Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-12-2016, 03:01 PM   #1

Cool Pigeon Forge TN

Heading down to Pigeon Forge TN for a little R&R the end of next week and will be staying at Pine Mountain RV Park. I will be coming South on I81 to I40 arriving in Pigeon Forge around 3 pm next Friday. I planned on taking the most direct route, exit 407 off I40, south on 66 to 441 (The Parkway) into Pigeon Forge. I am being told the Parkway can become a parking lot at times and was wondering if there is a better way (with a 40 ft 5th wheel). I have heard that Veterans Blvd may be a better alternative. Looking for those experienced with that area to guide me in the right direction.
NYRV'R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:23 PM   #2

I do not know of any alternative routes but you are correct in "The Parkway" becoming a parking lot. My family and I was up there in July and it took us an hour to go 12 miles to our campground. If you have an scheduled events planed to attend ensure you leave well enough in time to account for the traffic.
Pigeon Forge is nice, I preferred Gatlinburg myself as a place to hangout between the two. I really enjoyed visiting the Ole Smokey and Sugarland Moonshine tasting venues.

Enjoy
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:57 PM   #3

We were through there on our way to Gatlinburg around Memorial Day, and it was a parking lot. Not sure where your campground is, but if Veterans Blvd is a possible route, I recommend it as it bypasses all of the traffic through town.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:30 PM   #4

Next trip try Townsend. It's getting more popular but not as bad as PF. About a 20-30 minute drive through Wears Valley to PF and about the same through the national park to Gatlinburg. Also at the entrance to Cades Cove if you have never been. You cant go through Wears Valley with a 40' 5th wheel though and not sure about the National Park but it is fairly close if the family wants outlet malls as a trip after you are set up. The town slogan is "The peaceful side of the Smokies".
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:31 PM   #5

Off Season

We just returned after two weeks in Pigeon Forge... It was considered off season and the Parkway was no problem. I have been there in Mid-October and it was much different so I am familiar with the parking lot concerns.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:11 PM   #6

X2 on Townsend... They have several real nice campground with quick access to the Natl Park. Our first choice is always ELKMONT Camp inside the Natl Park. If we want some hookups we will pick Townsend next or Rivers Edge just on the way into Pigeon Forge coming from Gatlinburg...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:03 AM   #7

This is our first trip to Pigeon Forge so I threw a dart on the map and it hit near Pine Mountain RV Park, smack dab in the middle of Pigeon Forge. AFTER I made the reservations I found out about the traffic on the parkway. I guess we will just go with the flow and enjoy whatever comes. If all goes well and we return next year we will take a look at Townsend. Considering the area for an investment property and or retirement property.
NYRV'R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:39 AM   #8

This trip then it would be worthwhile to take a drive through Townsend if for nothing else to drive through Cades Cove. Either through the Nat Park or Wears Valley you will enjoy the drive.
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:41 AM   #9

Actually you'll be there during an "off week". Not nearly as busy as a summer weekend. But still very busy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer03 View Post
I preferred Gatlinburg myself as a place to hangout between the two. I really enjoyed visiting the Ole Smokey and Sugarland Moonshine tasting venues.

Enjoy
Us too. The moonshine thing was a lot of fun!

We drove through PF. No thanks! Wow, that place makes the Wisconsin Dells and Lake Delton, WI look downright classy! Pigeon Forge and Seiverville give new meaning to the words "tourist trap".

When spending time in Gatlinburg, don't park in downtown. The lots are private and are $8 and $10 flat fee. There is a public parking structure on the east end of downtown Gatlinburg. It's by the hour and not expensive. We never spent more that $3 or $4 to park for a few hours.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:38 PM   #10

Having been there last summer I would suggest the following alternative route. That parkway is brutal!

Next time I am going in this way.
Newport Highway (411/35) to Veterans Blvd. unless someone having gone this route can make an argument for it.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:47 AM   #11
fjd

We stayed a week at Rivers Edge in 2015 and enjoyed the stay. It was right before the Parkway so dragging a 30ft TT in wasn't an issue. Then each day we went out on day trips battling traffic on the Parkway or some other local roads. But we are from NJ and used to traffic. Im sure there are other nice rv parks in the area. Enjoy the trip.
fjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRV'R View Post
Heading down to Pigeon Forge TN for a little R&R the end of next week and will be staying at Pine Mountain RV Park. I will be coming South on I81 to I40 arriving in Pigeon Forge around 3 pm next Friday. I planned on taking the most direct route, exit 407 off I40, south on 66 to 441 (The Parkway) into Pigeon Forge. I am being told the Parkway can become a parking lot at times and was wondering if there is a better way (with a 40 ft 5th wheel). I have heard that Veterans Blvd may be a better alternative. Looking for those experienced with that area to guide me in the right direction.
Don't show up on a Friday afternoon or for that matter on a weekend or whenever an event is planned for PF or Gatlinburg. Townsend is a great alternative. The middle of PF is about the worst you could have picked unless you are in to outlets and amusement parks. Its done so enjoy and use your time to plan a different location for the next trip.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote