Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Camping and RV'ing > Campgrounds and Attractions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2012, 07:17 AM   #1

New Florida RV Park has only 54 sites revenue 2012 1 million

http://www.rvbusiness.com/2012/03/am...valing-hotels/

Amenities at Florida Resort Parks Rivaling Hotels

Dale and Cheryl Lesh have their next two years of vacations planned and booked, according to a report in the Northwest Florida Daily News.

“We have our eyes on a particular site,” Cheryl said while lounging at the pool at Florida’s Destin West RV Resort situated on Okaloosa Island. “We love it. It’s quiet, the location’s great. We’re recommending it to friends.”

The RV park opened March 9 and has been registering a steady of flow of guests, from those with reservations to visitors who just pull in off U.S. Highway 98.

It took two years to build the park, and now it offers guests everything from a heated pool to all the amenities offered at Ramada Plaza Beach Resort across the highway.

“In this market and this economy, I could not think of anything else for this property,” said Tripp Tolbert, who owns the RV park and the Ramada. “You can’t borrow money on raw land, so I thought this would be a great way to create steady revenues.”

Tolbert’s RV park is one two that have opened recently. St. Rosa Sound RV Resort in Navarre also opened March 9 with more than 80 sites, 24 of which sit along the water.

“This year will be good. Next year will be better,” said manager Jinks Dupre. “Navarre is the best kept secret in the world, so who wouldn’t want to stay right by the beautiful water. Every RV park around here has had a ‘no vacancy’ sign hanging for months.”

Dupre said her park initially was met with some criticism on whether the view of the water would be blocked, but cleaning up the foliage improved the view, she said. The site has a pool, fitness center and laundry. It does not allow popup campers or tents.

On Okaloosa Island, Destin West features 54 RV sites, each has a picnic table and patio. The park also has a laundry room, pool and a shop with camping gear and Destin West T-shirts.

“The response has been wonderful,” said Joe Guidry, general manager of the Ramada and Destin West. “We’ve got a lot of snowbirds and families coming here for that quiet atmosphere we have.”

The park has bookings scheduled for the next two months and its projected revenue for 2012 is about $1 million.

Mary Juergens has been traveling in her RV for the past 10 years. She said that Destin West gets five stars from her.

“I love the area, it’s so nice being by the bay,” said Juergens, of St. Cloud, Minn. “To me, the top three things a good RV park needs is laundry facility, pool and sites that are paved.

“This place has all that, plus a friendly staff.”

Tolbert said he expects to have a steady flow of visitors this summer, and plans to continue to build around the area.

“I’m trying to create a destination site on Okaloosa Island,” Tolbert said. “I want people to be able to come here and not have to get back in their cars until they leave. We want everything they need to be right here.”
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:30 AM   #2

Sounds like a nice spot. Have you already booked your stay, Rod?

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:32 AM   #3

No Mike I have not. I do love going to florida but I think the price of this park will keep me out.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #4

Henderson Beach SP-Destin

We were in Destin last summer at Henderson Beach State Park. Hands down this was one of the nicest parks I've been to. The beach is beautiful, the park is just the same. Nice, clean and affordable, great location. We're headed back this summer. There are some other state parks close by, Topsail is one of those.
pardners55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodro123 View Post
No Mike I have not. I do love going to florida but I think the price of this park will keep me out.
Another thing that may keep you out is your camper....They only allow Class A, Class C, and 5th wheels. As much as I respect an owners choice to accept what they want, IMO a TT that may be a bumper pull can be alot nicer than some of the 5ers we have all seen at various parks.

I looked at this park as a possible for my next trip, but after noticing the restrictions, decided on Emerald Beach RV park in Navarre, just slightly west of this location. Will post a review once we return.
imaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:55 AM   #6

Well, that there is enough reason for me to drop this one from my potential list of places to stay. Thanks

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:36 AM   #7

do the math... if this story is right he charges $1543.21 A NIGHT.... (54 sites been open for 90 days)
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:42 AM   #8

WE have camped at Top Sail State Park in Destin. It was the most beautiful beaches we have seen. The park was clean and the prices right.
Grunge Grown Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #9

Maybe they should have an age restriction instead of a class restriction...maybe something like nothing over 5 years old.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaynard View Post
Another thing that may keep you out is your camper....They only allow Class A, Class C, and 5th wheels. As much as I respect an owners choice to accept what they want, IMO a TT that may be a bumper pull can be alot nicer than some of the 5ers we have all seen at various parks.

I looked at this park as a possible for my next trip, but after noticing the restrictions, decided on Emerald Beach RV park in Navarre, just slightly west of this location. Will post a review once we return.
Well folks, I stand corrected. This past week, we were in Florida and stopped by Destin West. I pulled up and to my amazement, they were full of bumper pull campers. So, I asked about it. Seems that the permit that was issued to the park from the county official was only written for RV's such as A's, C's, and 5ers. But, they have allowed bumper pull campers to stay there. The county inspector has come out numerous times and inspected the campers on the location, and has no problem with what they have seen. They (Destin West) just can't advertise it. But the girl did say that they have had to ask 2 different campers to leave....1 was an older pop up and the other was (I am not sure what you call it) one of those add ons that fits in the back of a pickup truck. We actually liked the sites, they were pretty spacious and well maintained from what we could tell, and we are seriously thinking about booking there next year. There are tons of things within a short distance to keep the kids (and adults) occupied.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:29 AM   #11

By the way, the other park mentioned in the original post, St. Rosa Sound in Navarre - we actually left our site at Emerald Beach RV park (losing our money in the process) to move to St. Rosa Sound. Was hands down worth losing the $180 or so. Will post pictures and review on new thread.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:33 AM   #12

imaynard,

Look forward to your reveiw and feedback on St. Rosa Sound.

We were in the area last weekend and stopped by, picked up info at the office and drove through the park, it was nice.

We are in the area several times a year and were talking about staying there in the future.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote