Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-16-2014, 07:49 PM   #1

Niagra Falls

We are talking about a family vacation to Niagra Falls,....any good campground recomendations?
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:24 PM   #2

We have stayed at the KOA on the Ontario, right in Niagara Falls twice, many years ago and then 2012 with our daughter, son in law and granddaughter. It is clean, pool, security gate, quiet and very accessible. We have also stayed at Sherkston Shores, on the Ontario side, about 20 minutes away. There is a lot of bicycle paths to surrounding towns. It is a very large place, lots of campsites, with a small water park, pools and a quarry for swimming. You could walk or pedal everywhere. There is also a long beach in the park on Lake Erie. Lots of jet skis and people.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:55 PM   #3

We live in Niagara on the Canadian side. Are you planning to stay on the Canadian or U.S. side of the Falls?
tnka trk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:36 AM   #4

On the US side we stayed at Four Mile Creek State Park. It is a nice park and your entrance fees allow you to get into several other state parks. If you get a chance visit Fort Niagara. We really enjoyed it. Have fun.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:32 AM   #5

We have stayed a few times at the KOA Niagara on the Canadian side. We go there in April when they first open for the season. The outdoor pool is still winterized, but they have an indoor pool and hot tub, which we make good use of in the cooler weather of April. Very nice facilities there. They can accommodate any size rig. I could see it would be a busy place in mid-summer. It is just on the edge of town, and a short drive to the falls and all the attractions there.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:09 AM   #6

Another recommendation for 4 mile creek state park along with the trip to Old Fort Niagara.

If you have younger kids, I also would recommended Branches of Niagara (http://www.branchesofniagara.com) on Grand Island. We go here twice a year. They have Zip Lines.

Kris
LkptRvPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:19 AM   #7

CG just a few miles north of the falls on the us side. Nice CG but primarily there for visits to the FAlls. Sites right on the lake. Easy drive back to the St Park at the falls. Get a passport if you want to visit the Canadian side. Falls park is very nice. Keep the little ones and the dog well back from the falls. You can walk right up to [you could spit into the edge of the falls] so be careful. Didn't do the ferry ride up to the falls, but the walk down to the loading ramp is well worth the time.

The town on the US side is a total dump. Right outside the park, it seems almost everything is closed or vacant. What's that all about??
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:08 PM   #8

Realize I'm biased, but the Canadian side is far better in all ways.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:42 PM   #9

Love the Canadian side. We stay at Scotty's RV Resort.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:37 PM   #10

I lived in Niagara on the Lake, and we go to Four Mile Creek State Park regularly. It is 20 minutes from the Falls. The state park has reasonable rates, and the sites are nice and spacious. Your park fee will also get you into Fort Niagara (free parking) and Goat Island at the Falls (free parking). It is easy to cross the border and come into Canada. Just look up the border wait times on your smart phone before you decide which bridge you should take. Certain times of the day the one or another of the bridges can really backup.

Definitely check out the Falls from the Canadian side, the views are spectacular.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:34 PM   #11

We stayed at the Grand Island KOA in NY. It was fantastic! The place was very clean and the staff went out of their way to be helpful and accommodating. The tour buses picked us up and dropped us off at our campsite! There are plenty of things to do, there is even an amusement park right next to the campground. Down the street is a neat antique shop that sells all kinds of penny candy and chocolates. Grocery stores within a mile and all kinds of places to eat on Grand Island. If memory serves me right, the Falls are six miles away.

Fred
Bird Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:51 PM   #12

I am not sure what side we will stay in....we are from MN so might be a little bit more of a hassle crossing the border to get to the canadian side.....How are the lines going through customs?
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:49 PM   #13

In general, with the border crossings, mornings are best. We always try to time it so we cross before 10 am. Doing this, never had to wait more than about 20 minutes. Usually only 5 or 10 minutes. Worst time to cross, is a Friday late afternoon and into mid-evening. One time had to wait 2 hours. Then we learned our lesson. We some times camp near the border so the next morning we cross.
On edit: If you're coming from MN, crossing at Port Huron, Michigan would be your best bet.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:49 AM   #14

There is a great new site on Grand Island. Lots for kids to do, zip lines, has a small lake for kayaking. Its called Branches. Privately owned, immaculate grounds. Average costs for full hookups.
http://www.branchesofniagara.com
smacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:50 PM   #15

All right, I'll do it . . .
NIAGRA FALLS!
Slowly I turned,
step-by-step,
inch-by-inch . . .

(I'm surprised Crabman or Eagle didn't beat me to it!)
Old 02-23-2014, 09:13 PM   #16

There is a very nice campground on Grand Island New York, called Branches. It 's about 10 miles too the falls park. It's a fairly new well run quiet, safe, campground.
JaycoBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:44 PM   #17

And when you type your destination into your GPS, use Niagara Falls
Old 02-24-2014, 10:25 AM   #18

We thought about staying on the Canadian side, but didn't want the hassle of having to take the 5er through customs. It was very easy to go back and forth in a car and the passport card made it even quicker.
Bird Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:25 AM   #19

We are planning a trip to Niagra this summer and Four Mile Creek State Park looked really nice, are there any camp sites you'd recommend before I book?
And also I guess any must sees while we are there, thanks!
Irks73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacdonald View Post
There is a great new site on Grand Island. Lots for kids to do, zip lines, has a small lake for kayaking. Its called Branches. Privately owned, immaculate grounds. Average costs for full hookups.
http://www.branchesofniagara.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoBud View Post
There is a very nice campground on Grand Island New York, called Branches. It 's about 10 miles too the falls park. It's a fairly new well run quiet, safe, campground.
I have reservations for this summer at Branches. I am glad I saw people were saying good things about it here as well as other websites when I made the reservations. It is about $73 per night for my 35ft travel trailer.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote