Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-18-2019, 10:10 AM   #1

RV Camping at Texas Renaissance Fest?

Has anyone done this?

We've been toying with the idea for several years. For one reason or another we've always backed out. Now that we have a completely self-contained motorhome, we're thinking it might be a little easier than it would have been in our trailer.

Someone recently gave my family some tickets, so we might have an opportunity to try again.

But I can find surprisingly little anecdotal experience on this. Especially from an RVer's perspective.

One of my main concerns is running my generator. There is no prohibition to generator usage in any of the online material, but I'm wondering how common that is?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:11 PM   #2

It's make believe it's the " Middle Ages " , no generators or deodorant
Just messin with you, never been to one but my DW's nephew is the alcohol sales mgr. at one and you wouldn't believe how high the gross sales are.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post

One of my main concerns is running my generator. There is no prohibition to generator usage in any of the online material, but I'm wondering how common that is?
There is a generator and non-generator area listed under CLANS..#32 & #33
Old 09-18-2019, 07:33 PM   #4

The renaissance festival is not far from me. Literally like 10 miles away. Never camped there but went once when in college. Be forewarned the traffic is absolutely terrible during the festival and it effects us 10 miles away.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:43 AM   #5

Both DW and I are Aggies, so this would most certainly not be my first time to attend. In fact, before I met DW, I dated a girl who worked there. So I've been there MANY times, I've just never been camping there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
It's make believe it's the " Middle Ages " , no generators or deodorant
Just messin with you, never been to one but my DW's nephew is the alcohol sales mgr. at one and you wouldn't believe how high the gross sales are.
Oh yes I would!! I've contributed quite a bit to that number!

And I'm definitely going to be sporting my deodorant, as well as any other technology I need. If the beer wench can take a credit card to fill my cup, then I'm good with bringing a generator! LOL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
There is a generator and non-generator area listed under CLANS..#32 & #33
I don't think that's what that means, or at least I don't think it's accurate for what I'm looking for. Area 32 is nowhere near the camping areas, it's on the complete opposite side of the venue. Area 33 is nowhere to be found on that map? Plus most of those clan designations are inside the venue itself. I'm not sure, but I think that's for the employees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
The renaissance festival is not far from me. Literally like 10 miles away. Never camped there but went once when in college. Be forewarned the traffic is absolutely terrible during the festival and it effects us 10 miles away.
Oh yes, I'm well aware of the traffic nightmare. That's one of the reasons I'm asking this question. I figure if I can show up the night before we plan to go, I can avoid a WHOLE lot of headache. We could get up, make a nice leisurely breakfast, relax and take our time, and when we're ready we just walk in to the park. Plus, if during the day we want to get away and take a little break, we can do that. And when we're done, we can leave through the campground entrance instead of the main gates, and avoid even more problems.

It's probably going to be a moot point anyway. DW is pushing for us to get a hotel room in College Station the night before so we can stomp around Aggieland for a bit. And then try to be at the gates early next morning. This will probably work out just fine, but I still want to consider taking the rig and staying the night. From what I've heard talking to friends, you really need to show up Thursday night if you want a decent camping spot. And that definitely is NOT going to happen...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote