Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-30-2011, 04:19 AM   #1

New Braunsfels, Texas

Can anyone recommend a good, family campsite in New Braunsfels, Texas? Heading that way in a couple of weeks, and want someplace family oriented, especially for younger children. My son is four years old, and while well mannered, gets bored VERY easily. Have looked at many online, but want to hear any personal experiences (Good or bad) to help me make my decision. Thanx!!!

Fair winds and happy trails...
GKopecky1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:22 AM   #2

Go to rvparks review.com and checkout reviews for the Canyon Lake area. The reviews are subjective, but you'll get an idea of what's good and what's not. I don't know when the tubing starts there, but there's lots of good eating places in New Braunfels, and it's close to San Antonio.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #3

Thumbs up

Thanks Bob, this is exactly what I'm looking for! Was online looking at a few, and they looked great, online. After reading some of the reviews, its really helping narrow our choices down. Taking everything with a grain of salt considering that what is acceptable to some is horrid to others, but when nine of ten reviews is bad, then it's pretty obvious. Thanks again, and happy trails!

Fair winds and happy trails...
GKopecky1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:36 PM   #4

GKopecky1971,

Ditto the recommendation for Canyon Lake, although I haven’t been there this season to see the drought effects on water levels. We’ve stayed at Potter’s Creek (U.S. Army COE) recreation area, which is very nice and has RV sites in the woods and on grassy peninsulas that extend out into the lake for awesome sunsets. Water/electric sites through reserveamerica.com website. If you’re a veteran, there’s also has Randolph Recreation Park at Canyon Lake or Fort Sam Houston Recreation Area (which have swim beaches and boat rentals). All of these campgrounds are along the lake’s north shore on FM 306 (I think it’s IH-35 exit 192---head west).

There are campgrounds on IH-35 near New Braunfels, but I have no personal experience with them.

Consider Schlitterbahn Water Park in New Braunfels, repeatedly voted #1 water park in the U.S. New Braunfels Smoke House is a good restaurant for German food (they smoke their own sausage) in New Braunfels right at the IH-35. Consider a side trip to historic Gruene, TX----home of famous Gruene Hall with live music, shops, restaurants, antiques.

Oh yeah, and there’s a big Camping World near New Braunfels on IH-35 (more stuff! )

2011 Jayco Jay Flight G2 32BHDS
2008 F250 SD King Ranch CC SRW 4WD 6.4PSD
Equal-i-zer 1200 WDH
higgywool is offline   Reply With Quote