Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #1

Nova Scotia CG's

We are planning on going to Nova Scotia this summer (2014). Can anyone recommend dog friendly CG's. Also what documentation required to transport a dog from the U.S. to Canada and back.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #2

Nova Scotia is awesome. The Province does put out a fairly good tourism book every year that I am sure you could request of their website. Sorry I can't help out on directing you towards dog friendly campgrounds but feel free to ask me any other Nova Scotia questions! You can almost see my house when you drive into the province.
232,500 kms in 2013
200,000 kms in 2014
160,000 kms in 2015
greenenvy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #3

We have toured N.S. a few times. The last time for 3 weeks. All the camp-grounds are dog friendly. We travel with 2. To bring them across the border you should have there inoculation records. Beware of the secondary road conditions. They are sometimes less than desirable. Check you A/C mounting fasteners, it'll give them a good shake. The province is beautiful and there are too many sights to talk about all of them. Cabot Trail, Sydney Mines (coal mine tour), Fortress Louisberg, Halifax and the Harbour Board-walk. I could go on. If you want more you can private message us. Have fun!
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #4

I concur. We spent 2 months touring the Maritime provinces when we first retired in 2005. It was a great time and really nice people. I remember one particular bridge in Campbelton, NB. Got right up to it and it said "height 4 meters". Try calculating that one in feet and inches in a hurry. Fortunately we made it through but it made me aware to really watch for bridge hts. when your dealing in metric and aren't real familiar with it.
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenenvy1 View Post
Nova Scotia is awesome. The Province does put out a fairly good tourism book every year that I am sure you could request of their website. Sorry I can't help out on directing you towards dog friendly campgrounds but feel free to ask me any other Nova Scotia questions! You can almost see my house when you drive into the province.
Yes, Nova Scotia seems to have a very nice tourism book... but the copy they sent us is in French. We've reordered and made sure it is for the English version.

BTW, the more we've looked into our trip to the Maritimes this year, the more comfortable I am that towing a trailer and finding places to spend the nights will not be a problem. The last time we drove the Cabot Trail etc., we drove a converted van. This will be our first trip on it pulling a TT.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:01 PM   #6

http://brasdorlakescampground.ca Closest CG to Baddeck and the Cabot Trail. Needs some updating but very reasonable price and great location. Stayed 2 nights last summer. We also stayed in a private CG 45 minutes outside of Halifax called King Neptune which is located 2 minutes from Peggy's Cove. This was a hidden gem and the owners were excellent. It is a very basic CG but prob one of our favourite on the trip. The owners had an evening of crab catching off the Warf for the kids which they just loved. The close proximity from Peggy's Cove was a bonus as we could go back each evening to watch the sunset or just walk around on the rocks. A lobster pound is located right next door so you can get fresh cooked lobster to bring back to the TT. Paid a visit to Chester and the famous Oak Island which was a short drive as well. The East Coast was an amazing adventure and this summer we are heading to the West Coast for a month. Looking forward to another summer of camping.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:45 PM   #7

A few parks I would recommend are:
Blomidon Provincial Park, Canning, NS. Above Bay of Fundy where tide fluxuates +/- 40'.
It's dry camping but cool place. Site #74 on top of hill overlooking bay (can be windy).
Baddeck Cabot Trail CG, Baddeck, NS. Best part of this place was the Bald Eagle landing in a tree just outside the RV. If you go, don't miss Alexander Graham Bell Museum.
Broadcove CG (Park Canada) at Cape Breton Highlands NP. Roads getting there from Baddeck are really bad but Cabot trail is a must...bring the hiking boots!
Birchwood CG, Pictou, NS. This is an o.k. CG with great owners. Stay here if you are taking the ferry to PEI.
Got to take your pet's shot records and keep the dog food in the original bag (to show ingredients). We did all the "stuff" they required but they never asked to see anything.
Have fun! Took this trip last Spring/Summer and it was fantastic. Kinda cold and lots of black flies.
Forgot to add; There's a small restaurant in Neil's Harbor (on top of hill overlooking the water) that has fantastic Lobster Rolls. Neil's Harbor isn't that large so it's easy to find

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL1967 View Post
...snip...
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
...snip...
Thank you, both!

We aren't sure of the specifics of this trip (other than it will be late summer & fall), but having information like this is really helpful.

This will be our first trip that will not be all planned (where to fuel, where to sleep, etc.) before we leave the driveway. Now we'll have the ability to be spontaneous in our travels; exciting and a bit scary all at the same time.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:35 PM   #9

Been to NS, can't add to what's been said about this beautiful place. Check if you can take the ferry back to Portland, Maine it will save you a whole bunch of time.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote