Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Camping and RV'ing > Campgrounds and Attractions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2018, 05:37 AM   #1

Question for those who have traveled to Monument Valley

Would any of you dare go there in the middle of June? Would the heat be oppressive?

I would like to go there this year, but with average heat at 90, I think it might be a bit warm for me in the trailer since at least part of the time while in that area, I'll be boondocking.

The alternative will be to head to the higher elevations of GCNP-North Rim.

I'm planning on a trip this summer that takes me to that part of the country, then I'm heading north to Craters of the Moon, ID, then over to Grand Teton NP, followed by Yellowstone NP, and then the Black Hills.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:36 AM   #2

But the overnight lows would be in the 60s. So try and stay in the shade between the hours of 10 am and 4 pm. And don't forget to stay hydrated.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:38 AM   #3

Not much shade in the Monument Valley. Also most of that land is Native American not sure about boondocking there, may want to do some research on that. I know KOA opened a new campground there but it's a tad pricey from what I hear.

Lots to see between Monument Valley and Craters of the moon. Zion, Bryce, just to name couple, Moab, canyonland etc.

Happy Camping

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:47 AM   #4

Go!

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:44 AM   #5

Go early June!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:21 PM   #6

I've said Monument Valley, but I'll probably go over to Valley of the Gods instead. From what I've read, it's much like Monument Valley, only smaller.

I had originally planned to go to Zion before heading to Salt Lake City.
However, I looked at the some campgrounds, and they were all full, except for two days at the private CG just outside Zion's entrance. Those two days corresponded to the days were planning on being there. However, they required full payment up front, and even if we cancelled, they keep all the money. That wasn't an option.

That's also why I've though about just going down the the North Rim where it's cooler.

When I get into NM, I'll be able to tell if the heat will be unbearable. If it is, we'll just head to the North Rim.

We plan on stopping at Salt Lake City for a day or two in order to catch our breath, and to do clothes at the campground laundry. By that time, we'll be getting low on clean clothes.

We did that on our epic cross country trip in 2014. Every once in a while, we'd stop in order to catch our breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Not much shade in the Monument Valley. Also most of that land is Native American not sure about boondocking there, may want to do some research on that. I know KOA opened a new campground there but it's a tad pricey from what I hear.

Lots to see between Monument Valley and Craters of the moon. Zion, Bryce, just to name couple, Moab, canyonland etc.

Happy Camping

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:59 AM   #7

If you're looking for National Parks that aren't as hot in the summer near where you are traveling, try Bryce canyon in Utah. It sits between 8k-9k feet elevation. There is a great campground with full hook ups there called Ruby's Inn Campground. We stayed there in June a few years back and plan on returning soon.

https://www.rubysinn.com/

2005 Forest River Rockwood 2601 (Sold)
2011 Ford Expedition XLT (Sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler (Just for fun!)
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:51 AM   #8

Quote:
When I get into NM, I'll be able to tell if the heat will be unbearable. If it is, we'll just head to the North Rim.
Not so fast. Its booked up solid. Check recreation.gov Reservations taken six months in advance.

You will do better in Kaibab NF. But it too is booking up .. And I think if you just drop in and get a site you will be incredibly lucky

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote