Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-13-2018, 11:05 AM   #1

Packed Campgrounds & Parks Impede RV Freedom

Interesting article by Chuck Woodberry, Publisher of RV Travel Newsletter which was republished in RV Business.

http://www.rvbusiness.com/2018/10/wo...rvers-freedom/
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:25 AM   #2

Too funny, as I sit in this packed RV park this weekend, I told my wife if we go full time we need to find parks that are not packed all the time. With the exception of Fort Wilderness as it does not feel packed although it is.
MadJoker TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:57 AM   #3

Good article. Too bad he didn't address older campgrounds that have sites so narrow (pre-slideouts) that barely have room between them.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:41 PM   #4

Good article, and I am sure the author could have filled a book with the many facets he was probably unable to address. I started using RVs in the 70s and I too have noticed many of the same things. Although, we hardly ever experience the crowding in RV parks that the author mentions. Mostly because we don't do RV parks. We primarily dry camp or boondock. It's a rare occasion that we stay anywhere that has hookups.
Often after trips we meet others who have RVs and we share our pictures and stories. We find the reactions we receive to be mixed. Let me explain what I mean by that. We have noticed a growing trend. Often times people love our stories and our photos and memories. Almost all of them remark how they want to do the same. We have often times invited many of these people to join us. At first, they are motivated and give the typical "yea, lets do this...". Then we set the date and tell the location and that's when they back out. Because more often than not we plan a location that is a 'boondock' location or a no hook up state (or other) campground. We have one neighbor two houses up whom we have never camped with but whom is always expressing the desire. They have a nice Coachman bunkhouse. However, my neighbors wife absolutely will NOT camp without full hook ups. At the same time she complains about the campgrounds always being booked up and full. We point out that where we go is usually lots of open space. The husband questions about the use of the bathroom and asks me about emptying and cleaning my black tanks. He refuses to let anyone (including his wife and children) go 'number 2' in his trailer. So yet another reason why they can't (won't) boondock or dry camp. So they are talking about selling their RV because they hardly get to use it. Yet in the same sentence, the will invariably say, "We wish we could use ours as much as you use yours."
We meet more and more people with the mindset that camping is full hook ups, RV park or nothing. When they do try to dry camp, they get frustrated because the microwave or TV doesn't work without power. The batteries go dead in two to three days because they have no clue how to conserve and expect the trailer to work just like a house. Or the best one, "no cellular or WiFi service." People need to learn to unplug.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:56 PM   #5

"We meet more and more people with the mindset that camping is full hook ups, RV park or nothing. When they do try to dry camp, they get frustrated because the microwave or TV doesn't work without power. The batteries go dead in two to three days because they have no clue how to conserve and expect the trailer to work just like a house. Or the best one, "no cellular or WiFi service." People need to learn to unplug."

More power to them. Stay far away from our favorite spots.

They call in Camping not Glamping.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:30 PM   #6
Site Team

We do approx 100 nights/year and are out almost every weekend when the temps are above freezing. This year we did a little over 3 weeks in developed campgrounds with full hookups. The rest are boondocking.

I don't dislike developed campgrounds per say. And I have to admit that the ones that we do stay at are great, nice people, great amenities and activities for the kids, etc. However, I couldn't live that way 100+ nights a year. I enjoy the quiet and relaxation that boondocking provides. It's not for everyone and I can't blame anyone for wanting full hookups all the time if that's what they enjoy. But, there are so many great places to see and things to do when you break away from the campground.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:37 PM   #7

Pretty much what Midnighmoon said.
When we camp, we camp for a couple of weeks to a few months at a time (retirement = flexibility ). For most trips, we boondock for the relaxation as much as possible and stay in developed campgrounds for the amenities when those appeal to us.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:18 PM   #8

It can still be done, we just got back from Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Craters of the Moon, Staying at campgrounds with services. We think of our RV as a hotel room that has our own stuff in it. We only booked two nights ahead once mostly one and got a site each time.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:23 PM   #9

If we had to we could camp on the side of the rode ( two 6 volt batterys & a 2000 honda ) but being in a unknown place we feel safer in a camp ground.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:31 PM   #10

We used to do boondock with two kids and motor bikes in a tent trailer years ago but thats not what we like now. We camp with friends or we are going to places we didn't have time to see in our younger years.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:34 PM   #11

I am posting multiple times because if I type to long I get kicked out and have sign in again
Old 10-13-2018, 08:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
I am posting multiple times because if I type to long I get kicked out and have sign in again
Click on the "remember me" box when you log in and it should stop doing that.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:17 AM   #13

We like full hook ups. We think of our camper as our mobile cabin.
We do reserve our sites in advance, however.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:36 AM   #14

Campgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
Good article, and I am sure the author could have filled a book with the many facets he was probably unable to address. I started using RVs in the 70s and I too have noticed many of the same things. Although, we hardly ever experience the crowding in RV parks that the author mentions. Mostly because we don't do RV parks. We primarily dry camp or boondock. It's a rare occasion that we stay anywhere that has hookups.
Often after trips we meet others who have RVs and we share our pictures and stories. We find the reactions we receive to be mixed. Let me explain what I mean by that. We have noticed a growing trend. Often times people love our stories and our photos and memories. Almost all of them remark how they want to do the same. We have often times invited many of these people to join us. At first, they are motivated and give the typical "yea, lets do this...". Then we set the date and tell the location and that's when they back out. Because more often than not we plan a location that is a 'boondock' location or a no hook up state (or other) campground. We have one neighbor two houses up whom we have never camped with but whom is always expressing the desire. They have a nice Coachman bunkhouse. However, my neighbors wife absolutely will NOT camp without full hook ups. At the same time she complains about the campgrounds always being booked up and full. We point out that where we go is usually lots of open space. The husband questions about the use of the bathroom and asks me about emptying and cleaning my black tanks. He refuses to let anyone (including his wife and children) go 'number 2' in his trailer. So yet another reason why they can't (won't) boondock or dry camp. So they are talking about selling their RV because they hardly get to use it. Yet in the same sentence, the will invariably say, "We wish we could use ours as much as you use yours."
We meet more and more people with the mindset that camping is full hook ups, RV park or nothing. When they do try to dry camp, they get frustrated because the microwave or TV doesn't work without power. The batteries go dead in two to three days because they have no clue how to conserve and expect the trailer to work just like a house. Or the best one, "no cellular or WiFi service." People need to learn to unplug.
Exactly. In the last 25 years we have stayed in 2 campgrounds. You don’t “need” hookups to camp. As for wifi father away the better
Attached Thumbnails
4D138AB6-BB0F-4B7A-9DE0-5F94D1FABFCC.jpg  
gladecreekwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:33 PM   #15

When you hear your neighbor pass gas its time to leave
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:39 PM   #16

My thoughts on packed campgrounds

This summer we did a 2 week trip to Yellowstone, very busy park, with a big rig, and not a single reservation. Worked out very well, and cheap. This is how I did it. (Forgive the cut and paste):

Yellowstone on the cheap, big rig, no reservations

Ok, we just did a 2 week trip to Yellowstone. We have a pretty big 32 foot trailer, and no reservations. It worked out very well for us, and incredibly cheap. If you are interested, this is how it played out.

We began our trip at the north entrance. We knew if we wanted to stay at Mammoth Campground, we had to arrive on a weekday and early. So we camped 20 miles north of Mammoth for one night at the Carbella Recreation Area. Right on the river, BLM land, so its free, and big rig friendly.

The next day, Monday, we woke up early and arrived at Mammoth by 8:30 a.m. Three cars/trailers in front of us already waiting, but no problem getting a nice pull through. The campground filled up around 10:45. It is dry camping, 20 bucks a night.

After four nights we moved to West Yellowstone. We stayed at Bakers Hole Campground, around 3 miles north of town. Beautiful, right on the river, big rig friendly. With electric it is $23, without electric, $17. Arrive early if you want electric. We dumped at the Grizzley Campground in West Yellowstone. I think they want 92 bucks there for a full hookup pull through. I think that's a lot of money to be packed in like a sardine.

After 5 days we traveled east and camped just outside the east entrance at Three Mile campground. No problem getting a spot, big rig friendly, and 15 bucks at night. Spent three nights there.

Now, friends, this is dry camping, there are no hookups (although there was electric at Bakers Hole). But we have a generator, and solar, and are self contained. I know that dry camping is not for everyone, but I recommend you try it. I know you all like saving money!

However you camp, please enjoy.

Ensign
Yamaha EF3000iseb generator
Renogy 100 Watt Solar Suitcase
ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:27 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Clear your cookies and log back in. You should not be booted out for being logged in to long.

Someone already mentioned the remember me button.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:46 PM   #18

21 trips this year. All in Ohio State Parks. We always reserve our preferred sites, but vacancy is always available somewhere. The more popular parks necessitate a reservation. The people are great, and relaxation is even better! The kids love it too!Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20181014_074336.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	44898

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiofinlander View Post
21 trips this year. All in Ohio State Parks. We always reserve our preferred sites, but vacancy is always available somewhere. The more popular parks necessitate a reservation. The people are great, and relaxation is even better! The kids love it too!Attachment 44898
Haven't broken it down to number of trips but we have 51 nights on the books this year. We took a 2-week trip to Colorado this summer, but 90 percent of our camping is at one of two federal lakes about 60-70 miles from the house. There are multiple COE campgrounds and a state park at each.

A Ohiofinlander said, there are always sites available (with the possible exception of Memorial Day weekend), but we normally make reservations so we get the sites we want. I made reservations in January for Memorial Day and July 4.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
We have often times invited many of these people to join us.
What are you doing! Don't force these people to camp where you and me and our kind want to camp! They want it to be like home but in a different place. LOL

Reminds of when the kids were younger and my wife would try to get them to eat King crab and lobster. I'd ask her what she was trying to do.

As far as crowding, years ago when the kids were young and we tented we could call up a major provincial park a couple of weeks before the long weekend and book a block of site all together. Now you have to be online the day reservations open and if you miss out the good parks are filled for the summer.

Now with the RV we mix it up between resorts and boondocking, sometimes way out of town, other times right in it.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote