Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Ohio to California 4/2013 - 6/2013. A few questions along the way

Hey guys,
We're planning out our trip from Cincinnati, Ohio to CA coast for next April.
We should be along the California Coast by May.
We're pretty good along the way, except I have a few questions.
I searched the Forums, but didn't come up with anything.
We like to stay somewhere with full hook-ups and then travel to sightsee. We also have a dog, so usually stay in private CG's

1. Between Sedona, Az to Santa Monica, CA we need to stop around Indio, Ca. I see Shadow Hill RV Resort there. Any input or other options?

2. Going from Monterey, Ca to San Francisco: I see San Francisco RV Resort. Any input or other reco's?

I haven't finished all my searches yet, but also any quick tips for camping around Cambria, Ca and Monterey would also be appreciated.

Kind regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #2

Calif coast.... I'm guessing you are taking the 101 then hwy 1 from San Luis Obispo? Hwy 1 along the coast from SLO north is a beautiful scenic route. As is the 101 between Ventura and South of Gaviota.

If so, any stops or possible interest in c/g's along the route from Santa Monica to Cambria?

If it helps to know, non-stop from SM to Cambria pulling a tt (55 mph max towing in Calif) and through potential traffic can take upwards to six hours. Let me know the day of week you might travel and I could suggest a good time to depart SM to reduce the number of 'slow downs' you might incur.

Also, here is a good link to have while traveling anywhere (pretty much) in the So Cal area... http://www.sigalert.com/Map.asp

Hope this helps
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #3

Cambria - look up Hearst Castle

Interested in visiting a Calif Mission? There are several along your route, but one that is considered the most completely restored (La Purisima) has docent tours, visitor's center, and self tours... a neat way to learn a little about Calif early history.

If you do La Purisima, there is also Solvang which is a touristy Danish Village. In that area, there is a nice public c/g within driving distance of sights to see, but it's around $60 for full hook-ups. There is also a regional park that costs about $20 I think. A little further up the road, there's also a nicer c/g along the beach in Pismo. Also, a state park c/g down the road from that.

Another resource for you could be TripAdvisor.com where you can actually post questions about the cities/sites you are interested in and get info straight from the 'locals'.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:55 PM   #4

Although a 'shot in the dark', depending on when you think you'd be driving through Santa Barbara county, there are several missle launches scheduled throughout the year from Vandenberg AFB. This might be a good place to get some info on that... http://www.vandenberg.af.mil/

Old 12-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthi View Post
Calif coast.... I'm guessing you are taking the 101 then hwy 1 from San Luis Obispo? Hwy 1 along the coast from SLO north is a beautiful scenic route. As is the 101 between Ventura and South of Gaviota.

If so, any stops or possible interest in c/g's along the route from Santa Monica to Cambria?

If it helps to know, non-stop from SM to Cambria pulling a tt (55 mph max towing in Calif) and through potential traffic can take upwards to six hours. Let me know the day of week you might travel and I could suggest a good time to depart SM to reduce the number of 'slow downs' you might incur.

Also, here is a good link to have while traveling anywhere (pretty much) in the So Cal area... http://www.sigalert.com/Map.asp

Hope this helps
Thanks Healthi,
I haven't gotten it nailed down to the day yet, but will send you a PM when I do.

"If so, any stops or possible interest in c/g's along the route from Santa Monica to Cambria?" Yes, would be very interested.

"I'm guessing you are taking the 101 then hwy 1 from San Luis Obispo." Yes, this is correct.

We're basically coming into CA and picking up the coast at Santa Monica and stay around Santa Barbara for a few days.
Then to Cambria for 5 days.
Then to Monterey for 3 days.
Then to San Francisco for 3 days
Then back track a little to Sequia for 4 days
Then Yosemite for 4 days
Then to Tahoe for 4 days as we start heading back East.

Trying to identify some good CG's to stay at so we can make reservations.
I am searching websites and always appreciate 1st hand recommendations.

Thanks for all the information. Hopefully people will add some of their recommendations for CG's in the next few weeks.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 12-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #6

Doug, stop by Phoenix and pick Marilyn and I up. You are going to have a wonderful trip
muelldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds good Richard.
This is going to take a lot of planning lol. I hope we have good luck picking CG's that are nice and safe.

If we pass through Phoenix, I'll look you up.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 12-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #8

If you haven't already you really need to start making reservation now for our more popular spots. I already have reservations at our costal CG for May and June...these fill up fast. For CA State Parks and most RV Resorts June stated booking 12/1. And Yosemite, that is very competitive, Yosemitee for arruival 4/15/13-5/15/13 open up on Saturday 12/15...if you plan to stay in the park you need to book then.

Another suggestion, I would rearrange your trip a little and head from Cambria to Sequoia/Kings Canyon/Yosemittee, then head back over to Monterey up to SF and out to Tahoe. It will be a lot less back tracking, and unless you planned to drive up Highway 1 (not recommended) you don't see a whole lot of things up 101 between Paso Robles and Salinas/Monterey. If Big Sur is on your agenda, that is easliy accessable from Monterey as it is only about 25 miles south on Highway 1.

My suggestions, mostly state parks becasue that is what we prefer...

Santa Barabara Area....El Capitan State Park or Carpenteria State Park
Pismo/SLO...Pismo Coast Village
Cambria...San Simeon State Park
Monterey ... well we prefer to stay north in Aptos @ Seacliff State Park, Capitola @ New Brighton State Park or Santa Cruz @ Smithwoods RV Park in that order
San Francisco ... I lived in SF & San Jose for years so we never camped in/near SF, but have heard great things about Olema RV Campground on the Marin Headlands and Half Moon Bay SB...I also understand there is a RV Resort in Pacifica called SF RV Resort, mixed reviews from friends and family.
Tahoe...Nevada Beach is the only place we have stayed -- Dry Camping only. We have used the dumpstation @ Zypher Cover RV Resort, it looked nice but spaces are close and not lake front. If we didn't have kids we would consider staying here but you have to walk a bit to the lake, that is why we went with out amenities and stayed at Nevada Beach, it is lake front.

If I can answer any specific questions let me know.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #9

Oh, if you have time and just want a nice sierra nevada campground with hookups, check out Camp Edison on Shaver Lake or Wishon RV Resort. Between Yosemite NP and Sequoia/Kings Canyon NP there is the Sierra National Forrest. This is where most of our summer camping happens and Camp Edison and Wishon RV are our two favorites when we want amenities. They make great destinations spots or base camp for exploring all different lakes, trails, creeks in the area.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #10

"I Can't Drive 55" --- You better!

Sounds like a great trip. Have fun.
In case this is your first visit to California,
be sure to drive 55mph if you are in any towing configuration.
We see lots of RVers pulled over because of this.
California is large, so plan for the extra time (at 55 mph).
Jungkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #11

Welcome to this forum. Just wanted to say hey to a fellow Ohioian. Born and raised north of Cincinnati in the "then" small town of Springdale. And, even though I have lived in Southern California since 1977, I remain a Buckeye. In reviewing the responses to your inquiry, I too, would say get your reservations as quickly as possible. I also second the reminder about staying at 55MPH. Any vehicle towing another vehicle is limited to 55 in our entire state so give yourself time. You will have a fantastic trip. Stay safe and happy travels. Charlene
Charlene is offline   Reply With Quote