Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-03-2019, 03:03 PM   #1

RV Park - Refuse to accept mail / packages

We ran into the most awful experience today - the KOA in Kingman AZ refused to accept a package from FedEx today that contains Stacy's life sustaining medicine. Insurance will not ship the medicine until the last day you have a remaining dose, but they ship it next day via FedEx. We are still trying to get FedEx to re-deliver today (instead of returning it to the sender - as it was permanently refused by KOA)

I talked to the most bull-headed lady at the front desk who told me that they flat out refuse all packages that need a delivery verification signature. I then asked to talk to the owner, who echo'ed the same KOA policy, and then called the Corporate KOA office to find out that they let each park establish their own policy from park to park.

Think about this... we are traveling across the country, and we know that we will be at the KOA in Kingman for a few days - we work out having our medicine shipped to the RV Park we will be staying at and we stay an extra few days to make sure that we might get a late delivery.

When we make our reservation in advance of our arrival, they know we are coming, but they will not accept packages either, so you cant have it delivered the day before you arrive either (like most other RV parks will accept your packages if you let them know about it)

Now we are faced with going without life-critical medicine that may not get delivered until next week - that is in a refrigerated package that requires a delivery receipt. I guess I am going to have to stand out at the entrance of the Kingman KOA for then next few days waiting to accept a package at the entrance now. I am so ticked off at KOA...
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 03:22 PM   #2

I would definitely have a conversation with your Doctor about this practice of no delivery till The last day of dosage of a life threatening medication!!!
Old 05-03-2019, 03:24 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Unfortunately it are the owners of this particular KOA campground and not KOA in general. Just find out if there's a way you can pick it up from FedEx with an explanation why you need it. For further bookings I would ask each campground if they accept packages. Good Luck!
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 03:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
I would definitely have a conversation with your Doctor about this practice of no delivery till The last day of dosage of a life threatening medication!!!
agree. I suspect this is expensive stuff but regardless the current practice seems out of line with anything we have experienced.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 03:32 PM   #5

Maybe you already have, but have you tried calling Fedex and explaining the situation? Usually you can arrange to go pick up a package at the station, if it is close. We have had to order parts in before while on a trip and we always give the site number in the address and UPS or Fedex has always come right to our spot. I agree that this is a ridiculous policy for this KOA to have and terrible customer service!

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 03:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
It is the Insurance company... and the medicine is $4,790 a dose.

They don't want to send one extra dose if she dies next month.

Old 05-03-2019, 03:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Maybe you already have, but have you tried calling Fedex and explaining the situation? Usually you can arrange to go pick up a package at the station, if it is close. We have had to order parts in before while on a trip and we always give the site number in the address and UPS or Fedex has always come right to our spot. I agree that this is a ridiculous policy for this KOA to have and terrible customer service!
You bet we have... It comes shipped FedEx Priority - the delivery originates out of Las Vegas to Bullhead City - then the local driver has a 150 mile route to Kingman, Oatman, Bullhead and Needles (a loop about 150 miles). He is not likely to be backtracking 80 miles for a re-attempt. We were watching the tracking every hour or so.. It was almost an hour after we discovered the rejected delivery before we got the call to Fedex, now the driver could be a long way away. It does not get delivered by the local ground driver, nor returned to the local FedEx here in Kingman. Once the driver returns back to his location in Bullhead, it might be available for pickup tomorrow in Bullhead City - where we are not close to.

Old 05-03-2019, 03:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
You bet we have... It comes shipped FedEx Priority - the delivery originates out of Las Vegas to Bullhead City - then the local driver has a 150 mile route to Kingman, Oatman, Bullhead and Needles (a loop about 150 miles). He is not likely to be backtracking 80 miles for a re-attempt. We were watching the tracking every hour or so.. It was almost an hour after we discovered the rejected delivery before we got the call to Fedex, now the driver could be a long way away. It does not get delivered by the local ground driver, nor returned to the local FedEx here in Kingman. Once the driver returns back to his location in Bullhead, it might be available for pickup tomorrow in Bullhead City - where we are not close to.

Your only about 20 miles from Bullhead. Look at the other side, they sign for a package and then claim something was missing.. who's responsible? Many campgrounds won't accept packages, KOA and private ones. You can have it delivered to the local office of whatever carrier.. even general delivery with the USPS and pick it up yourself. If she needs a $5,000 med and will die without it, perhaps you need to stay closer to the source of your meds?

I would not blame the campground, unless you called and explained the situation BEFORE hand. If it was that serious, which it appears it is, I would of spoken with them and explained, I'm sure they would accommodate your needs. At campgrounds we have worked at, we did receive packages, only to have the percipient cancel their reservation.. what do we do with a package that we held for over a week ? Two sides to every argument.. Call ahead, then you will know what the policy is.

Good Luck retrieving the package.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 03:59 PM   #9

And I forgot to mention in the OP, I called the front desk this morning to let them know that this package was coming in today. I told them it required a signature and the box will say it requires refrigeration - so they don't set the box in the window in the blaring sun.

And they did not tell me that they reject all packages then???? why?

Now we get to plan an unwanted trip to the Kingman Regional Medical Center tomorrow morning - as a contingency plan...

Old 05-03-2019, 04:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Your only about 20 miles from Bullhead. Look at the other side, they sign for a package and then claim something was missing.. who's responsible? Many campgrounds won't accept packages, KOA and private ones. You can have it delivered to the local office of whatever carrier.. even general delivery with the USPS and pick it up yourself. If she needs a $5,000 med and will die without it, perhaps you need to stay closer to the source of your meds?

I would not blame the campground, unless you called and explained the situation BEFORE hand. If it was that serious, which it appears it is, I would of spoken with them and explained, I'm sure they would accommodate your needs. At campgrounds we have worked at, we did receive packages, only to have the percipient cancel their reservation.. what do we do with a package that we held for over a week ? Two sides to every argument.. Call ahead, then you will know what the policy is.

Good Luck retrieving the package.
We have now spent more than 21 months of being out travelling in our Seneca since we bought it, coast to coast now... We have been having our medicine shipped to our RV park locations for 21 months now - no problems until this park.

We are not full timers, but we try. Every campground (until this one) has provided the most basic of services of package delivery, be that having the Fedex/UPS/Amazon/and even USPS deliver the package to the site, or offer some alternative to the guest. This place is the exception - even when we inquire in advance, they could have given us some understanding that what is typically an accepted practice - is prohibited by this individual park's policy .

Old 05-03-2019, 04:43 PM   #11

If anyone is in a similar situation I recommend having the package sent to the nearest Fedex office and then picking it up. We do this with expensive packages when we know we won't be home.

Good luck!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:55 PM   #12

Stories like this makes us glad that we avoid KOAs - local mom & pop businesses ( of any kind ) are more friendly Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:57 PM   #13

If you are tracking the package, you know the day it is going to be delivered. Since it is MEDICAL, why not give the campground office manager your cell phone number, or that morning drop off a walkie talkie, and ask that management calls you when the FedEx truck arrives. If it's 10:30 next day delivery, get out there fast cuz you don't want to hold up the driver. He/she has more deliveries to make before that 1030 time.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les7h View Post
Stories like this makes us glad that we avoid KOAs - local mom & pop businesses ( of any kind ) are more friendly Les

The vast majority ARE mom and pop locally owned and operated. When you see the other side, packages arriving and no reservation, no one shows us and they have to handle getting them returned. Complaints that something was stolen, or it said it was delivered but wasn't etc... you just end the hassle. 99% of people never have a package delivered, especially without discussing it before they commit to the delivery. I have had packaged delivered, the CG was aware and I was "on property" so I could quickly retrieve the package. Mail can be delivered general delivery to any post office, packages can be held at the shipper and picked up. Assuming someone will do something never turns out well.

Hard lesson to learn, but were all better for knowing this information.

Good Luck in the future.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:33 PM   #15
Site Team

In our travels we have been in parks with all types of mail and package rules. Just another headache to have to resolve. I sure hope you can get this resolved. Meds are definitely a headache on the road.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:40 PM   #16

My sister had a similar issue, there were frequent delays for one reason or no reason. She could not be without the meds. The doc prescribed s few extra doses each month for three months to give her a cushion. It really reduced the monthly stress of worrying about a delay.

All the best to you, hope you get it worked out.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:32 PM   #17

I am confused... in this day in age you can get notification from Fedex or UPS or whomever every step of the way... why would you not get a text massage or go online and check it in the morning and be there when it arrives?

Regardless if the KOA holds it you are asking them to be responsible for something fairly expensive and expendable... sure they could sign for it but if someone forgets to put it in the fridge or they loose track of it they become responsible.. I can't blame them for not signing for anything... they are a campground not a post office or delivery business... My guess is something happened to them in the past...

It is really up to you to make sure something so important is delivered to you. There is more than enough notifications and tracking, you know within a few hours of when it will be there... if the KOA doesn't meet your needs then don't stay there... plenty of other competition...

Good luck...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:46 PM   #18

A campground has their rules... which we all must follow or leave.

Personally, If this package was so important I would have been at the campground office waiting on the delivery truck. The office knows about what time they arrive each day.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:00 AM   #19

I hear y'all but I think this is often a feature offered and the more customer friendly CG's. A very noticeable and clearly written policy on your receipt and at the check in office should alert you of the policy. I would never expect a CG employee to be responsible for valuable or special handling packages but if you give them authority to sign for you then you accept any liability created later.

Campgrounds exist to serve the public. If they provide a comfortable and attractive facility for your stay you are more likely to return and to pass on a good review to others. Those that are more interested in the owners comfort and have restrictive policies that are arbitrary, may not get a lot of return customers. Plan well and choose the nice ones.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:23 AM   #20
Site Team

It could be expensive for you, and I know very well that the insurance company will only fill the prescription at the last minute, but what I did was talk to my doctor and after I received my meds, he gave me another prescription for the same drug. I went to different drug store and got it filled without the insurance company paying. It is an expensive way of doing it, but I have an extra 30 days of the prescription.

As for keeping it refrigerated while traveling, you could keep it in your fridge with ICE packed around it.

Just a thought
Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote