Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-29-2016, 08:39 AM   #1

seasonal site camping.

As a seasonal site camper who camps just about every weekend (plus a few full weeks) from mid May to mid October, I was wondering how many other folks have seasonal sites and why?

I'm just curious about a few things..

1. Why do you choose a seasonal site camping vs hauling rig from park to park during camping season?

2. Do you use the same seasonal site year after year? Or do you change CG/sites from year to year?

3. How far is your seasonal site from home?

4. Are you able to put things on your lot that make it feel more like yours? ie.. storage sheds, outside shower stall, planters, etc...

5. Do you feel you get your money's worth from your seasonal site cost?

6. Does anyone full time at their seasonal site for the season?

I know for us with our only child all grown up, the DW and I just love to zip out of the city and head to our seasonal in our favorite town down on Cape Cod on the weekend. The trip is about 130 miles each way. This is our second year at the same site. Seasonal rate includes winter storage at the site, so the rig never moves (less wear and tear). It's almost like having a beach house!
Old 08-29-2016, 05:34 PM   #2

We went the seasonal route this year for the first time. For us, it gave us an opportunity to use the trailer every weekend and to really get to know it. To date, I'm 50+ nights of use into in thus far since mid-May of this year. That's pretty good for a M-F job responsibility 55 miles from the campground (home is 25 miles away). It's also probably our last year with both kids at home as one child is under contract to buy his own house and our other is headed to college and summer jobs. It has been a very special summer for us as a family and the camper has had an amazing effect on the family dynamic...my 2 children like to test and challenge each other on almost every occasion but when they're at the campground they get along so well much to my utter pleasure and amazement. We'll keep the seasonal site for next year but pull off it a little more often to tour the Northeast. Oldest child already has his eye on a camper of his own and seasonal site for next year right next to us. To answer your question in more detail, yes we do personalize our sites. We have added an 8'x20' portable deck and a resin storage unit. Friends next to us have put up a screened gazebo. To each their own I guess, but we feel we have certainly received value from our investment.

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:36 PM   #3

Our seasonal site is on the beautiful Ohio river and is aprox 15 miles from our home. We have full hook ups (power, water and sewer), covered deck and a view that you would have to reserve months in advance to duplicate at a public campground. Having a seasonal site for us is like having a "summer home" without the mortgage. The seasonal rate $$$ (12 month lease) for us is about the same as if we were to travel to a resort area for a weeks - in season - stay, travel, hotel, meals and entertainment. So whether we use if for 2 weeks or twelve, it's cost effective. We DO tow and travel to different campgrounds during the season (May - October) and our seasonal spot provides a convenient parking (storage) location when we return. We do mow grass and have some personal landscaping installed, to personalize out site. Campers are campers and we enjoy our neighbors - there are NO full time sites at our campground, all units need to be capable of being moved and there are no "derelict" RV's on site.
We made the decision to lease seasonal space about 10 years ago (this our second location, for the past 5 years) and it has proven to be one of the best "camping" decisions we have made. We get maximum use of our RV and are able to "get away" as often as we wish. It is also available for our adult kids when we are not using it.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:33 PM   #4

This is our 10th year on a seasonal site that we have access to from April thru October. It's about 160 miles from our sticks n bricks and a little more than half way between us, our kids and siblings. Being able to meet midway for weekends or have our own pillow within 2 hours of family events has been great. We've taken road trips from the seasonal site so we learn to minimize "stuff" to make the pack n go easier. We also bring it home for winter storage which involves full cleaning before locking the door. I joke that it's a money saving expense as we aren't home spending money on stuff we don't need.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:19 PM   #5

We have owned our site for 23 years. We just leave the trailer set up and when we arrive all we have to do is carry in clothes and food. We are right on the St.Joe River and can float, swim, boat, fish from the small dock. It has forest land on the back side and we can bike, ATV or SXS right from the property. We have power and a pumper truck stops when needed.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 06:03 PM   #6

We've had the same seasonal site for 9 years. Love it. About an hour and a half from our home in Tennessee to Western Ky and the great Ky lake. Small campground, know everybody well. Great managers and great neighbors. Until we get out of the Mon-Fri thing we'll probably keep doing it this way. Hoping in the next few we can hit the road.
2002 Dodge 2500
2019 Ram 3500
Kevin and Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 07:03 PM   #7

We have been seasonal camping at the beach on the east coast of Florida about 2 hours from our home in Central Florida. We have been doing this for 10 years. sometimes we rent from May-August, some times the month of July other times various weekends depending what our summer plans are. We have rented from the same owner and love OUR spot. It is great, our "Beach House on Wheels". We have tried to purchase the spot, but the owner rents it for the winter season which commands a lot higher rent so she is not ready to sell yet. My goal is one day to own our spot. It is great because a group from our town go each summer which makes it a lot of fun especially when the kids were small. This is actually how we got into camping. We also weekend camp other times in the year and have done one cross country trip to National Parks. Spring Break is at the 12 Hours of Sebring and other school breaks to NC. Now that our son is in college, our traveling destinations might change to longer trips exploring other areas of the country. But, I love spending weekends during the summer at the beach. Plus we have space to park our boat too. It is very reasonable and includes full hookup, use of the marina, large pool, clubhouse and 1,000 feet of beach on the Atlantic. We traded our motorhome this summer for the camper. Since we seasonal camp more, it did not make sense to have an expensive motorhome sit either at the beach or in our backyard. Our camper better suits our camping style.

"Let the Reel Cool Times Roll !!!!!
ReelCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 02:58 PM   #8

We rent a space at Lake Fork & use it year round. We needed a place to store it after we sold our business & retired so put at the lake.
We still hook on & travel however, its why we have a rv.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote