Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-24-2018, 12:56 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Snip...
dropping Illuminations at Epcot after next summer. I know that things have to change over time, but some of my best memories as a family is holding my oldest daughter on my shoulders when she was little watching that show. She literally cried when she heard it was ending.
Dropping Illuminations!

Some of our best memories, too, were at EPCOT! That includes Illuminations, Y2K and the Millennium Sign on Space Ship Earth, and the Tapestry of Nations (later rethemed as Tapestry of Dreams) Parade.

I feel especially dumb, too, since the DW and I passed up Illuminations this year when we had many chances to go. We were there from early Jan to May, but always said, "Maybe later, but not tonight." Dang! The DW will be seriously PO'd when she hears this!

On the other hand.... Hmmmm maybe we WILL find it in the budget to go in Jan/Feb before our annual passes expire!

(BTW, according to some articles I just read online there will be a new show in the EPCOT Lagoon.)
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:26 PM   #22
Site Team

My oldest daughter is extremely sentimental, especially as teenagers go. When she was little, our deal was that we would watch illuminations in front of the Germany pavilion (she liked to watch the trains before the show started) and then I would carry her on my shoulders to the bus stop out of Epcot. She would always be asleep on my shoulders by the time we got to the bus.

When we were there in August, we got wind of the rumor that the show was ending and she started crying. Well, sure enough, after Illuminations was over, she said to me "dad, do you think you can still carry me on your shoulders like we used to do"? Talk about tugging at the heart strings.

Being always up for a challenge, there we go....middle aged daddy with a teenager on his shoulders out of World Showcase. Now I'm a big old boy, 250# or so and can still bench press a small house. But let me tell you, she's blasted heavy after a half mile or so. We only made it over to Mouse Gear over in Future World be for I had to put her down. Guaranteed, that if we get to see it again before it is done, she'll have me caring her out of the park again. This time, I'm going to make it the entire way!

So if you are there and you see some teenage girl being carried out of Epcot by some middle aged fat fool, don't worry, it's just us.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:38 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Did you check Costco prices for the passes? I think I saw Disney listed ...
Costco does not offer any tickets. Cheapest I have seen and used in the past was Undercover Tourist. Every little bit helps.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:03 PM   #24

If you are an AAA member, you might compare the discount you get as an AAA member versus direct purchase from Disney.
susan34982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:10 AM   #25

Quote:
We are in the process of planning our Disney World vacation for next summer. Last year we did 11 days in Ft. Wilderness and a 10 day Hopper Plus Package. This year we were thinking of possibly 12 days or 2 full weeks at Disney.

It appears that Disney will not allow me to buy anything longer than a 10 day ticket package. From at least what I have been able to find out, they will not discount any additional days added on to that 10 day package. I will have to buy additional days at their list price. And in true Disney fashion, they have the price structure set that the 10 day Hopper package + the cost of 2 additional days equals the cost of the Annual Pass.

Would there be any advantage or disadvantage to buying the Annual Pass instead of the standard ticket packages? Some of the Annual Passes do have blackout dates, but it appears that our travel times wouldn't be effected by those.

Thanks in advance for any information you may be able to offer.
No idea what the currently charge, however when our daughter was about 6 or so, we went down for several days and I bought us a park hopper pass for 4 days and had to buy a 1 day extra ticket since at the time they didn't sell anything longer. The very first morning we were there, an older, clearly more experienced couple started talking to us on the bus to Magic Kingdom from the Caribbean resort. Told them how long we would be there and what we paid for 2 adults and a child. They said, "oh you should have bought an annual pass."

Turns out, for about $75 more, I could have had a family annual pass, which we did the following year and ended up visiting from Texas about 4 time. Once was a regular 7 day vacation and then a few long weekends, using Aadvantage miles, and it wad definitely worth it to us. I don't think the platinum passes have black outs either.

Getting early access to the parks, some discounts in parks and restaurants and parking was a good deal we thought. But, you do have to calculate how many days it would take before you 'break even' on individual passes I'd say. I think for us, it anything over about 8 or 9 nice was better than break even. We ended up going at least 18 days in all.
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:33 AM   #26

It was mentioned already that things change a lot with Disney, but allow me to share what we used to do.

We always bought the ticket package we wanted, in your case the the 10-day, and then while at the park before the the package expired you can visit guest services and upgrade your ticket to a season pass. We frequently did this to avoid black out days on our initial visit.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:07 PM   #27

We get the silver annual pass since we are Florida residents. It has blackout out dates but being a Ft Wilderness denizen, i know what July and August are like. Been doing Ft Wilderness thing for over 30 years, trust me you don't want to be there in the dead of summer. Just got back yesterday from the Fort and the Halloween decorations were phenomenal and temps were fine. We'll be going back in December for the Christmas decorations in the parks and the Fort. It's a family tradition. Our annual passes get a work out.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:20 AM   #28

We are most definitely looking forward to retiring in a few years and getting to make longer trips. One on my list has always been camping at Wilderness...
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:01 AM   #29
Site Team

We've visited Disney a couple of dozen times now and I have never enjoyed it as much as we did staying at Ft. Wilderness.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:30 AM   #30

Quote:
We've visited Disney a couple of dozen times now and I have never enjoyed it as much as we did staying at Ft. Wilderness.
X2, but not as many times but over the years we've stayed at Ft Wilderness and a variety of other WDW Resorts (budget, moderate, deluxe, and a couple of DVCs). We've enjoyed every visit, but "The Fort" is our favorite, too.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
Old 10-30-2018, 10:48 AM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
X2, but not as many times but over the years we've stayed at Ft Wilderness and a variety of other WDW Resorts (budget, moderate, deluxe, and a couple of DVCs). We've enjoyed every visit, but "The Fort" is our favorite, too.
My wife explained it very well. Ft. Wilderness takes away that rushed, crowded, overwhelmed feeling that Disney can give you at times. When you are back at your site, it is just you and your RV. Even the people staying at the Fort seem laid back compared to the other resorts.

Our 2 favorite resort hotels over the years have been Animal Kingdom Lodge and Coronado Springs. We have done many others, but those stand out as our favorites. I don't think we will be doing anything but Ft. Wilderness for the near future.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:15 AM   #32

Haven't stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge... yet .

Sounds like your wife nailed "The Fort" experience! We were there for 2 separate weeks with our 2 sons and their families. So each time there were 4 adults and 2 grand-kids in our trailer for a week. It was so much more relaxing at "The Fort" than a previous trip with 4 adults and 2 grand kids in 2 rooms at a budget resort!

Our 2 favorite WDW Resorts are "The Poly" (our 1st trip to WDW) and Port Orleans French Quarter (in WDW for Y2K). Once upon a time, DW was a 'cast member' in a Disney store so we got a couple of bargains at Boardwalk and Old Key West. Good times.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:30 PM   #33
Site Team

We stayed at the Polynesian years ago before the remodel. Very nice. We still go to Ohana's for breakfast or dinner when we are in Disney.

My kids want to stay at the Boardwalk at some point. My oldest really likes that area between Epcot and Hollywood Studios.

If you ever get the chance to stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge, pay the extra fee for the Savanna view room. There's nothing better than having coffee in the morning with a giraffe outside your patio. Also, Jiko resturant has a Dinner Safari package exclusively for Animal Kingdom Lodge guests. Absolutely worth the money. It's a must do if you are staying there.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:16 PM   #34

Quote:
My wife explained it very well. Ft. Wilderness takes away that rushed, crowded, overwhelmed feeling that Disney can give you at times. When you are back at your site, it is just you and your RV. Even the people staying at the Fort seem laid back compared to the other resorts.
X-2, it's sonething many people don't understand. Our favorite resort, when not camping, was Wilderness Lodge followed by French Quarter. The values are nice for the price, but just too spread out, especially for old farts..
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:18 PM   #35

Quote:
We stayed at the Polynesian years ago before the remodel. Very nice. We still go to Ohana's for breakfast or dinner when we are in Disney.

Us too! Or the Kona Cafe for breakfast.

My kids want to stay at the Boardwalk at some point. My oldest really likes that area between Epcot and Hollywood Studios.

How old? We like to sit outdoors with a beer flight from Big River Grille & Brewing Works.
Then a short boat ride or walk to the International Gateway & EPCOT.

If you ever get the chance to stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge, pay the extra fee for the Savanna view room. There's nothing better than having coffee in the morning with a giraffe outside your patio. Also, Jiko resturant has a Dinner Safari package exclusively for Animal Kingdom Lodge guests. Absolutely worth the money. It's a must do if you are staying there.
DW would have nothing other than one of those rooms! I didn't know about the Dinner & Safari package, but thanks for the tip; when we get there, we're IN!

DW works at Out of Africa Wildlife Park here in AZ and LOVES all those animals! Today she hopes to get introduced to the park's new baby lions. Needless to say, the Animal Kingdom is her favorite park and I've never had a bad meal there.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:09 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
X-2, it's sonething many people don't understand. Our favorite resort, when not camping, was Wilderness Lodge followed by French Quarter. The values are nice for the price, but just too spread out, especially for old farts..
We've stayed at Wilderness Lodge 2-3 times. It is very nice. We lucked out the last 2 times we were there and ended up with a room with a view of the Castle. It was really nice to watch the fireworks from that balcony.

Whispering Canyon is a decent restaurant for the money. The kids especially like to ask for ketchup and end up with 30 on the table. The restaurant stopped the antics for a short period and I understand that it didn't go over well. When we were there in August, it was back to it's old character.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:22 PM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
DW would have nothing other than one of those rooms! I didn't know about the Dinner & Safari package, but thanks for the tip; when we get there, we're IN!

DW works at Out of Africa Wildlife Park here in AZ and LOVES all those animals! Today she hopes to get introduced to the park's new baby lions. Needless to say, the Animal Kingdom is her favorite park and I've never had a bad meal there.
Here's a link to that dinner package I was telling you about.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/di...ri-and-dinner/

It sounds like your wife has an interesting job. I love that kind of stuff.

I've only been to AZ once for a conference. I was there in June of 2012 and it was something like 108 or 109 or so on a day that we decided to play golf. The group I was with kept saying..."But it's dry heat".

Hit an 81 so I guess it wasn't that bad.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:46 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodpod View Post
We get the silver annual pass since we are Florida residents. It has blackout out dates but being a Ft Wilderness denizen, i know what July and August are like.
How do the prices compared to a out of state pass?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:46 PM   #39
Site Team

Just a little update on this thread. We ended up booking our Ft. Wilderness with just a 10-day hopper pass for now. However, in talking to the Disney rep on the phone when we made our reservation, we plan on going to Guest Relations at some point during our trip and upgrading our tickets to annual passes. According to the Disney rep, as long as you upgrade while your tickets are valid, the purchase price of the tickets will be applied to the annual pass cost. I hope it works out as he described. If not, no big deal.