Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-29-2016, 10:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGarrett50 View Post
You might want to consider New Braunfels on the East side of San Antonio. Not really "hill country" (although some there think so). The advantages are Schlitterbahn Water Park (unlike any water park you'll find), tubing on the Guadalupe River and you're less than an hour to San Antonio and Austin where there are many other things to do for kids and adults.

We just stayed at Hill Country Cottage & RV Resort and found it very pleasant. Plus there is an amazing kid-friendly outdoor pool and 2 indoor pools. Seems to have lots of activities on their calendar and many facilities. New Braunfels and Gruene are quaint towns that we really enjoy.
I'd have to agree with most of this assessment. Except for the assertion that New Braunfels and Gruene are "quaint towns". That may have been the case as little as 5-7 yrs ago, but the area has EXPLODED in recent years. And during spring break (the OP's target time window) the place is anything but quaint. More like a fraternity house mixed in with a zoo. Between the extremely popular tubing rivers, (the Comal and the Guadalupe), and Schlitterbahn, it's a wreck. Everywhere is PACKED with intoxicated college kids. The whole area is almost as much a magnet as South Padre Island for the local universities (UT Austin, Texas State, Texas A&M, UTSA, etc...) As locals, we tend to steer clear of the area during Spring Break, and most times during the summer, it just gets too crazy for our taste.

This all thins out as you move further West, away into the "Hill Country", but not a whole lot. The popular places are all packed during that time, and it's difficult to find the nice little pockets of sanity.

Spring Break is smack in the middle of our busiest time at work, so we don't get to go out during that time, but that works out just fine for us most of the time; we don't like the crowds anyway.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 06:36 PM   #12

I would second the Lady Bird Johnson Park in Fredericksburg. Its a no frills park but a lot of stuff to do in the area.

I would also second Jellystone Park just outside of Canyon Lake. Easy access back to New Braunfels, etc.

I also thoroughly enjoy Guadalupe River State Park. May be hard to get into for spring break. Many SP book up real early.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/attachmen...pic32337_2.gif
Chris P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 07:21 PM   #13

Well we ended up with a place called summit vacation and rv resort, its real close to caynon lake and had good reviews so ill guess we'll see how it goes, plus lot of cool stuff to do with the kids near by, also would like to add just booked our coloardo trip for june right next to pikes peak. I think im more excited than my kids are, gonna be a long drive, about 1000 miles
Old 01-31-2016, 09:16 AM   #14

Forgot about that one. River Road is a nice area along the Guadalupe River. Have Fun!!

https://www.jaycoowners.com/attachmen...pic32337_2.gif
Chris P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:21 PM   #15

We are from Friendswood and really enjoy the State Parks. Guadalupe State Park outside off Spring Branch is great! We went over Christmas break and enjoyed the park, River, fishing, and hiking. We are going back in the near future. Huntsville State Park is another favorite! Have fun on both trips and keep us posted.
Texasgreyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:36 PM   #16

We just got back a couple of hours ago from Pendernales SP. This is now one of our new favorite parks! Lots to do at the park and surrounding area. Wife was happy because we were about 1 hour from San Marcos outlet mall...I was happy because we were 20 minutes from Deep Eddy's Vodka distillery in Dripping Springs. We drove over to Fredericksburg (about 45 mins) and spent the day there and did some wine tasting/touring. My favorite park about this SP was that my cell service (AT&T) was not at all good...which meant, I got very few calls and emails from work!!
'16 Ram 3500 MC CTD Dually, 4:10 rear
'14 Ram 2500 MC CTD (gone)
'14 287BHBE (gone)
'16 North Point 377RLBH (current and hopefully last)
Bookemdanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
We just got back a couple of hours ago from Pendernales SP. This is now one of our new favorite parks! Lots to do at the park and surrounding area. Wife was happy because we were about 1 hour from San Marcos outlet mall...I was happy because we were 20 minutes from Deep Eddy's Vodka distillery in Dripping Springs. We drove over to Fredericksburg (about 45 mins) and spent the day there and did some wine tasting/touring. My favorite park about this SP was that my cell service (AT&T) was not at all good...which meant, I got very few calls and emails from work!!
Glad to hear you had a good time!! That's always been one of my favorite spots!

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote