Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-31-2017, 04:23 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
I have to agree with Bassdogs here... Our trip from SLC to DFW was three LONNNNGGGGG days of driving and we tried to factor in the traffic of every town we passed thru.

We are lucky - if anyone needs to stop to pee (except me) they get to walk back to the bathroom and hold on... We stopped for three things - Fuel, Driver's bathroom and Traffic jams. This year - we are stretching the trip out to 4-days of driving, and maybe an additional stopover day or two to actually see something between Yellowstone and Texas other than pavement.
Sounds like you drive pretty much like me...there's no nonsense! We stop to use the facilities and for fuel only. I TRY to have the 2 coincide as best as I can! We pack lunches to eat in the car as well.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:41 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
I have to agree with Bassdogs here... Our trip from SLC to DFW was three LONNNNGGGGG days of driving and we tried to factor in the traffic of every town we passed thru.

We are lucky - if anyone needs to stop to pee (except me) they get to walk back to the bathroom and hold on... We stopped for three things - Fuel, Driver's bathroom and Traffic jams. This year - we are stretching the trip out to 4-days of driving, and maybe an additional stopover day or two to actually see something between Yellowstone and Texas other than pavement.
This is one of the reasons we're SERIOUSLY considering a motorhome. Since we want a diesel, we'll have to save up a couple years to be able to afford it. But I definitely look forward to not having to stop as much. Our son will be a bit older and thus more capable of self-entertainment, the fuel tank will be larger, which means fewer fuel stops, and the "facilities" will be accessible en route, so fewer potty stops.

I don't necessarily mind stopping in most scenarios though. Usually, the dog has to pee too, and I can ALWAYS use a short walk around the rig to keep my energy up. A 10-15 minute stop every couple hours does a body good.

We've got 2 multi-road-day trips coming up this year, and I feel like we have a pretty good routine with that type of traveling.

I'm still watching this thread, looking forward to trip updates!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:41 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
This is one of the reasons we're SERIOUSLY considering a motorhome. Since we want a diesel, we'll have to save up a couple years to be able to afford it. But I definitely look forward to not having to stop as much. Our son will be a bit older and thus more capable of self-entertainment, the fuel tank will be larger, which means fewer fuel stops, and the "facilities" will be accessible en route, so fewer potty stops.

I don't necessarily mind stopping in most scenarios though. Usually, the dog has to pee too, and I can ALWAYS use a short walk around the rig to keep my energy up. A 10-15 minute stop every couple hours does a body good.

We've got 2 multi-road-day trips coming up this year, and I feel like we have a pretty good routine with that type of traveling.

I'm still watching this thread, looking forward to trip updates!
I'm with you Bob on the diesel pusher or a Seneca, but that will have to wait until I get the kiddos thru college! My parents always said that if you want to have money to do the things you want to "do", don't have children. But then again, I couldn't imagine my live without them at this point!!
Old 08-01-2017, 03:34 PM   #24

We've been to YNP twice. The second time was for a week and it wasn't nearly enough.

Do you day hike? Some of the best things to see in Yellowstone are on back country trails. Get a book like Best Easy Day Hikes Yellowstone National Park to get an idea of what's easily accessible. Wear good hiking shoes, not sneakers or your feet will pay the price. Day hikes will easily fill up your time in the park.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
We've been to YNP twice. The second time was for a week and it wasn't nearly enough.

Do you day hike? Some of the best things to see in Yellowstone are on back country trails. Get a book like Best Easy Day Hikes Yellowstone National Park to get an idea of what's easily accessible. Wear good hiking shoes, not sneakers or your feet will pay the price. Day hikes will easily fill up your time in the park.
Thanks for the suggestion...I'm gonna have the DW order the book now.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:48 PM   #26

Years ago, when I drove trucks, I figured 50 MPH. It worked out very close to the times I needed and the amount of time till I got there.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:48 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
Years ago, when I drove trucks, I figured 50 MPH. It worked out very close to the times I needed and the amount of time till I got there.
That's interesting. My dad drove OTR when I was a kid. When we started traveling he told plan 2 hours for every 100 miles. It's been a very accurate way for us to plan long trips.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:43 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
I'm with you Bob on the diesel pusher or a Seneca, but that will have to wait until I get the kiddos thru college! My parents always said that if you want to have money to do the things you want to "do", don't have children. But then again, I couldn't imagine my live without them at this point!!
I can't imagine life without my boy for sure. I've never loved a bigger PITA SO MUCH! LOL!!

Yeah, we're not waiting until after college. We're talking in the next few years. 4 years would probably be ideal (A LOT of debt gets paid off around that time if not sooner, which means a big raise since we're self-employed), but likely we won't wait that long. We have a college savings plan for him, and he has his own savings account already (he's not even 3 yet), and he's definitely going to work his way through just like his mom and dad did. He's the son of 2 CPAs, so I guess that's a good thing when it comes to financial planning and budgeting! LOL!!

I've always had a philosophy on life and spending: "You can always make more money, but memories can only be made now."

Sorry to take the thread a little off track.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-02-2017, 08:45 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
That's interesting. My dad drove OTR when I was a kid. When we started traveling he told plan 2 hours for every 100 miles. It's been a very accurate way for us to plan long trips.
I've always heard 50 mph (from truckers especially), and it has pretty much proven out for us on long trips. We can do better on 3-4 hour trips, but for multiple days of driving, the 50 rule works pretty well.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 10-10-2017, 05:35 PM   #30

Unfortunately I just finished canceling all of my reservations for this trip next year. Found out today that I got a new position at work that I put in for and one of the schools that I'll have to attend will conflict with the trip. Oh well, there's always the following year. At least none of the schools that I have to attend conflict with our Disney trip in March! I'd be in BIG TROUBLE if that happened.

Thanks again for everyone's advice!
Old 10-10-2017, 06:48 PM   #31

Quote:
Let me 1st start by thanking ya'll for every word of wisdom and lesson that I've obtained from this site!

I spent yesterday planning a trip to Yellowstone & Mt. Rushmore from N. TX for summer of "18 (Yes, I know I'm an over achiever to start this early)...round trip is 2,720 miles. This will be the furtherest we've ever gone with the 5er. I'm planning to take 2 weeks to do this trip...I may be able to extend 2/3 more days if we are having a good time. Keep in mind this trip will include the DW, 2 daughters (13 & 10), and dog.

Day 1 (Approx. 431 miles; 7 hours) will take us to the Corral RV Park near Amarillo.

Day 2 (Approx. 419 miles; 6.5 hours will take us to Fort Collins North/Wellington KOA

Day 3 (Approx. 437 miles; 6.5 hours) will take us to Yellowstone Valley Inn.

Unknown how many days we will stay at Yellowstone Valley Inn??

Day 1 from Yellowstone (Approx. 384 miles; 6.5 hours) to Mt. Rushmore KOA at Palmer Gulch Resort.

Again it's unknown how many days we will stay??

Returning home:

Day 1 (Approx. 426 miles; 7 hours) Fort Kearny State Historical Park in Kearney, NE.

Day 2 (Approx. 430 miles; 6.5 hours) Twin Fountains RV Park in Oklahoma City.

Day 3 (Approx. 194 miles; 3.5 hours) HOME!

That's the plan so far. Now this is where ya'll come in. I'm seeking advice, wisdom, tips, etc.. FYI, I've already gotten some great tips just from using the search function here.

TIA!

Sounds like an awesome trip already!!

2017 NorthPoint 377RLBH
2017 F350 FX4 DRW 6.7 PSD
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGW...jCx2yKWbNHxFpQ
MadJoker TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:50 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoneys View Post
2 years ago we did a trip from Minnesota to CA and I planned it out much like you did. I figured that I would travel at 60mph and a bit of time for lunch, rest stops and refueling. My time was shot when our 3 YO daughter took an hour to eat lunch and having bad weather most of the way. I was also very happy that I had an extra 5 gallons of diesel fuel for when we couldn't find a petro station. We were loaned a book by some motohomers called "The Next Exit" and it came in very handy finding restaurants and fuel stations along the way.

Ditto on the next exit book, never leave Home without it.

2017 NorthPoint 377RLBH
Old 10-10-2017, 06:50 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadJoker TX View Post
Sounds like an awesome trip already!!

2017 NorthPoint 377RLBH
Yes, but read my last post!
Old 10-10-2017, 06:55 PM   #34

Quote:
Yes, but read my last post!

Yep, day late and a dollar short, story of my life! Sorry you had to cancel.

2017 NorthPoint 377RLBH
Old 10-11-2017, 09:13 AM   #35

Quote:
Unfortunately I just finished canceling all of my reservations for this trip next year. Found out today that I got a new position at work that I put in for and one of the schools that I'll have to attend will conflict with the trip. Oh well, there's always the following year. At least none of the schools that I have to attend conflict with our Disney trip in March! I'd be in BIG TROUBLE if that happened.

Congratulations!

And sorry.

I know the feeling of intense disappointment in the face of intense excitement. But having a positive outlook for the future is important!

I'm really looking forward to reading about your trip when it DOES happen, and best of luck with the new position!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 10-13-2017, 09:58 AM   #36

we did 16 days in YNP and the Tetons... 4 days in the Tetons out of the 16.. we split out on day 10 to Jenny Lake and all that good stuff then came back through the park on the way out.. we got lucky and saw the bear and her cubs that were around everyone was talking about... on our last day... turns out she ate a worker so that didn't end well... on one of the trails we walked earlier elephant back... I would suggest getting up early and going to the sites you want to see... don't wait till 10am... get out there at 8 at the latest... the "gypsy guide to Yellowstone park" is 5 or so dollars you can load it on your phone or tablet and it talks about the park and places to check out while you are driving and you don't need any internet connection pretty cool.

we climbed Mt. Washburn turns out we could have drove to the top.. but then we would have missed seeing sheep and deer and snow... go the 2nd week of June or so.. and be out before the 4th when it gets nuts... at least we did..

check out the geyser in the station by ol' faithful... they have times when others go off.. we saw grand geyser and chimney geyser... they go for like a 1/2 hour if you get a good one... ol' faithful can be seen anytime... check the others out they are much more exciting...

make sure you are bear proof as well.. lots of bears... and buffalo...

Have fun!! we sure did... this year we are headed to Glacier National Park... wooo hooo!
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:16 AM   #37

Quote:

Dan are you really going to have time for that trip AFTER you get your CDL class A and start driving trucks as a second job??

LOL
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote