Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #1

Our 2013 Extended Trip

We left home base on Oct 10th and returned on Oct 20th. After 10 days, almost 20 hrs driving and 1100+ miles, The DW and I were NOT ready to come home. As a furloughed (nonessential) federal employee, I was out of work for 20 consecutive days so the timing of our trip was actually perfect. We began the planning process in February. The trip consisted of several firsts for us and the everything worked perfectly except the fishing rods!

We wallydocked (our 1st time) in Fredericksburg, Va. We saw the movie Gravity in 3D which was excellent! We got out early Friday morning and headed to Gettysburg, which the NP was closed but the tour guide did an excellent job telling the story from outside the barracades. Then it was on to Pinch Pond Campground in Manheim, Pa. Pinch Pond would be our base camp for 4 nights. While there we went to the Penn State vs Michigan in State College, Pa (our 1st time). What can I say 4 overtimes and PSU winning. The win was especially gratifying to us since our oldest son played for Appalachian State University when they beat Mich in the big house about 5 years ago. Sorry wolverine fans! Sunday was our trip to Hershey (1st). Monday we toured the Amish country and Tuesday we toured the Yeungling Brewery in Pottsville (1st).

Wednesday morning we broke camp early and headed for Annapolis, MD. We toured the Naval Academy (1st) which was very impressive!! A big THANK YOU to ALL who have served our country regardless of the Branch of Service! After the tour we headed to Stoney Creek Inn in Riviera Beach, MD for crab cakes. The DW and I are big fans of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. We had seen Stoney Creek on the show and it was a must stop on this trip. This was also a 1st for us. The crab cakes and cream of crab soup were excellent by the way. I also liked the decor! After dinner it was on to Tuckahoe SP in Queen Anne, MD. This was just an overnight stay and we rose early Thursday morning and headed towards Virginia Beach, Va for a 3 night stay.

Some friends had told us about StingRays Restuarant (1st) on HWY 13 heading south just before you cross the Cheasapeake Bay Tunnel- Bridge. Our lunch was excellent! I had the fried chicken. I believe they had my grandmother back in the kitchen. This is Crabman's home base area I do believe.

We arrived at First Landing SP in Virginia Beach mid-afternoon on Thursday. This would be the sit back and relax portion of the trip. First Landing SP (1st) did not diappoint us one bit. The only sticking points I have with this SP is I really don't like their reservation system (not site specific) and the sand spurs!

We broke camp on Sunday and arrived at home base late in the afternoon. All things considering, we both throughly enjoyed our 2013 trip. Below are a few pictures to document the trip.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gettysburg.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	10486 Click image for larger version

Name:	Tailgating is a Must.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	10487 Click image for larger version

Name:	Penn State vs Michigan.jpg
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	10488 Click image for larger version

Name:	Hershey.jpg
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	10489 Click image for larger version

Name:	Cutting Alfalfa.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	10490 Click image for larger version

Name:	Amish Burley Tobacco.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	10491Click image for larger version

Name:	Yuengling Brewery, Pottsville, Pa.jpg
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	10492 Click image for larger version

Name:	Naval Academy Chapel.jpg
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	10493 Click image for larger version

Name:	Our Diner's Drive In's & Dives Stop.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	10494 Click image for larger version

Name:	View From Campsite.jpg
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	10495
Old 10-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Did PA last year.
Really enjoyed Gettysburg and the Amish country side.

Glad you had a nice trip.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:20 AM   #3

... great story. That's what it's all about.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote