Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-24-2022, 11:54 AM   #1

Scottsdale Arizona 2023

The wife and I are starting early on planning a trip to Scottsdale for SF Giants Spring Training in 2023 in our 39' 5ver TH. Does anyone have any personal recommendations for a mid week stay around the last week of March? We've never been so we're not familiar with how close all the different Stadiums are. We would like to catch a couple games during the week and we're not against driving a little to get to different stadiums depending on the schedule and proximity to Scottsdale Stadium. 55+ is OK and we'll have 1 dog with us. We don't need much as far as amenities and even dry camping is OK provided it's clean and safe. Thanks for any suggestions you might have.
Old 01-24-2022, 12:54 PM   #2
CAG

The last spring training game is March 29. I suggest You Google the spring training calendar since there are about 15 teams on both sides of the Valley and 8 to 10 games scheduled each day beginning February 27th.

If you find something in Mesa/Chandler you are close to SFs field but you need to see if they are playing there on the days you want. Basically what I am saying is it is probably a scheduling nightmare that you need to decide on and then pick a spot

Do it quick because spring break is also during that time and besides hundreds of thousands spring training visitors you have to deal with spring breakers. Many RV spots are already full of snowbirds.

I avoid driving any more than I have to and leave town for a good part of February.

Google Cactus League Spring Training 2022

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 01:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
The last spring training game is March 29. I suggest You Google the spring training calendar since there are about 15 teams on both sides of the Valley and 8 to 10 games scheduled each day beginning February 27th.

If you find something in Mesa/Chandler you are close to SFs field but you need to see if they are playing there on the days you want. Basically what I am saying is it is probably a scheduling nightmare that you need to decide on and then pick a spot

Do it quick because spring break is also during that time and besides hundreds of thousands spring training visitors you have to deal with spring breakers. Many RV spots are already full of snowbirds.

I avoid driving any more than I have to and leave town for a good part of February.

Google Cactus League Spring Training 2022
Thanks, we're looking into 2023. I know it's too far in advance to get reservations or know the schedule. Just looking for RV Resorts/Parks recommendations in the Scottsdale area.
Old 01-24-2022, 02:29 PM   #4
CAG

OK. Sorry I missed the 2023 part of that. It was too obvious

As I said, look at Mesa-Chandler area. There might be one in Snotsdale but that's pretty low life for there unless it is the south end of town.

I am not aware of any "open desert" area around there. You would have to drive some distance to find someplace to dry camp except the Salt River-Pima Reservation and I would not try that at all.

Old 01-24-2022, 04:46 PM   #5
RPR

My brother has lived in the area for a long time. This past year he sold his townhouse in Phoenix and bought a house in SunCity. Reason: The tremendous in flux of people from California. His neighbor hood was becoming unsafe. His old place was right across the street from one of the spring training ball parks. He no longer felt safe. I will get his opinion on Scottsdale.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 04:49 PM   #6
RPR

Last time we went to see him we stayed at Desert Shadows. But we were there for just a couple of days.
Old 01-24-2022, 05:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPR View Post
Last time we went to see him we stayed at Desert Shadows. But we were there for just a couple of days.
Thanks for the info. It is a bit tuff scheduling around games that won't be scheduled until next year but my main concern is finding RV Parks/Resorts near by. That way I can figure out the distances between parks and resorts to have an idea which weeks schedule will work out to be able to catch a couple games with the least travel.
Old 01-24-2022, 05:31 PM   #8
CAG

Quote:
My brother has lived in the area for a long time. This past year he sold his townhouse in Phoenix and bought a house in SunCity. Reason: The tremendous in flux of people from California. His neighbor hood was becoming unsafe. His old place was right across the street from one of the spring training ball parks. He no longer felt safe. I will get his opinion on Scottsdale.

I live here and have for 50+ years. The "tremendous influx" from California is a little over blown but they are coming. That has nothing, and I repeat nothing to do with safety and you brother has "over blown" a non-existent crime problem, especially in Scottsdale but throughout the Valley.

I don't know what training facility he lived across from. There are about 15 teams here during spring training and that means nearly as many facilities, some do share. Some are on the east side of town, one is on the Pima Reservation, and many are on the west side of town. Glendale and Peoria. None are in "bad" neighborhoods so let's not create a false scenario about "neighborhoods".

Old 01-24-2022, 05:43 PM   #9

Quote:
I live here and have for 50+ years. The "tremendous influx" from California is a little over blown but they are coming. That has nothing, and I repeat nothing to do with safety and you brother has "over blown" a non-existent crime problem, especially in Scottsdale but throughout the Valley.

I don't know what training facility he lived across from. There are about 15 teams here during spring training and that means nearly as many facilities, some do share. Some are on the east side of town, one is on the Pima Reservation, and many are on the west side of town. Glendale and Peoria. None are in "bad" neighborhoods so let's not create a false scenario about "neighborhoods".
Thanks for the clarification. I do take comments like that with a grain of salt and look at reviews and such. I always do virtual drive's on street view and see what I'm getting myself into as well.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:29 PM   #10

Since you have some time, check out the Maricopa County park web site. Cave creek regional park is very nice. You will be able to compare locations to where you want to watch baseball and other things to do. Im pretty sure you wont have to drive more than 30 minutes to find a game.

Then mark your calendar to make sure you make reservations 6 months out. The base ball tickets will be easy to get, the camp reservation will not be.
Old 01-24-2022, 08:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuckyFisherman View Post
Since you have some time, check out the Maricopa County park web site. Cave creek regional park is very nice. You will be able to compare locations to where you want to watch baseball and other things to do. Im pretty sure you wont have to drive more than 30 minutes to find a game.

Then mark your calendar to make sure you make reservations 6 months out. The base ball tickets will be easy to get, the camp reservation will not be.
I've looked at Cave Creek and it looks nice. Looks like it's about 30 minutes from Scottsdale Stadium and others. We're used to reserving 6 months in advance. We just reserved 2 weeks in July in the Sierras and have been doing that for years. I'll be watching SeatGeek this season for availability to see how many deals there are close to game day. That's usually what I do for SF games.
Eric H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 10:18 PM   #12

There is nothing in the vicinity of the Scottsdale Stadium. The closest RV parks are going to be in Mesa. If you are going to be driving around the valley to see games, then the west side of Mesa will put you close reach of 5 stadiums. The RV parks will likely be dense and old. The regional parks are further: Cave Creek Regional Park, McDowell Mountain Regional Park, and Usery Mountain regional parks all have decent campgrounds and you'll feel more comfortable when not at a game, but you will need to reserve them the moment the reservation windows open.
ait109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:58 AM   #13
RPR

Sir you are incorrect in your response. My brother did not mention Scottsboro. He mention his neighborhood not all of Phoenix. In the future a response would be more productive if you would respond to what is said.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ait109 View Post
There is nothing in the vicinity of the Scottsdale Stadium. The closest RV parks are going to be in Mesa. If you are going to be driving around the valley to see games, then the west side of Mesa will put you close reach of 5 stadiums. The RV parks will likely be dense and old. The regional parks are further: Cave Creek Regional Park, McDowell Mountain Regional Park, and Usery Mountain regional parks all have decent campgrounds and you'll feel more comfortable when not at a game, but you will need to reserve them the moment the reservation windows open.
This is great thanks. Initially I was more concerned with being close to Scottsdale Stadium but realistically if we're lucky we'll be able to catch two games during the week so that's a lot of time left over to camp. Comfort should probably be a priority.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:05 AM   #15

Eric H.
I agree with AIT109 that if you were to spend some time here at that time of year, the regional parks would be a good choice vice the in town RV parks. On days you were not at the games, you could explore the areas around there. Example would be, if you were to stay at Usery (furthest park to the east) you could still get to your SF games easily within an hour via the 202 & 101 freeways. While there on off days, you could go to the lakes, old gold towns, etc that are out that way. Worst case to see a game on the west side might take you a solid hour of driving from there. The freeways are good here & only so called "bad times" would be rush hour in the morning or evening, short a traffic accident. One thing to note is that traffic moves a little faster here on the freeways vice back east. But if you find it too fast for your driving, just hang out in the right lanes & let the rabbits zoom on by while you enjoy the views of the mountains, etc.. Take some time to enjoy the area while here, that is normally a great time of the year here in the valley weather wise & there is always lots of events / activities to do here at that time of year.
AZMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:02 AM   #16
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMarine View Post
Eric H.
I agree with AIT109 that if you were to spend some time here at that time of year, the regional parks would be a good choice vice the in town RV parks. On days you were not at the games, you could explore the areas around there. Example would be, if you were to stay at Usery (furthest park to the east) you could still get to your SF games easily within an hour via the 202 & 101 freeways. While there on off days, you could go to the lakes, old gold towns, etc that are out that way. Worst case to see a game on the west side might take you a solid hour of driving from there. The freeways are good here & only so called "bad times" would be rush hour in the morning or evening, short a traffic accident. One thing to note is that traffic moves a little faster here on the freeways vice back east. But if you find it too fast for your driving, just hang out in the right lanes & let the rabbits zoom on by while you enjoy the views of the mountains, etc.. Take some time to enjoy the area while here, that is normally a great time of the year here in the valley weather wise & there is always lots of events / activities to do here at that time of year.

He is not back east. He is in California. Same freeway traffic as here but thicker. And as I mentioned before-Spring Training, Spring Break and snowbirds. There is no down time on the streets and freeways in March and April.

Be aware that most if not all of the county parks do not have on site dump hookup. Some may not have dump stations but most should.

Old 01-25-2022, 11:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMarine View Post
Eric H.
Usery Mountain looks like a strong possibility and probably the closest to Scottsdale Stadium of the Regional Parks. Reservation window is 6 months out. You mention "old gold towns". I don't see anything obvious on the map, do you have names of these towns?
Old 01-25-2022, 11:06 AM   #18
CAG

Quote:
Sir you are incorrect in your response. My brother did not mention Scottsboro. He mention his neighborhood not all of Phoenix. In the future a response would be more productive if you would respond to what is said.

Where is Scottsboro? LOL I am fine with my response. I don't think the people from California made your brother's place "unsafe".

Old 01-25-2022, 11:10 AM   #19
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H. View Post
Usery Mountain looks like a strong possibility and probably the closest to Scottsdale Stadium of the Regional Parks. Reservation window is 6 months out. You mention "old gold towns". I don't see anything obvious on the map, do you have names of these towns?

If it is close to Usery, it is probably the Superstition Mountains, Apache Junction places. Nice to visit but touristy.

Old 01-25-2022, 11:12 AM   #20

Quote:
He is not back east. He is in California. Same freeway traffic as here but thicker. And as I mentioned before-Spring Training, Spring Break and snowbirds. There is no down time on the streets and freeways in March and April.

Be aware that most if not all of the county parks do not have on site dump hookup. Some may not have dump stations but most should.
It's funny how freeway traffic can differ from place to place. I think Los Angeles traffic flows better than San Francisco.

It's just my wife and I and we've dry camped for 9 days without dumping so 5 should be no problem.