We got ours from Amazon. There is a model specifically for RV’s and motor homes. Comes with everything needed. It like the 4G RV or something like that. We have had ours for a while now and found it to work really well.
crl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:04 PM   #37
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycophil View Post
Which model of Weboost do you guys recommend? Thx
This is what I put in. I started with the regular Drive Sleek with the small shark fin antenna, then bought the OTR antenna after the first outing, to increase gain. I mounted the antenna on my fridge vent on the roof.

Mount one phone in the cradle, and everyone can hotspot off of it.

https://www.weboost.com/products/drive-sleek-otr
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 04:35 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartwest View Post
I like this RV park and I love Fredericksburg. It is approx. 70 miles from San Antonio and when my wife and I stayed there the internet was pretty good. The town has my favorite museum anywhere, The Pacific War Museum which is Smithsonian quality, takes 2 days to see it properly. Enchanted Rock which is great to climb. The Old German Bakery & Restaurant has the best breakfast around. The Fredericksburg Pie Company has excellent pies. Great Texas music, German sausage, and beer. Clearly I am a fan. There are also wineries, breweries, and Luchenbach is just outside of town. Perhaps it will be my first stop of the season, I may see you there. If you want more info send me a private message.

dart
Oh thanks a lot, now I need to plan another visit own there! You just reminded me of why we love Fredericksburg...
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 04:39 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
This is what I put in. I started with the regular Drive Sleek with the small shark fin antenna, then bought the OTR antenna after the first outing, to increase gain. I mounted the antenna on my fridge vent on the roof.

Mount one phone in the cradle, and everyone can hotspot off of it.

https://www.weboost.com/products/drive-sleek-otr
Not to hijack the thread, but why is the one you use about $280 and the ones on Amazon as being specifically for an RV closer to $500?!
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 01:15 PM   #40

Keep in mind that Texas Parks have closed their campground restrooms. You are required to be self-contained. Many do not have sewer hook-ups at each site, if at any, so you would either not need to stay for long, use the dump station frequently, or marinate in your own dirt and oils for longer than some of us are usually comfortable doing so.

Also, you must pay in full prior to arrival, print out paperwork before arrival, and not need park rangers or hosts. Camp headquarters, stores, and restrooms are closed.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote