Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-06-2014, 09:15 AM   #1

Cool NY to Myrtle Beach SC

Need some help going down to Myrtle. I'm looking for a spot to stay over night some where in VA right off 95. Any ideas? trying to break up the trip. If you have done the trip do you take 95 straight down or any other good ideas.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:06 AM   #2

Hello licamp,

Probably not much help for you, but I drove Buffalo NY to Myrtle Beach last year. On a separate trip, I also did Buffalo to OBX. What we did was left late the night before, drove 5 hours and stopped overnight in Pittsburgh (One trip Flying J's and other Cracker Barrel). Both trips, we took the 81 and cut over, just to miss the DC beltway, which I hear is a nightmare and I won't drive it in an RV.
For the Myrtle beach trip, I think we planned another Flying J's overnight in Florance off the 95. However, we made good time and decided to drive directly to Myrtle Beach. Arrived at 11pm or so. There is a Cracker Barrel on N. Kings Dr that we stayed overnight. Had a nice breakfast and got to our destination bright and early in the morning.
Kris
LkptRvPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:35 PM   #3

We wallydocked at this location in Fredericksburg, Va last Oct. It was less than 5 minutes off of I-95. Excellent overnight stop if you don't mind wallydocking. There are several restuarants and a Krispy Kreme donught store right across the street. Here's the address and phone#:

Walmart Supercenter
1800 Carl D Silver Pkwy, Fredericksburg, VA

Ph# ‎ (540) 786-2090
Old 03-06-2014, 02:05 PM   #4

Depends in time of day, day of the week and holiday or non holiday weekend. I have sat on 95 for hours in any number of spots for any number of reasons. If it's spring break week and your thinking of leaving on Friday afternoon then pack a dinner and expect to add 3+ hrs to any location south of NJ. Been there done that and never again! There are a few ways you can go and it all depends on what your time frame is.

1. A straight shot is going to take 13+ hrs with traffic added over and above this. The 13+ hrs will include some rest/fuel stops.
2. 95 can make or break a man. DC is a mess with the expansion going on south of the city. The west 495 bypass is curvy and can be a bottle neck certain times of the day. I stay east when passing through there.
3. There is a KOA just south of Fredericksburg, VA around King's Dominion that is right off 95. Have not stayed there so cannot speak on the CG. For an overnight secure stop should suffice. I don't know of many between Baltimore and DC that are easy on and off other than a parking lot for a major retailer of the camper friendly type.
There is a Pilot rest stop in southern VA off 95 just after Richmond too(cheap fuel) Pilot card makes it even less.
4. The other route is longer but much more scenic going down through the Delmarva area and over the CBBTunnel into Norfolk. Numerous CG areas to stop in Ocean City, southern MD and VA. There are areas of traffic lights along this route but never any traffic except in Norfolk when coming off the CBBT. If you go this way I would go back to 95 after Norfolk as 17 south of here is rural and not a great road for towing on.

If you cross the GWB by 5AM then it will be a heck of a lot easier on you. That would put you in Baltimore around 9AM and DC just before 11AM. A long rest stop in DE would help on the timing to get in and out of the there just after rush hour (cheap fuel). Middle of the night can be hit or miss too with many shutdowns for construction taking place. Make sure your EZ pass is up to date and go through cash lanes pulling as you might get a violation in some states. If you get the blue ez pass ahead of time then you can go through any lane including express.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:50 PM   #5

When my parents came down they would stop at Prince William Campground in VA, it is right off 95. They were all pull through sites and they let you stay connected to you tow vehicle, as 90% of the campers there are doing just that, stopping for the night and heading out at first light.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:08 PM   #6

I guess I should have added that I plan on leaving early Sat morning. I have to do my research on the route. Last trip down to VA I didn't plan it out went through the tunnel. Opps!!! I was figuring it would take about 15 hours but 13 sounds a lot better. Not sure I can convince the wife to sleep in a parking lot, but I'm for it. But then again I'm for driving straight to Myrtle.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:21 PM   #7

Hurry up and get here before the decent weekend weather goes away (again )
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:26 PM   #8

One suggestion as to Myrtle Beach, don't arrive on a Saturday or Sunday, and don't leave on those days as well. Traffic becomes a real mess shortly after exiting 95 on the way in, and 501 is a real mess on the way out. I sometimes drive on down to Charleston and come up 17. I know this has nothing to do with the question you asked. But I thought it was good info.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:36 AM   #9

This campground is righ off 95 in Ashland va less than 5 minutes to bass pro which has a resturaunt and usually in a car takes 6-7hours to myrtle beach from this point. They have recently remodeled the campground and looks like all level sites. This is probably your halfway point and there is plenty to eat and do within a 5 minute drive.

http://www.americamps.com/

Any questions about the area send me a message!
Ryetye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:46 AM   #10

Before we Traveled from Ny to Disney I downloaded the I-95 campgraoung guide. It listed cg's within 5 miles off I-95. We stayed one night in a cg in southern Virginia, I believe it was named South Point. I
We left at 4am and also went through the tunnel, made 2 stops for fuel and bathroom breaks as well as stopped for breakfast. It was our first long trip with the new TT and I traveled 55-60mph. We pulled in to the cg around 3pm that day.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #11

Talking

Thanks for all the help I really like that I95 guide. Does anybody belong to Good Sam and use their trip planner program with the RV routes?
Old 03-16-2014, 04:08 AM   #12

Just joined good sam and have used the trip planner to print out ipcoming trips!
"we do it in black pots"
Ryetye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:24 AM   #13

I've used both the 2012 and new on-line version and like both. IMO they are easy to use and provide more detail about campgrounds, points of interest, etc. than some of the other programs out there.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote