Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-14-2021, 02:04 PM   #1

Overcrowding

Just started RVing in Florida plus Ga, SC,NC, VA........
Even higher rated campgrounds are too crowded. Are there any RV apps that rate according to campsite size? I wanted to escape crowding but wanted amenities like water, electricity and sewage disposal. The sites I visited were just too close.like row homes in cities. I saw one that had hedges and trees so one did have privacy at least. All others were just too close.
Anyhow if there is some site that rates campsite size please let me know. Hate to call it quits so early!
Gerry863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 02:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry863 View Post
Even higher rated campgrounds are too crowded. Are there any RV apps that rate according to campsite size? I wanted to escape crowding but wanted amenities like water, electricity and sewage disposal. The sites I visited were just too close.like row homes in cities. I saw one that had hedges and trees so one did have privacy at least. All others were just too close.
Anyhow if there is some site that rates campsite size please let me know. Hate to call it quits so early!
Reviewing photos and looking at the campsite maps are about the best option I've found. Generally the more amenities the more crowded. That's why a lot of us prefer to boondock without those amenities.

You may also try state parks. They generally will have electric and water, but not sewer, at least in my corner of the world. I don't mind hooking and dumping every four or five days.
Old 02-15-2021, 07:50 AM   #3

I hate sites that are so small that I can't open my awning because it would hit the slideouts of the unit next to me. Because of that, I almost exclusively camp at state parks because the sites are larger. Those in my area are electric only, and some don't even have electric. However, I have no problem bringing my own water and can easily go 4-5 days what what I have on board.

I also look at campground maps and Google satellite view to pick the best spots. If its a park we plan to return to, then I try to walk around the park and mark preferred sites on the campground map that I save for the next time I need to reserve a site there.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:48 AM   #4

I do not know of any rv site or app that specifically mentions how spacious the camp sites are. TaftCoach's recommendation is good advice. Most people will also mention how spacious a campsite is on review sites.

All GA and SC state parks we have been to have roomy camp sites, not usually any privacy, but they are roomy sites.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 12:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry863 View Post

Sadly this is becoming more and more of a reality when it comes to camping. RV sales are way up and in turn campgrounds are packed. In Ontario, you have to be online at 8am, 5 months in advance of when you want to book. If you want to book only 1 week, you usually have to book 2 weeks, then cancel off the first week you don't want. It's crazy out there these days.
Old 02-16-2021, 01:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Sadly this is becoming more and more of a reality when it comes to camping. RV sales are way up and in turn campgrounds are packed. In Ontario, you have to be online at 8am, 5 months in advance of when you want to book. If you want to book only 1 week, you usually have to book 2 weeks, then cancel off the first week you don't want. It's crazy out there these days.
I wholeheartedly agree with "Quantum". It's just as bad if not worse out here in California. I feel sorry for people who still work and camp mostly on weekends and holidays because RV campgrounds are a madhouse at these times.

Those of us who are retired have a little more flexibility because we can pretty much dictate our own schedule, but that doesn't necessarily make it any easier finding a good RV site. You just have to persevere and keep trying till you book something you want.