Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2014, 06:31 AM   #1

New England Trip...some suggestions?

We will have 7, 10 and 13 year old kids in summer 2015, and we plan to take a 7-10 day vacation to somewhere in New England. Our intent is to make it more of a day trip vacation where we camp but spend a majority of our time going to destinations anywhere up to 2 hours of our campsite.

We are open to a wide variety of activities. We are not necessarily looking for 'nature' activities (hiking through woods), but are thinking more of sightseeing activities, tours of interesting/historic monuments. If we'd be close enough to any beaches, we'd consider that for a day.

As far as a campsite, we will want full hookup. We prefer state parks because of the space and privacy, but realizing most state parks don't have full hook-ups, we will certainly consider private, hopefully one that is not overly commercialized with bouncy houses, motorized golf carts and only 5 feet of space between us and our neighbor.

If you have any ideas of a central camping location that would give us access to the type of activities I describe above, and suggestions for specific activities, we would really appreciate it. Any part of New England is fair game for consideration.
Honda EU2000i Generator
5arnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:11 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

White mountain region of New Hampshire.
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:59 PM   #3

Bay View Campground or Normandy Farms are both nice campgrounds that are within easy reach of both Boston and Cape Cod. Haven't been there, but I've heard that Nickerson State Park is very nice, but it's a hike from there to Boston.

The Acadia Region of Maine is also a great place to visit.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:58 PM   #4

If you go to the white mountains, visit an alpine slide park, the kids will have a blast.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:30 AM   #5

X2 on the White Mountains and the Alpine Slide. It's been years but it was great fun!

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:14 AM   #6

Acadia National Park! Will be busy during the summer period, and campgrounds generally are not cheap, unless you can fit into one of the spaces in the park (book now!)
Park itself is not that big - has great scenic views, hiking, many miles of carriage trails that are flat and fantastic for biking. And then in Bar Harbor you can book a day on a lobster boat to learn about lobstering (among many other boat related excursions), as well as shops, stores and a host of other activities. With that age range, it would be just about the perfect vacation spot.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:07 AM   #7

Cape Cod CampResort & Cabins, East Falmouth MA

I reserved 7 nights at Cape Cod CampResort (www.capecampresort.com) for mid-July 2015. I requested a site that is fairly shaded and further back on their property where it's maybe a little quieter (not near the clubhouses/pools). I requested a standard site with full hook-ups.

If anyone has camped at this campground and can recommend a specific site that meets my description above, I'd be interested in knowing the number as I can request it (no guarantees I'll get it though).

It seems that this is an ideal location for attractions (and bike trails) in Cape Cod, and to make a day trips to Boston and Providence, RI.

Any suggestions for must see places in that region or a specific campsite would be appreciated.
Honda EU2000i Generator
5arnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:52 PM   #8

We did several blog posts for the Jayco Journal about New England this summer....We reviewed campgrounds and activities in New Hampshire, Cape Cod, and Acadia National Park. Please check out our work:

blog.jayco.com
livelylittlecampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:54 AM   #9

5arnolds I prefer state parks also for the same reason but one CG that we did stay at that didn't have all that private CG shenanigans was the Lost River Campground. Full hook ups,wooded and a camp store. No golf carts,seasonals etc..... The campground is close to most of the attractions that the kids will enjoy along with a lot of enjoyment for adults.We spent a week there and had a great time.We are planning on returning next year.

Adk Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:31 AM   #10

Unhappy Boston Minuteman was Great!

It's about a 90 minute trip to Downtown Boston. It's a nice wooded park, and our site was very Private with a Great Firepit (#88 I think ;-). The CG is fairly central for a bunch of different places to visit. We enjoyed Salem (60 minutes away), so much so we're going back there next year for a visit.

Cape Cod is nice for a few days as well. We stayed at Peter's Pond in Sandwich. It's really nice but full of Seasonals there, and all of they have Golf Carts. If you stay in Cape Cod, warning it is a bit of a pain getting on and off of it. Going to Provincetown, takes 2-3 times longer than it should. Coming back from Provincetown is just as bad.

Best activity I would recommend would be the Boston Tea Party Museum. Buy your tickets online you'll get a better price. Very interactive and informative. Also, if your a Tea drinker, buy some of the Tea in the Gift shop, my Wife wishes she had bought more
Old 10-16-2014, 11:41 AM   #11
Lost in the Woods

we stayed at the minuteman on our way back from PA. It is a perfect CG
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:53 AM   #12

Just a thought, you might want to split 5 days in the Boston Area at a place like Boston Minuteman and then White Mountains or Acadia. Boston Minuteman is within striking distance of so many sights although personally after 5 days, I'm ready to move on to the next region. I've noticed quite a few sights around the White Mountains region but admittedly its a destination for great hiking in the summer. Not far are Ben and Jerrys, Quarryville, Quechee Gorge, short rail excursion, and much more. Enjoy.
Cyranose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:15 AM   #13

Womputuk in Hingham MA is a wonderful state campground. Easy commute to Boston. Think there is actually a water shuttle into Boston.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:05 AM   #14

Bar Harbor / Acadia National Park. Try Hadley Point Campground !!!! Family owned and operated. Hands down the best place to camp in the area !!!
2012 Jayco Skylark (SOLD)
adaigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetylady View Post
Womputuk in Hingham MA is a wonderful state campground. Easy commute to Boston. Think there is actually a water shuttle into Boston.
Yes Wompatuck State Park is a great campground close to Boston (about 15 miles south).
Three miles from the park you can catch a bus to Quincy then get on the red line right into Boston.
There is now a commuter rail train that goes right into south station that is close to everything too (three miles away).
Then at the shipyard in Hingham there is a commuter boat that runs a lot during the week then less frequently on weekends. The boat brings you right within walking distance of everything you'd want to see in Boston (like the freedom trail).
You can catch a boat to the Boston Harbor Islands too if you like history tours and great views.
The park is about an hours car ride away from Cape Cod.
Last year Wompatuck was $15 a night with electric on site and water on the roads. Plenty of room and privacy and it's mostly quiet too.
Reese SC Weight Distrubition with sway control (12,000lb)
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote