Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-17-2019, 07:17 PM   #1

Niagara: Camp on Canadian side or US side?

Planning a trip to Niagara Falls this summer. I've been doing a lot of research and my head is spinning! Trying to figure out if it's better to camp in Canada or US?

My concerns include crossing the border with the TT, and the ease of going back and forth between the US side and the Canadian side for sightseeing.

We like the outdoors and want to spend some time hiking near the falls, which appears to be better on the US side?? But, we definitely want to spend some time in Canada as well. The Canadian campgrounds that I'm considering are Jordan Valley Campground or Campark. We don't care for all the bells and whistles of a resort campground since we never spend much time at the campground itself. But we do prefer full hookup sites with ample room for our TT and our long tow vehicle. We usually avoid KOAs and the Branches of Niagara Campground in NY is out of our price range. Looking to go end of June or end of August for about 4 nights (Sun-Thurs). Any advice?

2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE
2018 Ford F250, crew cab, 8' bed
Family of 5 (kids ages 13, 11, 9)
adinack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:27 PM   #2

We alwsys stayed on the Can side. Never had a reason to go back and forth.

Scotts Family C.G.

https://www.campingatscotts.com
Old 03-17-2019, 07:42 PM   #3

Four Mile Creek is a NYS Campground in Youngstown NY, about 8 miles north of Niagara Falls. They have plenty of campsites and is close to Fort Niagara State Park which is fantastic if you are a history buff. I am not sure if they have any full hookup sites but they have water supply near each campsite plus a dump station.The Lewiston/Queenston bridge to Canada is just minutes away. A full supermarket and nice restaurants in the Village of Lewiston and some very nice ones right in Youngstown as well.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE MEEKER View Post
Four Mile Creek is a NYS Campground in Youngstown NY, about 8 miles north of Niagara Falls. They have plenty of campsites and is close to Fort Niagara State Park which is fantastic if you are a history buff. I am not sure if they have any full hookup sites but they have water supply near each campsite plus a dump station.The Lewiston/Queenston bridge to Canada is just minutes away. A full supermarket and nice restaurants in the Village of Lewiston and some very nice ones right in Youngstown as well.

Agreed. I live in Niagara and I won't camp at Jordan Valley.

Your best bet is Four Mile Creek State Park. Camp in the 200 loop, all the sites are 30 amp. There is potable water every 10 sites or so and a good dumping station.

The 100 series sites are pretty close together, the 300 series are non-electric.

The campground is an easy 20 minute drive down a 4 lane parkway to Niagara Falls. The parkway is so quiet, weeds grow in the cracks.

Crossing the border at Lewiston/Queenston or at the Rainbow Bridge in NF are both easy options. They both cost $3.75 to cross. Have your passports ready and no guns

The Canadian views of the Falls are nicer. There are trails on both sides. The Canadian side has more attractions like Journey behind the falls, cable car, helicopter tours. You can go on jet boats on either side as well as take a boat ride up to the falls with either maid of the mist or Hornblower cruises. The Skylon tower on the Canadian side is fun to go up as well.

Any questions, just ask!
Old 03-18-2019, 04:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
snip...

The Canadian views of the Falls are nicer. There are trails on both sides. The Canadian side has more attractions like Journey behind the falls, cable car, helicopter tours. You can go on jet boats on either side as well as take a boat ride up to the falls with either maid of the mist or Hornblower cruises. The Skylon tower on the Canadian side is fun to go up as well.

Any questions, just ask!

Agreed. We used to live in Michigan and have visited the Falls about 4 times. BUT we've never seen the Falls from the US side; always on the Canadian side.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:42 PM   #6

[QUOTE=Quantum;737195]Agreed. I live in Niagara and I won't camp at Jordan Valley.

Why not Jordan Valley? Is there something wrong with it or just far from NF? I actually just called and made reservations there since I had read good reviews and they are cheaper and take my Good Sam discount.

Four Mile Island is not an option for us. Our gray tank is so small that one evening of showers for my family of 5 fills it completely, which means unhooking every day for dump station (not gonna happen), so we need the Sewer hookup.

2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE
2018 Ford F250, crew cab, 8' bed
Family of 5 (kids ages 13, 11, 9)
adinack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:24 PM   #7

I live near Niagara Falls. Crossing the border with your rig doesn't present any real problems other than the inevitable traffic at certain times.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:06 PM   #8

x2 on Four Mile Creek park, really easy and traffic free straight to the falls area.

You also get (unless they changed the rules) free paring at the falls with proof of camping.

Lots of trails at the Falls on the US side but not very long. Lots of places to shop and eat at near Four Mile. Way more spacious than any KOA I ever went to.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:37 PM   #9

[QUOTE=adinack74;737202]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Agreed. I live in Niagara and I won't camp at Jordan Valley.

Why not Jordan Valley? Is there something wrong with it or just far from NF? I actually just called and made reservations there since I had read good reviews and they are cheaper and take my Good Sam discount.

Four Mile Island is not an option for us. Our gray tank is so small that one evening of showers for my family of 5 fills it completely, which means unhooking every day for dump station (not gonna happen), so we need the Sewer hookup.

It's your typical private campground, trailers fairly close together, not overly scenic area.

Four Mile is on Lake Ontario, beautiful sunsets, spacious sites (in the 200 and 300 series loops). I live on the Ontario side, but I camp on the US side.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:55 PM   #10

Four Mile has showers.. We have a small grey tank too and its imperative we use the campground showers where available

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:31 PM   #11

You’re in my neck of the woods. I sort of agree with Quantum about Jordan Valley.
I’ve never been there, so I don’t really know. As I say that...I would never go there either.
I’m like 15 mins away..you could park on my yard. Lol.
Jordan isn’t really that close to Falls, but it’s an easy drive to get there.
If you are into winery tours, you are in the right spot though. Award winning wineries are all around the Jordan area. That’s about all there is to do there.
If you plan on going to Toronto as well, then your in a good spot. Don’t try to drive your long box to Toronto though, you’ll never park it. The GO train would be a fun way to go with the family.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote