Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-22-2018, 01:26 PM   #1

Reliable reviews

Anybody else wonder about the reviews on Good Sam and others .
How relevant is a review that is more than 2 years old and the fact that one post is 5 stars and the next is 1 star , sometime it seems the folks were at a completely different campgrounds .

Eddy
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 01:42 PM   #2

I like campgroundreviews.com
Usually more updated reviews.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:48 PM   #3
Site Team

Human nature and the present attitude of many is if somethings not perfect or does not meet their expectations, it is no good. I take them with a grain of salt.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 01:50 PM   #4
Site Team

Like a lot of reviews, you can't please everyone all the time. We look at a lot of them, and take some with a grain of salt. If there are more good than bad, we'll take a chance. Some are bad, then there's a change of ownership, and they get good again.....or not. Best bet is to ask everyone here.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 02:13 PM   #5

I agree with the human nature response. Just like the forums, people are often more likely to post when they are upset than when they are happy and move on.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 04:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
I agree with the human nature response. Just like the forums, people are often more likely to post when they are upset than when they are happy and move on.
X-2. Saw many bad reviews for what we thought was a good or even great CG. Some get upset when they have to follow the CG rules.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 05:53 PM   #7

I just read several reviews on RV Park Reviews. The campground reviewed were in different states. Seems like most of the negative reviews happened during the winter (off season?) months. Could be the campground cut back on personnel during the slow months.

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 07:44 AM   #8

Love and use campgroundreviews.com all the time. You'll find our reviews there under Damon-Becky.
Yes, reviews vary between visitors, sometimes widely. Everybody has bad days. Usually I trust the average, if there have been more than 5 reviews, and read them all. Then click the campground website as well.
Been a good guide for us so far.
DamonBecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 09:23 AM   #9

I also like rvparkreviews but take the comments with a grain of salt. I like to look over the negative ones and look for common threads and I place less importance on older posts.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 09:43 AM   #10

Yes. And I have to be careful searching for sites. Checked on Blue Springs Park as original poster mentioned and got a site in Alabama, not Orange Beach. Dissapointing reviews before I noticed I had typed Springs plural instead of Spring singular....
DamonBecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:48 PM   #11

I read the comments for clues. A perfect campground for our family may be a horrible campground for someone else.
One campground in particular had a bad review, and the camper didn’t like the strict rule enforcement and the “jerk” that made him park in the front after exceeding the 10 mph speed limit once.
I booked that place and stayed twice. Clean. Well-kept, albeit old. Safe for my kids. Quiet. Friendly. Owner was very nice and took pride in the place. We would stay again.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 10:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
One campground in particular had a bad review, and the camper didn’t like the strict rule enforcement and the “jerk” that made him park in the front after exceeding the 10 mph speed limit once.
This! 🤣

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I read the comments for clues. A perfect campground for our family may be a horrible campground for someone else.
I booked that place and stayed twice. Clean. Well-kept, albeit old. Safe for my kids. Quiet. Friendly. Owner was very nice and took pride in the place. We would stay again.
X2. Also, you have to watch the posting date of the review. Often they are a year or more old. A place can be much different if new managers or owners have come in since then.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:58 PM   #14

Like others have stated, check most recent reviews and check more than Good Sam snd RV park reviews. Also check RVParky.com and Yelp and even hotel travel sites.

I usually leave only positive reviews on RVParky, if the campground is deserving. If I find a campground has some negative reviews that I disagree with I will state so in my review.

I think I have left only one or two negative reviews and that was only because the campground was a real dump.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:51 PM   #15
DGW

Good Sam seems to be OK. But all reviews are kinda like personal ads - you have to read between the lines most of the time. Some people have an axe to grind and just cannot be pleased or leave a bad review because of something outside the campground's control.
DGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
I like campgroundreviews.com
Usually more updated reviews.
I agree. They seem to be more relevant and honest. If I see a 5 star review followed by a 1 star, I look over the bulk of the other reviews. If the average is 3-4, then I take it the one star folks just had a bad experience. Same is true for me avoiding some campgrounds when I read the majority of reviews ranking at 1-2 or so.

The only negative review I ever wrote was for some jackass up in Missouri who refused to refund my full payment over 7 months in advance. I made the reservation and the very next day we changed plans (different route) and I called, less than 24 hours passing and they guy told me "too bad". They had high demand and he wouldn't refund anything from a 4 night stay. I advised if I cancelled, he would be able to let someone else book if he was in such high demand.

Ended up disputing it with Visa and got my money back. Taught me to always read reviews ahead of time. Turns out, he had quite a few 1 star reviews with nearly identical stories.
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:03 PM   #17

I won't repeat what others have said other than to add to the recommendation to take reviews with a grain of salt. Our favorite "regular" CG has a rating of 8.8 on rvparkreviews.

The few bad reviews? Things like "No cable or TV reception". Hmm... How is this the fault of the CG? Maybe that's because you stayed in a place that's in a little valley, heavily wooded, and 60 miles from the nearest TV station. Oh, and no cable company available anywhere in the small town nearby.

Some people get upset when they stay somewhere that allows campfires, but they don't like the smoke. Some don't like noisy kids on a summer afternoon.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:34 PM   #18

Reviews

Reviews are wonderful however when reading them I check how old they are AND if you click on a persons name you can see all the reviews that person has written. I found one person complained a lot so I took their review with a grain of salt
MoToYel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:09 PM   #19

We normally review the selected campground found on numerous websites on Google Maps, sattelite view, to eyeball the park conditions. This has saved us several times from going into questionable grounds.
Pat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:08 AM   #20

A number of RV Park Reviews sound genuine and honest but some of them could be a scam or done by affiliated persons. Better to use common sense to judge better.
JovanKuziel is offline   Reply With Quote