Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-10-2011, 02:26 PM   #1

Pike's Peak, Royal Gorge

Are these areas just tourist traps or what? When I was a kid, my family visited both places and all I remember about Pike's Peak was the drive and the view. Royal Gorge was a bridge and the inclined railway that we rode to the bottom and that was pretty much it.

Today I looked at both places on the web and it appears to me that it will cost a pretty bundle to visit and neither is very clear about what items are a fee and which are not.

I was under the impression that you could simply drive across the bridge or up the peak, enjoy the view and move on for no charge.

I understand that the inclined railway would be a fee activity but I figured the road across the bridge was public property with perhaps a vehicle toll per axle or whatever just like the Mackinac Bridge.

So, just to make it clear, I realize that to ride a carousel, sky-coaster, cable car or the like would incur a fee, but I'm not going to pony up $115 for the Pikes Peak dry tour.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:07 PM   #2

Viewing Royal Gorge is free but walking across it does incur a fee. Pikes Peak is a little costly just to drive your car/truck up but much cheaper than taking the tram. If you are not squeemish about drop offs and heights, drive it...a great experience. It takes $$$ to maintain the roads, etc. While in the area, go to Garden of the Gods and take a picnic lunch with you. Much to see and it's free (City owned park). Also there is Seven Falls in Colo. Springs. Again, a little costly but well worth it. Get there before 5pm to get in cheaper. That way you can see it in the daylight, then stay a while and see it all lit up when the sun goes down. Lots to do in Colo.Springs in addition to these places.

And no, I do not get any kickbacks from Colorado Springs C of C...just love the area. One of our favorite places to go. I have been there with my parents in the 60's, taken my kids in the 80's and now taking my grandkids these days.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:00 PM   #3

Colorado Springs also has a good zoo. Wil Rogers memorial tower is worth the stop also.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:20 AM   #4

dg1971 - Are they still letting vehicles cross the bridge? We were there about 10 years ago and the rumor was the bridge was closing except for the tour bus and foot traffic.

We also enjoyed Garden of the Gods - beautiful!!! Pike's Peak - took the drive, it was fantastic. An hour after we got to the top a storm rolled in. We took the suggestion to leave (while we could) and got quite a lightening show on the way down. And no that trip is not for sqeemish people.
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:06 PM   #5

[QUOTE=Gma-n-Gpa;43405]dg1971 - Are they still letting vehicles cross the bridge? We were there about 10 years ago and the rumor was the bridge was closing except for the tour bus and foot traffic.

Gma-n-Gpa, unless something has changed the past few years, the bridge is open only to foot traffic and I believe they allow tour busses as well (or use to) but I didn't remember seeing any busses the last time I was there.

Clutch, I had forgotten about the zoo and Memorial Tower. The Air Force Academy is something to see plus the Cave of the Winds and 20 more things to do such as museums, displays, etc. Definately can spend some $$$ there but never will run out of things to do.

Clarification - For those not familiar with Colo. Springs or the Royal Gorge, the Gorge is about an hour away from Colorado Springs near Canon City. A lot of the visitors to the area make a day trip from the Springs to the Gorge. The rest of the attractions, Pikes Peak, Seven Falls, Garden of the Gods are all within the greater Colorado Springs metropolitan area.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:51 PM   #6

We were there about six years ago and the bridge was only open to foot traffic. I didn't think the cost was worth it so we looked into the gorge from the hill side trail.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote