Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-04-2018, 07:02 PM   #1

NEPA to Black Hills

I’m planning a trip out to the black hills and surrounding area from NEPA and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on route alternatives to I-80,I-90 and if anyone could recommend some campgrounds along the way. Will be traveling with a Seneca motorhome and Jeep Toad.
mbpharmd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:44 PM   #2

I just spent that last 10 minutes sending you a complete route (after logging in) but a snafu came about. Here I try all over. I-80 around Chicago (not 294, not 90). Travel straight west (Wolcott-world's largest truck stop) to 380 north to Waterloo (nice KOA). Then US-20 west via Sac City (world's largest popcorn ball) to I-29 north to Sioux Falls (beautiful). Then I-90 west via Mitchell (Corn Palace) and Wall to Big Pine CG in Custer. Then, US/state highways to Devil's Tower (and northwest SD). Back via I-90 to Murdo and south via US-83 to North Platte, NE (that is one desolate highway!!) and then I-80 home.
redenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:42 AM   #3

Redenbacher. Thanks for the info. Just what I was looking for. I was not looking forward to the I-90 around Chicago.
mbpharmd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:55 PM   #4

Don't know if you have made your trip to SD yet. A couple of suggestions: While on 90 thru SD check out the rest stop at Chamberlain and maybe Big Al's Oasis campground and/or restaurant just west of Chamberlain. Murdo Car Museum is worth the stop for a 2 hour break. In the Black Hills Sylvan Lake Campground, Blue Belle Camp Ground (stayed there last summer) or the State Game Lodge are good camp sites. Last summer I drove between Salt Lake and Minneapolis twice on I 90 and twice on I 80. STAY OFF OF 80, it is one of the worst interstates in the country. Rough, rutted road, lots of trucks, I 90 is much better. Alternate beautiful drive would be 18/385 south to Chadron, NE and take highway 20 all the way to Chicago. Eagles Rest RV Park in Chadron is a nice full hook-up campground. Enjoy the Black Hills and Devils Tower, two of our favorite travel destinations.
HJ Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote