Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-14-2014, 12:22 PM   #1

Pennsylvania Grand Canyon campgrounds?

I have it narrowed down to 2 campgrounds - prefer the full hook up. One is on the rim of the canyon and one is a bit away from but don't know if that is a deal breaker... Anyone camp in/near the PA Grand Canyon? I'm heading there the end of the month and thought this would be a good resource to ask. If not, I'll post my results as to where we end up.

East Rim = http://www.campinpa.com/
Bit outside? = http://www.stonyforkcamp.com/ kids pushing for this place with the WiFi. shows how much they enjoy camping

FYI - it's mom and dad along with 6 kids ranging from 17 down to 18 months...
oceanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:17 PM   #2

Hey oceanguy - did you land on a place? We are looking to explore that area in a few weeks. Would love yo get your insights.

Retired: '94 Coleman Pop-up, '14 Jay Feather X18D
Icescreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 12:28 PM   #3

So sorry for not seeing this - I must have changed my settings (email alert) and never saw the response... We did go to Stony Fork Campground and we really liked it. There weren't many full hook up sites available as they seem to be pretty well booked or they are seasonal - but the one we had backed up the creek which was nice. The shuttle to the bike path was the clincher and well worth it. As a heads up - kids around 10 years old will struggle on a single speed bike to make the length of 15 miles or so. While it's described as a down hill slope, it requires some stamina. I lucked out as I had a bike seat on the back of my bike for the 2 1/2 year old but she bailed out and stayed back at the campground with my wife. She would not have done well in the seat for that long of a ride. We saw rattle snakes and other wild life on the path which was really neat to see. There is also a stair climb area next to some falls that seem to go on (up) forever.

The campground is nice and the people that run it are just as nice - they were courteous and helpful on describing things around the area. I think it will become an every other year trip. If I were to do it again, I would make it a 4 or 5 day trip as there is so much to see and do that we barely got to experience the full scope of things around. There are many views and car tours to take to see the sights as well as horse back trips if you don't do the bicycle thing. It was a big area for motorcycle rides as we met a few campers (tent and toy haulers) talking about how they do this area as much as Tennessee's scenic ride. You have to at least drive through the town of Wellsboro - if you can, make a trip there for their Dickens Christmas. We are trying to make that happen this year but we will have to see...

Cheers,
Bob
oceanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:41 AM   #4
Site Team

I visited the PA's Grand Canyon back in 2010. We camped at Stony Creek and enjoyed everything the area had to offer- especially the nostalgic Wellsboro Diner. They had a neat fountain statue in town's park dedicated to Wynken Blynken and Nod. Took a ride on the Tioga Central RR (I'm a railfan) where the DW and I were introduced to Red Cat Wine. Unfortunately, there was no hot tub aboard the train to get the full effect of the wine (see label below).

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote