Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2018, 07:57 PM   #1

Planning trip to Niagara Falls July 2019

We are planning a trip to Niagara Falls from southern Indiana. We have 2 kids daughter will be 10 and son 3. Any recommendations of campgrounds in that area? Also recommendations of things to do and see? Is there enough to do in that area for a week?
Sean1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:44 PM   #2

Four Mile State Campground in Youngstown NY, about 10 miles north of Niagara Falls, NY. It is a very nice campground. Branches of Niagara Campground on Grand Island is very, very nice. KOA’s around here, not so nice.

Fantasy Island Amusement Park on Grand Island, Just south of Niagara Falls on I-190 It’s a small, kid friendly park with rides for the little ones.

There is plenty to do there for a week:

Old Fort Niagara, Whirlpool Jet Boat Tours, Niagara Falls State Park is right at the Falls. Many attractions on Canadian side as well, bring your passports.

Lockport NY, 14 miles east has Erie Canal Locks tours, Lockport Caves, Zip Line across the Erie Canal and Lockport Locks/Erie Canal Boat Tours.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1980 View Post
We are planning a trip to Niagara Falls from southern Indiana. We have 2 kids daughter will be 10 and son 3. Any recommendations of campgrounds in that area? Also recommendations of things to do and see? Is there enough to do in that area for a week?
Heres a cold snap shot of the Falls in winter, this was a few years ago when we had to see it frozen
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN4813.jpg   DSCN4843.jpg  

2011 GMC Serria Ext Cab LB
2012 Jayflight 22FB
edowsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:41 AM   #4

x2 on the Branches of Niagara campground
380 watts of solar
2013 1500 Silverado 5.3 4x4 ext cab
Equalizer hitch 1,000/10,000
Firestone Airlift airbags
geezerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:33 AM   #5

Short answer to a week there is NO. If you have the necessary documents to cross the bridge, there are things to see from the Canadian side but on the US side, the NY State park at N Falls is an island in the middle of a very depressed urban area. The state park is a must see visit but one day is all it requires. Many say the best views of the Falls is from the C side. The state campground 10 miles north is the best place to set up for your visit. No campground at the Falls state park.

I was shocked at the litteral waste land of empty buildings and closed businesses in the blocks that surround the NF's state park. we spent 2 nites at the SP campground and then left the area.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 04:41 PM   #6

Another vote for the Canadian side! Sorry but I have no experience with any local campgrounds in that area.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:22 PM   #7

We stayed at the Grand Island KOA, nice spots with a central lake and cabins, 7 miles to Niagara Falls and the state park, we found everything on the Canadian side about 50% more expensive. But if you go for that kind of thing the Zip Line along the Falls is Awesome!
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:13 AM   #8

If you are going to the Canadian side check out the Adventure Pass. You can save by buying it online. You can pick which package you want and when you arrive and go to a tourist center they schedule you for each excursion.

https://www.niagaraparks.com/visit-n...iAAEgKbJvD_BwE
Old 10-28-2018, 03:01 PM   #9

Thanks for all the comments. It’s great to hear others experiences. I thought the US side of Niagara Falls looked depressed when I was there 25 years ago but I was only 13 years old!! But I’m sure we will venture over to the Canadian side as well. Does anyone know the laws on taking a pistol across the border. I always have one in my truck especially on trips.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks for all the comments. It’s great to hear others experiences. I thought the US side of Niagara Falls looked depressed when I was there 25 years ago but I was only 13 years old!! But I’m sure we will venture over to the Canadian side as well. Does anyone know the laws on taking a pistol across the border. I always have one in my truck especially on trips.
ONE Word.... NO!!! GUNS!!, I left my gun in Michigan when I wen but forgot the ammo!, dang you would have thought I was ISIS the way they reacted, got grilled for 45 minutes and they searched my rig.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:14 PM   #11

We camped next to a couple from NY over the past summer and mentioned that we were planning a trip to the falls. They highly recommended Darien Lakes State Park. This is second hand info., but they were great to camp beside and I felt good with there recommendation.

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Understand, Canada does not have a 2nd amendment and guns [other than long guns] are not allowed. Even long guns require permits to bring across the bordor and they are expensive to acquire. That is one of the reasons I will probably never cross that border. I respect their right to make their own laws but I choose not to spend my $$'s are exposed to restrictions on things like dog food and much of the food I might choose to stock for my trip.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:22 AM   #13

Thanks for the info. I remember back in 2009 I went a on a hunt in Manitoba and it was a pain for taking 2 shotguns up. But I didn’t know if they may have changed their law. I should have probably researched it myself but always good to hear everyone’s stories!
Old 10-29-2018, 09:14 AM   #14

Quote:
You can also check out Canalside in Buffalo, 30 minutes from the Falls. Museums, museum ships, boat tours, concerts, interesting restaurants, zip lines between old grain elevators--you can easily spend a day or two there.

The ride between Niagara Falls and Buffalo on the Canadian side takes longer but is a really nice ride with good views of the river.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:40 PM   #15

We were at the falls in September this year. The Canadian side is a definite. We stayed at Campark Resorts camp ground. It was just myself and my wife so we didn't take advantage of the Kid Activities. Lots to do for kids at the camp site. There's a public bus right outside of the campground that takes you directly to the falls - it's about a 35 minute bus ride. There is a lot do do in the town itself; mostly kids activities. We only found enough to do for 2 days but with kids, you could spend an extra day or 2. If you want to stay the week, Toronto has all kinds of activities - about 1 1/2 hours from the falls.
jdux999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:22 PM   #16

We were at 4 Mile last summer and found it great for our 7 year old grandson. Swings and stuff, lots of bikes running around.

Activities - There is an Aroboretum which may sound odd for kids but it has a nice special area for kids.
Small town nearby has a restaurant in an old grain silo by the river. Foods ok but the view and surroundings are great for kids.
The park around Niagara is free parking if you stay at 4 Mile and has lots of paved trails to different views. Walking around tired us all out.
fires are permitted at 4 Mile so bring wood. The store is tiny and not to be relied on. The nearest town is big enough for several restaurants and a nice market for your foods, etc.

Have fun!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:39 PM   #17

We just stayed at the KOA Grand Island and thought it was very comfortable. It is right next door to an amusement park but that was no problem. It’s a bit pricey but you have to consider the area. Very close to the falls and border area. We loved the Canadian side of the falls. Better view in my opinion.
RdWarriors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:30 PM   #18

There is a restaurant/dinner show on the Canadian side called "Oh Canada Eh?". It is a dinner show that the wait staff is also the actors and quite frankly-it is hilarious! The food is good and served "family style"so you will meet other folks at your table and I guarantee you AND your kids will love it! Also, there is a campground in Pelham Ontario called Bissell's Hideaway Resort that is a great place for kids-huge pool, water slide, zip line and more, is not very far from the Falls either.