Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-15-2018, 05:51 PM   #1

Planning trip to Tennessee and DC

We are new to the camping scene and looking to travel from Charleston SC area to Memphis area, back through Nashville and then northern Virginia near DC area in early spring next year. Probably a three week trip with several days in each area. Need some help on campgrounds, etc in these areas and any special things we don't want to miss. Somewhat familiar with all three major stops(Memphis, Nashville, and DC), but if you know of anything special you would like to share, please do. We are members of Passport, Good Sams, and 1000 trails if that helps. Thanks in advice for any help!
Jaycophil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 06:29 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to JOF. Question? How many hours a day do you normally drive?

We have made similar trips up I-26 to I-40 and If I knew how many miles or how many hours you drive, I may be able to give you a couple of tips. We go to E. Tenn. often from Charleston.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 06:41 PM   #3

300-350 mpd about max for me. My thoughts were get to Memphis in two days, stay about 3-5 days in Memphis, then one day over to Nashville for 3-4 days. From there not sure about even going to DC on this trip or maybe sticking around Tennessee area for longer. Still pondering what to do. Very interested in how you do the trip from here. Thanks for any thoughts.
Jaycophil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:00 PM   #4
Site Team

We usually drive to Waynesville, NC and stay at Creekwood Farm RV park about a mile from I-40 at exit 20. Close to Tenn. but many things to do and see in the area. Chataloochee National Park is almost across the street from the park. 5 miles to Blue Ridge parkway. A side trip to Cherokee from the cg is about an hour drive. Stay a couple of nights and see if you want to come back and see more. We spend a month or so in the area each year.

Last time we left there and went to Nashville, it was a nice days drive. We spent the night in a good sam park, I can look it up if you want.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:32 AM   #5

Tourism is the #1 priority in the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area, lots and lots of people with RV's want to see the Smoky Mtn NP. Crowds are terrible IMO, but if you've never been, then you probably should.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:32 AM   #6

Visiting Memphis a few years back we stayed at Tom Sawyer CG in West Memphis (Arkansas) and while the local area is not very inviting the park is very pleasant and offers nice views of the river. Access to downtown Memphis across I55 is easy. It’s on my list of places to return to (world big, life short). ��

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 05:00 PM   #7

Must visit Fall Creek Falls State Park, you'll pass it twice on your trip.
bender88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:51 PM   #8

Just outside of Pigeon Forge is Wears Valley. US321 goes right thru Wears Valley to Townsend, TN. Honeysuckle RV Park is in the middle of the Valley. They have a limited number of sights with wonderful views of the mountains. Full hookups, cable and WiFi. Access to GSMNP is through Metcalf Bottoms. We just spent five weeks there and enjoyed every minute. Weather was iffy. Lots to do, the new Foothills Parkway, the Blue Ridge Parkway, the elk near Cherokee. Fabulous, stay out of Gatlinburg.
Tow Vehicle 2013 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Limited
Cubfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:45 AM   #9

Ditto on Tom Sawyer in Memphis. Actually, West Memphis, which is on the other side of the Mississippi from Memphis, making it Arkansas. Still handy for daily trips into town, and under five miles from a Walmart.

We're staying there right now. Right on the Mississippi with a nice view. We have a full hookup for a week at $187.50. Some gravel and some paved. Free laundry. If you like to use campground showers, this may not be for you, as shower facilities are minimal.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
memphis, nashville, northern virginia, washington dc